Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

I am encouraged that the vision of future phases and the pushing of the City of Somerville is to expand this urbanist footprint to the rest of the development over time.

Absolutely. Keep in mind this is still just four buildings in an otherwise vast sea of vacancy. The success of these four buildings is

1) Their relationship with each other
2) Their proximity to the river, which serves as a natural barrier and perfect origin point for the development
3) Their not having screwed up denser-than-usual future development (read: Seaport Square's massive sidewalks and boulevards)

Case in point on the last: Take a look at how Parcel 9 neatly aligns with Grand Union Blvd on top and the pickup/dropoff road of Assembly Square Marketplace below. Each of the parking lots to the left of Parcel 9 could be redeveloped into parking garages and new buildings without requiring a funky roadway workaround. And they'd feel like a natural extension of this original plan.

HYVwwYC.png

I really need to get down there myself. I'm curious to know from those who have been there: are these pictures just literally the best urbanistic shots one can take in the development - i.e., if the cameraman turned his head 30 degrees to the left, would he see a field of parking? Just from the maps I get the sense that there are one or two "closed" urban streets here, and then turn a corner and BAM: big box and parking lot. Would love to know if that's true...

It is and it isn't. Once you get about 10' into the development you feel like you're in a city. As mentioned above, the narrow streets really help a lot. Even if youre looking "out" of the development, it still feels enclosed. I'm not sure if I posted this the last time, but this is right on the edge, with building 3 on the left and 4 on the right. It's kind of like a little urban oasis.
14166297072_b2cfddcfcc_b.jpg

FYI, the Legoland is having an adult night on Wednesday, June 18th from 6 - 9 PM for those of us who enjoy Legos but do not have the joy of children in our lives.

From Grand Union Boulevard it looks like a row of massive parking garages. Inside the development it is better.

It would be nice to get that bridge+locks crossing opened so we could walk/bike/cart across from Assembly Row to Costco, etc ... I live in Northpoint and would be much more likely to visit both areas than bike around...

I had a chance to visit Assembly Row last weekend. I was skeptical of things looking cheap, etc. In person, I think this place works and was pretty impressed. Other than the smell of the Mystic… Either way, can't wait to go back!

FYI in case anyone was wondering: this place is like some sort of athletic shoe mecca. They've got an Adidas, Puma, Nike, and Converse open. There's supposed to be a Reebok down there too, but I didn't see it.

All of that synthetic fabric can't be good for Sports Authority across the street. The store demographics are a tad bizarre right now at partial buildout.

isnt reebok adidas? why have both?

Reebok is a subsidiary of Adidas, but the two companies focus on different product lines. Reebok still makes all the NHL jerseys, while Adidas is largely focused on Soccer, Football, Basketball and Running.

Biergarten coming to Assembly Row:

Boston Magazine said:
Somerville Brewing Company is creating a beer garden called American Fresh Taproom at Assembly Row.

The outdoor space is being constructed from recycled shipping containers and will seat 100 people.

"Currently scheduled to open on July 30, the new restaurant and bar will pair eight rotating Slumbrew draft beers with fresh local food, sandwiches, and charcuterie."

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2014/07/05/slumbrew-unveil-beer-garden-assembly-row/

10394065_10152140895176333_4021443001558392616_n.jpg

Im with Dave on this one. No frills picnic tables are the way to go.

Back