Arsenal Yards | Arsenal Mall Redevelopment | Watertown

Looks like a great crosstown system connecting Watertown and Somerville. How serious is this plan? This is the first time I heard of it.

It's not. There's a push from STEP to bring the GLX to Porter, which will likely happen fairly soon after Union is up and running. This corresponds with Watertown piecing the Watertown Branch RoW back together to the Square. Their main aim is a unified Watertown Community Path along the corridor, but it's wide enough to accommodate a trail and trains, assuming they get the real estate together. An extension beyond Porter is just something that will begin to be discussed after Porter's done, especially if there's a lot of development around Arsenal. Could also be done in a dual phase Porter-Arsenal, and then a jog to the Square/Yard later, since that involves street-running when the RoW hits Mouth Auburn Street, which invariably involves messier politics.

Athena Health is a leader in Healthcare IT and being based in Watertown, they really could be a great anchor to attract other companies in that sector of IT to the area.

Latest on this from the Globe:

Large development proposed for Arsenal Street in Watertown

By Jaclyn Reiss | GLOBE STAFF JANUARY 02, 2014

Watertown planners are reviewing a proposed development for Arsenal Street that would add 300 residential units and 37,100 square feet of retail and restaurant space to the area.

Developers from the Hanover Co. submitted a plan last month to raze a vacant industrial building and other offices at 202-204 Arsenal St. and 58 Irving St. to make way for the mixed-use complex, said Watertown planning director Steve Magoon.

The commercial space would likely house shops, at least one restaurant, and possibly a grocery store, Magoon said. The site plan is being reviewed by town planners, and a formal proposal will be presented to the Planning Board this spring, he said.

Planning Board chairman John Hawes Jr. said he thinks the Arsenal Street corridor will be the next section of Watertown to see major changes, especially as Athenahealth Inc. and Boston developer Boylston Properties announced last summer that they would buy the Arsenal Mall and two nearby properties.

The companies hope to transform the nearly mile-long stretch into an area teeming with loft apartments, hip restaurants, and trendy boutiques catering to entrepreneurs and technology workers at nearby companies.

“I think the Arsenal corridor is the next area that’s going to be looked at carefully,” Hawes said, noting that town officials are considering a variance request from Boylston Properties for a seven-story hotel on the former Charles River Saab site near the Arsenal Mall.

Hawes said he hopes to see projects providing a combination of residential units, retail space, and offices for research and development companies.

“A mixture of uses in a town is a good thing,” he said. “It helps the town’s tax base.”

Hawes said that he also hopes to see more family-friendly residential developments, with larger units than the one- and two-bedroom apartments usually snapped up by young professionals or empty nesters.

“Families are the glue that help a town have a sense of community,” he said. “A town like this needs families and an emphasis on schools, as opposed to people who come and then leave.”

Hawes said he has not formally reviewed the 202-204 Arsenal St. development plan, but has heard about it, and prefers the proposal to a big-box retailer.

“It’s going to add traffic, but Arsenal is a big street,” he said. “I also think the project is set back and has enough room around it that it won’t be an eyesore.”

Still, Hawes said he is expecting neighbors to express apprehension and he will seriously consider any concerns they might have.

Some proposals that have come before Watertown in recent years, particularly in the so-called Pleasant Street corridor, have sparked opposition over traffic, parking, pedestrian safety, environmental concerns, and aesthetics.

A proposal for a 14-unit condominium complex at 192 Pleasant St. was rejected by the Planning Board last spring following neighborhood opposition. In November, the board approved a special permit for a 65-unit mixed-use complex at 60 Howard St. and 45 Bacon St., where Circle Supply used to operate.

The proposal for 202-204 Arsenal St. is outside of the Pleasant Street corridor, which runs west of Watertown Square along the Charles River, but Magoon said he wouldn’t be surprised to see concerns raised by residents.

“After everything with Pleasant Street, any project in town will have increased scrutiny,” he said.

However, Magoon said, Watertown residents should weigh the benefits of the proposed development on Arsenal Street.

“I think from the town’s economic development perspective, it’s important to move forward,” he said.

Colleen Sexton, a vocal opponent of large-scale developments in her neighborhood along the Pleasant Street corridor, said she worries that traffic would become even more congested in the center of town if the Arsenal Street proposal goes through as is.

“Three hundred units is a lot of units, plus whatever goes in there for business and retail,” she said. “Anybody who drives through Watertown Square, particularly in rush hour, knows it’s already difficult to get through.”

Sexton said she was also concerned by the large scope of the project, suggesting that the Planning Board might do well to drastically reduce the number of residential units before approving the project.

“I would caution the board against the things we’ve seen in the Pleasant Street corridor, and hope they take these concerns seriously and learn from what’s happened here,” she said.

^This is a different deal, more like the edge of Watertown Square where the Arsenal area begins. Anecdotally I find that specific area to be the one that can absorb more car traffic -- Main St. and Mt. Auburn not so much, as well as anything Newton-ward. If enough of the new trips generated go easterly via North Beacon and/or Charles River Rd., then traffic should be absorbed quite nicely.

Plus that site is a couple blocks from the 71 (closer if you plow a footpath through that poor boat owner's backyard, but I digress), which could probably take more boardings on that end of the route. It's a 10-minute walk to the express buses and the other Watertown Yard connections, and hey, even the 70 stops at your door if you're feeling masochistic. Close to the Charles and all bike connections from there, and Watertown is looking to build even more bike infrastructure at that exact spot.

Go big, Watertown. Liking the ambition a lot.

“It’s going to add traffic, but Arsenal is a big street,” he said. “I also think the project is set back and has enough room around it that it won’t be an eyesore.”

How does a setback automatically make a project not an eyesore? What kind of "logic" is this? Apparently something built up to the sidewalk here would be offensive.

The opposition to this demonstrates Classic American NIMBY development priorities too. Anxiety over increased traffic coupled with a demand to reduce density: "My car is more important than homes for others."

How does a setback automatically make a project not an eyesore? What kind of "logic" is this? Apparently something built up to the sidewalk here would be offensive.

The opposition to this demonstrates Classic American NIMBY development priorities too. Anxiety over increased traffic coupled with a demand to reduce density: "My car is more important than homes for others."

Brad -- This isn't Southern California -- "Classic American NIMBY Development Priorities" is a cliche which seems to erupt when someone in a residential neighborhood of single family homes is concerned with the impact of a new nearby development on local traffic and noise

While the area around the Arsenal has been heavy industrial / institutional for several centuries, a lot of the Watertown residential areas closer to Watertown Sq. date from the "Streetcar Suburbs Era" before there were many cars -- the owners often have to contend with quiet narrow residential streets being used as commuting thoroughfares

It's certainly possible that the opposition to the mixed use is ignorant NIMBYism -- its also possible that it is carefully considered and reasoned -- unless you have an inside or insight to the people opposed -- they deserve and opportunity to make their case just as muich as does the proponent of the project

Transforming a 1980s-era mall into an urban plaza surrounded by walkable shopping, dining, and housing.

https://courbanize.com/projects/arsenal-project/information

bFIDYVm.jpg

rOLLb5I.jpg

ZIZ1JVv.jpg

ss6z8QG.jpg

qcyO4ZE.jpg

9jMr67C.jpg

HveTkJd.jpg

3dwnx3P.jpg

gflmNZS.jpg

q7xg8ZA.jpg

Thought there was a thread on this, is there any breaking news? Still loving the project.

Woops didn't even think to check that thread, I did a search for Arsenal Yards and didn't see a thread about it, but didn't think to check the Watertown thread.

This is big enough to have it's own thread separate from the general Watertown thread.

This is happening right across the street from me ,traffic is a nitemare lately, can't imagine how it will be when this is done

Parking garage under construction which now that I'm looking at the renderings this is actually in the Arsenal and not part of this project ,however the parking lot in front of the mall is fenced off and has those drilling rigs? set up

Assembly is a much better development compared to this. Assembly is a transit orientated development, this is sprawl.

Good project, it's hard to tell from the renderings but I do hope they keep most of the original structure, as it's nice and historic architecture.

We really need a T stop here. If only the red line were extended through Belmont to Watertown...

It's the 21st liberal urban American version of sprawl... basically Legacy Place with apartments on top. But honestly... what would be better? Yeah, it would be awesome if they built 20 narrow streets with six story row house-type apartment buildings, but that ain't gonna happen. This is the inner suburbs version of the Seaport, and it's honestly about as good as we're probably gonna get.

If we were a socialized government, a project like this might be controlled by a higher authority and we'd get a major development and a transit line... but with our little 100% independent municipal fiefdom system, we'll never have anything like that.

Back