Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

This is literally 500 or fewer feet from a Green Line station. Does this project really need 323 parking spaces for 270 units, even with the supermarket?

So, I live near here and frequent the current Whole Foods at this location...it absolutely astounds me how many people choose to drive to do their shopping here. The present surface lot is almost always full (or at least 2/3 full), and there are frequent traffic jams of people trying to get in/out of the lot...but, to boot, this is a pedestrian-heavy area, with lots of people doing their shopping on foot...and so the parking lot is just a train wreck of pedestrian-vs-car. I honestly don't know what to say about why this is what it is here...

Separate thought: this project is definitely big enough to deserve it's own thread.

I don't think it is enough to say "this site is 500 feet from a GL stop." I probably don't know this area as well as you, but I've been there a number of times. A lot of people in Brighton and Brookline have cars, even if they don't drive it to work/school daily. I dare say most people in the area have cars.

Would you agree that transit in this area is "commuting-oriented" and while it sits right between two transit lines, it isn't a place with a strong transit network?

I think that is a distinction between an area like Brighton compared to say Central or Harvard Square. While those squares also sit pretty far out on a spoke of our hub-an-spoke rail network, they are heavily serviced by buses in all directions as well. That makes more trips possible/desirable without a car and people who don't own or don't want to use their car much may gravitate there. I don't mean 100% of everybody, but let's say more than half.

By contrast, aside from the 65 bus this area of Brighton/Brookline is served only by radial transit leading downtown. That may contribute to more of a bedroom community feel and is perhaps more likely to attract folks who are eager for a transit ride downtown, but are quick to hop in the car for any other trip. Again, that doesn't mean 100%, but likely more than half.

The people in each area who are in the sizable minority probably feel a lot of tension. For you, that is being a pedestrian/transit-oriented person in an area that has a fair % of car users. It really irks you that WF has so much parking. Your counterpoint is someone who is inclined to jump in the car all the time, but lives in Central (or maybe say Inman) and is irked that WF has so little parking.

I think transit networks contribute much more to encouraging car-free/car-light behavior patterns than radial lines alone. Population density is important too, but this area clearly has the density. I think a transit network may be the secret sauce that makes the difference between what feels like an strongly urban, inner-neighborhood and a transitional outer-neighborhood.

I'll conclude by saying that adding this much parking is a big mistake. It is just feeding the beast. One effective tool the city can do to discourage overuse of cars is to make it miserable to use cars. Over time, the people who don't mind living car-light or car-free will gravitate to the area and displace the dissatisfied car-addicted folks.

^fattony,

I appreciate the elements of systems thinking in your post.

I think the configuration of the surrounding neighborhoods, particularly on the Brookline side, lend themselves to a car culture, perhaps with the exception of commuting to work (as you note).

My point was more along the lines of "this isn't working" with regard to the present parking lot situation. It's a dysfunctional configuration w/ regard to car/pedestrian interaction and lack of supporting infrastructure (e.g., there's only one street that serves this, and it's not uncommon for the back-up from the Washington/Comm traffic light to extend back past the parking lot entrance/exits). I'm just surprised so many driver's opt to just keep piling-on-in...but, I guess, as you point out, the present system of other factors nonetheless encourages this. I get that it's a personal choice, but I own a car in this neighborhood and yet feel compelled not to contribute to this dysfunction.

As people have pointed out, there are other semi-urban supermarkets in/around Boston with this same issue (some even worse than this one).

At least the new/proposed supermarket has a sidewalk entrance so the cars and peds won't have to interact as much as the present situation.

One last note:
While I for the most part agree with your characterization of the present situation at this location, I really think this area is about to have a big identity crisis. There are more than 1,000 residential units proposed/under construction between St. Elizabeth's and Washington Sq. The density is increasing, there will be more of a "streetwall" soon and there will be more and more pedestrians. I am genuinely wondering how things will respond (funny you mention the 65 bus...this is a classic example of commuter-focused, as it is full during rush hour times, but has too sparse a schedule to be useful off-rush hour and is therefore not as utilized as it could be...I would think that this bus route could/should increase in off-peak frequency once all these developments come in...otherwise it's a missed/wasted opportunity).

I'll conclude by saying that adding this much parking is a big mistake. It is just feeding the beast. One effective tool the city can do to discourage overuse of cars is to make it miserable to use cars. Over time, the people who don't mind living car-light or car-free will gravitate to the area and displace the dissatisfied car-addicted folks.

This is a much more measured take on what I was getting at in my initial post. I'm not saying the project should be bereft of parking, but it's obvious to me that there's going to be too much here.

The city should be actively encouraging car-light living, and this project does the opposite. It's not the only piece of the car-light puzzle in this area, but it is an important one.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, fattony.

EDIT: Same for you, bigpicture.

The document says that the parking allocation is:

- WF retains 151 parking spaces (same as now)

- Residential units get the 172 net new spaces (0.64 per unit)

The spaces per unit seems pretty good for the area. I might prefer 0.5, but 0.64 isn't too shabby.

I wonder if the 151 spaces for the grocery store will continue to fill up the way they do now. I would be interested to know if there is a difference in utilization between surface spaces and garage spaces for retail. The surface lot is an invitation to drive while the garage capacity is hidden.

I understand the effort to maximize this site for $$ and can appreciate creating a street wall along all three sides so there is street activation, but it should be noted this site is not necessarily urban and should be designed with the surrounding vernacular in mind, utilizing setbacks and landscaping with two or three slim mid- rise towers, similar to North Point Cambridge planning. Granted, the brick towers across the street from the site are dated, but the site design of those towers works well in this neighborhood, density with breathing room. Traffic wise, I wish the developer would be mandated to include a bus stop with a median strip and overhang along Washington, especially with the supermarket program, in so passengers are protected from the elements while waiting/ boarding.( # 65 is always packed) A large “two-bus length” off street area would help street traffic tremendously. Also, some land taking in order to add a left turn on Cory Road onto Washington would be helpful. Traffic will always be an issue. Parking is a money maker. In exchange the City should be requiring more from developers to help with the public transportation effort whenever they are selling parking.

Nov 19 meeting - Improved Soldiers Field Road Crossings at Telford Street and Everett

Department of Conservation and Recreation - PUBLIC MEETING
Improved Soldiers Field Road Crossings at Telford Street and Everett Street in Allston

Monday, November 19, 2018 – 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Josephine A. Fiorentino Community Center, Charlesview Inc.
123 Antwerp Street Extension, Brighton, MA 02135

At this public meeting, DCR will present an update on a project to provide improved pedestrian and bicycle access between the Charles River Reservation and adjacent residential neighborhoods at crossings on Soldiers Field Road at Telford Street and Everett Street in Allston. DCR, along with our project team, will present and solicit public comments on design concepts for at-grade crossings at the two locations.

The presentation made will be viewable after the public meeting on DCR’s website at www.mass.gov/dcr/past-public-meetings. The public will be invited to submit comments after the meeting, with a deadline for receipt by DCR of Tuesday, December 4, 2018. Comments may be submitted online at www.mass.gov/dcr/public-comment or by writing to the Department of Conservation and Recreation, Office of Public Outreach, 251 Causeway Street, Suite 600, Boston, MA 02114.

If you have questions or concerns or would like to be added to an email list to receive DCR general or project-specific announcements, please email Mass.Parks@state.ma.us or call 617-626-4973.

https://www.mass.gov/event/improved...d-street-and-everett-street-in-allston-2018-0

Entrance ramp to the skate park should have been steeper. They could have done something like the bro bowl in Tampa. Looks like a good park tho

39626426755_f417c266b6_o.png

The Jaguar/Land Rover project is moving forward. The existing Infinity Dealership has now vacated the site and the right half of the existing building is emptied. Honda dealer on the left side appears still active.

Not a huge fan of this, but, in fairness, the design presented to BCDC last year and approved is much better than earlier renders (note the more extensive glass compared to earlier render)...and at least it is much better than what's there now.

From the BCDC presentation:

96IkAZ5.jpg

0AIVcov.png

jZdA7xA.png

I mean yea its cool for a car dealership. If a dealership is gonna be there thats a great way to do it imo.

0.884709001521208285.png

“Located at the edge of Allston's Union Square, 37-43 North Beacon Street will deliver a five-story building containing 72 apartments for rent, as well as a separate four-story building made up of nine for-sale condominiums. Apartments will comprise 12 two-bedroom units, 46 one-bedroom units and 14 studios. The rental building will occupy four floors of mixed income housing above an at-grade lobby with flexible art gallery/amenity space.

The condo building will consist of 2 three-bedroom units, 2 two-bedroom units, 4 one-bedroom units and one studio unit, with garage parking accessible from Sinclair Road.”

30ThornSt.png

“Located in the East River Street neighborhood of Hyde Park, the 30 Thorn Street project includes the construction of a new six-story building with 45 residential rental units and 21 off-street parking spaces located in the building's parking garage.

The anticipated unit mix comprises 15 studio units, 15 one-bedroom units, 10 two-bedroom units and 5 three-bedroom units.”

https://news.bostonrealestate.com/bpda-approves-three-development-projects-over-250-residential-units

Back