Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Walked around Assembly Row, found where they were dumping the snow. Quite the pile still. Hydrant for reference. Note the soccer goal in the midst.

tUbDuLh.jpg

wyrO7aZ.jpg

ahp5kRB.jpg

CjpgAEM.jpg

Found the other goal!

nUfYeN0.jpg

Free TV space-saver! First one to find it gets to keep it!

PlglQLj.jpg

my friend and i climbed over the undulating mountains and ridges of snow there about 3 weeks ago - it had melted and then refrozen, and was all incredibly jagged if you fell and hit your hand on the dirty, icy surface... made our way to the back and into the mbta yard, some good junked vehicles and the like.... too bad they wasted the park with all that snow though

my friend and i climbed over the undulating mountains and ridges of snow there about 3 weeks ago - it had melted and then refrozen, and was all incredibly jagged if you fell and hit your hand on the dirty, icy surface... made our way to the back and into the mbta yard, some good junked vehicles and the like.... too bad they wasted the park with all that snow though

FK -- if its still there in November -- then we've got the beginning of the Somerville Glacier :cool:

Is this on the Mystic-side of the T-tracks? The area that 2024 Olympics opponents claim is "parkland" that would be "spoiled" by an Olympic venue?

Is this on the Mystic-side of the T-tracks? The area that 2024 Olympics opponents claim is "parkland" that would be "spoiled" by an Olympic venue?

It was a nice park and soccer field until the city decided to use it as a snow farm. Having 2 plows and countless trucks working 24/7 over the field pretty much destroyed it. Will be interesting to know if they plan on putting down sod once the snow melts a little more.

Wonder which of the Incipient Glacial "Snow Piles" in the immediate Boston Area will be the last one to turn into an Incipient Glacial Moraine

Some candidates:

• Kendall Glacier -- just north and west of Binney
  • Somerville Glacier -- Assembly next to the Mystic
  • Boston Seaport / Innovation District Glacier -- 6 Tide St
  • Franklin Park Glaciers
  • ??
  • boston-buried-in-snow-2015.jpg

anybody got another one?

It was a nice park and soccer field until the city decided to use it as a snow farm. Having 2 plows and countless trucks working 24/7 over the field pretty much destroyed it. Will be interesting to know if they plan on putting down sod once the snow melts a little more.

I really hope so. I've been looking for a nice soccer field near a T stop on the Orange Line.

Wonder which of the Incipient Glacial "Snow Piles" in the immediate Boston Area will be the last one to turn into an Incipient Glacial Moraine

Some candidates:

• Franklin Park Glaciers
  • ??

anybody got another one?

I haven't seen the other "glaciers", but was in Franklin Park yesterday and the snow in the parking lot on circuit drive was only about a foot and a half of filthy, trash covered mush. I think it will be gone pretty soon.

I really hope so. I've been looking for a nice soccer field near a T stop on the Orange Line.

The soccer field was kind of neglected to begin with, the grass was patchy and it was full of rocks. Too bad, because the Foss Park dirt patch could use some relief.

I was pretty disappointed to see they destroyed it even more with the snow farm. I like taking my kid there to fly his kite, looks like we won't be doing that until August.

I'm all in support of the Olympics, but I don't like the idea of taking the rare Somerville park for a velodrome. It would be neat if they put it on another Assembly parcel and then turned it into a community rec center or indoor track after.

Some candidates:

• Franklin Park Glaciers
  • ??

anybody got another one?

This couldn't ever happen, could it? Reminds me of the film; The Day After Tomorrow! :eek:

This couldn't ever happen, could it? Reminds me of the film; The Day After Tomorrow! :eek:

No. The greatest snow depth ever recorded in Massachusetts was in Great Barrington in 1996 - 62 inches - shortly after the Blizzard of 1996 (and other storms). The Pru is 8988 inches tall. Over 144 times the height of the deepest snow depth in MA history.

On the other hand, the Partners building will be a big boon to Somerville, especially the East Somerville/Winter Hill area!

No. The greatest snow depth ever recorded in Massachusetts was in Great Barrington in 1996 - 62 inches - shortly after the Blizzard of 1996 (and other storms). The Pru is 8988 inches tall. Over 144 times the height of the deepest snow depth in MA history.

On the other hand, the Partners building will be a big boon to Somerville, especially the East Somerville/Winter Hill area!

Jav -- Bigeman -- It did happen

circa 20,000 BCE there was ice piled up at that site to the height of [the Pru + Hancock and throw in the Burj Khalifa for effect ] and you might still be under the ice

The good news is that it we live in a relatively warm era

The bad news -- eventually the ice will return

:cool:

Wow. High end, luxury, and boutique. Sounds like Somerville is getting more affordable right before our very eyes.

Now that's sarcasm. No need to explain the economics and drivers. Just get sick of the status quo sometimes.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...quarter-2015-operating-results-300079966.html
May 7, 2015—Federal Realty today announced it is proceeding with Phase II of Assembly Row, which will include 167,000 square feet of new retail space, 447 high-end apartments, 117 luxury condominium residences and a 155 room boutique hotel to be owned in a joint venture partnership. Phase II also includes the 700,000 square foot office building being constructed by Partners HealthCare.
Can someone check me? But this is slightly "fuller" / bigger news than I thought. This is near-confirmation of AmericanKryptonite's report a year ago that Block 6 (the 447 apartments) will be done at the same time as Block 5A (the hotel). Except that block 5B (offices) is not bundled in this deal (that I can see). I'm reading the Yellow building on 5A South as the 117 Luxury Condos, with the hotel on 5A North.

In all "Phase II" = Block 6 + Block 5A + Partners 1 (North)

For reference, here is the Block map:
HYVwwYC.png

Back