Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

My guess is it will become a parking lot until the city decides if/what/how much Eminent Domain it's going to pull in the area surrounding Assembly Row, and if/when a deal for a Revs SSS is ever signed between the city and the Krafts.

It's been vacant for 6 or 7 years. Seems bizarre to go to the expense of razing it now just to leave it as a lot. If there's one thing the area doesn't lack at the moment it's parking. Only thought I have is it could be just a few more spots just in time for the T stop, which will drive commuters to this area with abandon.

It's been vacant for 6 or 7 years. Seems bizarre to go to the expense of razing it now just to leave it as a lot. If there's one thing the area doesn't lack at the moment it's parking. Only thought I have is it could be just a few more spots just in time for the T stop, which will drive commuters to this area with abandon.

Unless a lot has been going on behind the scenes and either a) a stadium is imminent, or b) it's for sure not happening, I don't know why some sort of development would be going forward here if this plot would be necessary for a stadium to fit in Assembly. That's my only reasoning for thinking it's just being razed to an empty lot for the time being.

Maybe the demolition is just simply that whatever gets built there will not reuse the crappy theater building and with the station, assembly row construction and upcoming partners building, the owner got a good price on them knocking the thing down.

Not the same location, but exciting nonetheless. There is some staging for this spot currently in parcel 5B a block north of the old AMC. It's delayed because they never shipped the shipping containers.

I don't think you have the location right but maybe I misunderstood. I live in the apartments at Assembly Row and the shipping container bar is next to the new AMC and the new parking lot.

The New Assembly Row MBTA Stop Is Opening Soon

MBTA
The New Assembly Row MBTA Stop Is Opening Soon
Just a few more weeks to go.
By Steve Annear | Boston Daily | August 15, 2014 1:52 pm

Image via MBTA

Image via MBTA

Next stop: Somerville.

An MBTA official confirmed Friday that the new Assembly Square T Station will be welcoming riders to the Assembly Row mixed-use redevelopment site real soon, so they can shop, peruse the Legoland display, and check out an array of eateries, without having to rely on a car to get there.

“It will be open to the public within a few weeks,” said T spokesman Joe Pesaturo.

An exact date was not specified, but passengers should expect to have access to the new stop before month’s end. The T will meet its scheduled August target date, debuting the new stop in Somerville “before every last element of the project is finished in the fall.”

The “substantial completion” of the overall project, which will make it the 20th stop along the Orange Line, is slated for sometime in November.

Somerville officials said Friday that the date of the opening in conjunction with MBTA officials “should be finalized very soon,” and could come as early as next Monday.

The multi-million dollar Assembly Square MBTA stop, paid for through a public-private partnership with state and federal agencies, as well as the developer, Federal Realty Investment Trust, has been in the works for years, leading to weekend train diversions and bus replacement services that left many passengers frustrated during their commute.

Once opened, the Assembly station will add an extra stop along the T’s Orange Line, just past Sullivan Square, making it the first Somerville stop accessible by that specific train line, and the first rapid transit stop added in more than two decades.

“The people of Somerville fought for this station,” said Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone. “We made the case that this was the right thing to do for our community and that it was smart business infrastructure investment for the state.”

The construction of the new station was part of the Assembly Row redevelopment project, a massive overhaul of a large-scale piece of property that sits on the outskirts of Somerville, just beyond I-93. Aside from the designated MBTA stop that carries passengers in from Boston or Malden, the Assembly Row project has included the addition of The Somerville Brewing Company’s 60-seat, open-air beer garden, new housing properties, an updated movie theatre, and a Legoland Discovery Center.

Other retailers and outlets such as an Adidas store, Brooks Brothers, Charlotte Russe, Chico’s Outlet, Clark’s, Converse Factory Store, Kay Jewelers Outlet, Le Creuset, Luggage Factory, and Orvis have been opening on a rolling basis down at the site of the new development.

According to an announcement made by Somerville city officials back in May, at the start of the summer, by the end of September, a total of 32 stores and restaurants will be ready for the public as the first phase of the $1.5 billion redevelopment project comes to an end. An additional 10 new tenants are slated to open just in time for Black Friday in November.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2014/08/15/new-assembly-row-mbta-stop-opening-soon/

Old AMC going down
r8IH0fM.jpg

"The New Assembly Row MBTA Stop Is Opening Soon"

Needed very badly for this area. Nice to see another line added to this area.

Noooo!
http://boston.eater.com/archives/2014/08/19/outback-steakhouse-is-invading-assembly-row.php

Outback Steakhouse Is Invading Assembly Row

Because the world obviously needs more Bloomin' Onions, Outback Steakhouse is opening an outpost in Somerville's Assembly Row, which has been mostly welcoming a mix of regional chains (J.P. Licks, Legal on the Mystic from Legal Sea Foods, etc.) and chains from further away (Earls Kitchen + Bar from Canada and PAUL Bakery from France).

Outback, which is based in Tampa, Florida, has 15 other locations in Massachusetts (as well as many throughout the entire country). The company is seeking a full liquor license for the Assembly Row location, which will be near Papagayo, Legal on the Mystic, and the Nike store. Outback offers "Aussie-tizers" like the aforementioned mountain of fried onions, plus steaks, seafood, loaves of bread served on giant knives, and more.

Restaurants at Assembly Row have been opening in phases; Earls, Legal, and Ernesto's Pizza should be among the next to open, and the new T station right at Assembly Row is expected to open this month.
· All coverage of Assembly Row on Eater [~EBOS~]

Time flies.

Two years ago I was wishing for an Orange Line station in Assembly Square as I ran to catch the very last 92 bus of the afternoon -- at 4:10pm!

Noooo!
http://boston.eater.com/archives/2014/08/19/outback-steakhouse-is-invading-assembly-row.php

Outback Steakhouse Is Invading Assembly Row

Because the world obviously needs more Bloomin' Onions, Outback Steakhouse is opening an outpost in Somerville's Assembly Row, which has been mostly welcoming a mix of regional chains (J.P. Licks, Legal on the Mystic from Legal Sea Foods, etc.) and chains from further away (Earls Kitchen + Bar from Canada and PAUL Bakery from France).

Outback, which is based in Tampa, Florida, has 15 other locations in Massachusetts (as well as many throughout the entire country). The company is seeking a full liquor license for the Assembly Row location, which will be near Papagayo, Legal on the Mystic, and the Nike store. Outback offers "Aussie-tizers" like the aforementioned mountain of fried onions, plus steaks, seafood, loaves of bread served on giant knives, and more.

Restaurants at Assembly Row have been opening in phases; Earls, Legal, and Ernesto's Pizza should be among the next to open, and the new T station right at Assembly Row is expected to open this month.
· All coverage of Assembly Row on Eater [~EBOS~]

That is so disappointing.

Oh knock it off. All the regional chains and chains from further away are fine, but a national chain with annoying commercials? Nooooo!!!!

It's fine news, and will either do fine or get replaced by a different chain of affordable, ok food (and fantastic brown bread.)

I love Papagayo in Fort Point, but I'll eat at Outback every three or four months too.

Mix it up people. Because everyone who isn't on this board likes a mix of things. Maybe half don't like outback, but the other half who do or are indifferent, make up a pretty huge number. And, for the half that don't like it. There are 10 other restaurants for them....

Oh knock it off. All the regional chains and chains from further away are fine, but a national chain with annoying commercials? Nooooo!!!!

It's fine news, and will either do fine or get replaced by a different chain of affordable, ok food (and fantastic brown bread.)

I love Papagayo in Fort Point, but I'll eat at Outback every three or four months too.

Mix it up people. Because everyone who isn't on this board likes a mix of things. Maybe half don't like outback, but the other half who do or are indifferent, make up a pretty huge number. And, for the half that don't like it. There are 10 other restaurants for them....

It's also worth noting that there aren't any Outbacks in the Boston Metro area (within the 95 belt*).

*Burlington's is actually inside 95, but just off the highway.

I like Outback. I'll take a predictable, mundane steak with a good beer list over Papagayo. I really can't stand Papagayo.

1 national chain restaurant out of all the other things they've got going in there is actually a pretty amazing ratio for an entirely new construction neighborhood.

I like Outback. I'll take a predictable, mundane steak with a good beer list over Papagayo. I really can't stand Papagayo.

After a pretty awful ribeye, I've pretty much steered clear of their steaks. But the burgers and chicken sandwich are usually just fine.

The tassie's strips (formerly kukuburra wings, or better known as boneless buffalo wings) are always quite tasty.

Beer list is usually fine, and the good news is, the drafts are usually a buck or two less than the local chains or perceived higher class eateries and/or bars.

Its not about not "liking" the place, per se. And it isn't really a question of if the food tastes good or is good for you or any of that. They are an Australian "themed" restaurant without any Australian food nor even Australian people in their hokey commercials. They don't even try and it is embarrassing. Outback is one of the most egregious examples (though there are plenty of others) of strip-mall suburb sanitized homogenized cultural bankruptcy. I grew up thinking the food at Taco Bell and Chili's was Mexican food and I grew up in Florida surrounded by Mexicans.

Back