Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

PHP:
[HTML][HTML][/HTML][url]http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2018/01/more_details_unveiled_for_giant_stop_shop_project_in_allston[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FD6KT5][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/26017747478_ff41e58613_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/FD6KT5]012318allston002[/url][/QUOTE]

:mad: barely scores a B ....or is it just the render?

[QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"]we seem to have this knack for creating relentlessly B- architecture. Everything is sort of OK, but nothing is exciting. 
Also we should note that of these buildings some of these are actual office buildings, others are residential, and you can 
barely differentiate between the two.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

is there a rule all neighborhood upgrades start at "turd 1" phase,

or am i being kind of hard?

e1zBYIMh.png

Lol, looks like they took their "inspiration" from some other buildings. The Watermark one is pretty much exactly a shortened copy.

This isn't exactly a location where I expected something particularly exciting. If they stick with their original plan for quantity of residential units I'd think this development was a good thing even if the buildings were outright ugly.

Lol, looks like they took their "inspiration" from some other buildings. The Watermark one is pretty much exactly a shortened copy.

I thought the same thing, but I wonder if those are the actual designs or glorified placeholders. This is the site plan they're filing here. I'd assume each building would have to go past the BCDC separately.

I thought the same thing, but I wonder if those are the actual designs or glorified placeholders. This is the site plan they're filing here. I'd assume each building would have to go past the BCDC separately.

Building 1 is the only one whose design is really being put forward at the moment. Quoting from the PNF:

Building 1 constitutes the initial phase of the long-term multi- phased redevelopment project. Therefore, the Proponent is seeking BCDC approval of Building 1 at this time and will provide the appropriate level of detailed plans to obtain the necessary approval.

This disclaimer is on the rendering *NOTE: BUILDING EXTERIORS ARE SHOWN FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE
So this could be a 115 Winthrop bait and switch too.

I agree, each of those is big enough for large project review on its own. So place holders for sure.

Wow, this is a very dense development for Allston. A good bit taller then the neighboring New Balance development.

I wonder why Braintree St wouldn't connect to Arthur St to complete the grid?

A good bit taller then the neighboring New Balance development.

Really? Looking at the first cross section pic posted by BeeLine above (3rd pic from 1/30/18 post), these buildings barely look taller than the New Balance development.

Really? Looking at the first cross section pic posted by BeeLine above (3rd pic from 1/30/18 post), these buildings barely look taller than the New Balance development.

This is a good pic since it has heights.

New Balance has completed ~198' residential, planned ~195' hotel. Allston Yards is 2x200', 210', 235' . I'll leave the question of whether that is "a good bit taller" to the semanticists.

Ok maybe I should have just said taller, and not a good bit taller.

Still this is looking like it's becoming an very dense area. A density where a few commuter rail trains a day is inadequate, and other forms of rapid transit (bus lanes, rail, etc) should be studied.

There are 5-6 rush hour morning trains. Not ideal, but certainly enough frequency for M-F commuters.

There are 5-6 rush hour morning trains. Not ideal, but certainly enough frequency for M-F commuters.

Enough frequency for a suburban apartment complex. Not enough frequency for a dense urban neighborhood, one approaching the density of places like Assembly or the Seaport that have rapid transit.

Ok maybe I should have just said taller, and not a good bit taller.

Still this is looking like it's becoming an very dense area. A density where a few commuter rail trains a day is inadequate, and other forms of rapid transit (bus lanes, rail, etc) should be studied.

It's a bit of a hike (1/2 mile) but it's walkable I guess to B. Not that B is a great option. Indigo would be more ideal yes.

I wonder why Braintree St wouldn't connect to Arthur St to complete the grid?

Maybe Pedestrians > Cars (?)

Arthur Street @ Braintree Ext. looks to be where pedestrians unload from the transit station. I think it's clear the goal for Braintree Ext. is to serve exclusively as an alley access for the garages at Allston Yards and nothing more. I think it's smart planning to cut off vehicular traffic at that juncture and give commuter rail users the safe pedestrian facility to unload onto.

Back