Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

They switched this back & forth.

First they said injuries, then they said that a worker has died, and then they switched it back to injuries. :eek:

They switched this back & forth.

First they said injuries, then they said that a worker has died, and then they switched it back to injuries. :eek:

There was definitely a fatal accident.

Wicked Local: Worker killed after elevator fall at Assembly Square site
Globe: Hoist accident kills construction worker in Somerville

I've always thought that construction workers don't get enough respect for doing the dangerous jobs that they do. If it were a firefighter or police officer who died it would be front page news and the city would shut down for a parade and funeral, but since it's a construction worker few people will know or care. The workers who build our homes, offices, and infrastructure have some of the most dangerous jobs in the nation but we never think of them as "heroes"; instead we save that designation for others in much safer and higher-paid professions.

Professions should never be pitted against each other. This alarming trend is becoming increasingly common on social media now. I'm not quoting your post because I suggest that you edit or remove your last statement where you use comparative words such as "safer" and "higher."

What happened is a tragedy. A life was lost. You make a great point about construction workers going unthanked/unrecognized for the risks they take.

Professions should never be pitted against each other. I'm not quoting your post because I suggest that you edit or remove your last statement where you use comparative words such as "safer" and "higher."

What happened is a tragedy. A life was lost.

Yes, a tragedy. Absolutely.

All I'm trying to say is accidents like these, unfortunately, happen more often than most people are aware, and the workers who risk their lives deserve more appreciation than we give them as a society. We claim to honor and respect those who take on dangerous jobs for the betterment of society but we by-and-large neglect to bestow this recognition on construction workers.

I've always thought that construction workers don't get enough respect for doing the dangerous jobs that they do. If it were a firefighter or police officer who died it would be front page news and the city would shut down for a parade and funeral, but since it's a construction worker few people will know or care. The workers who build our homes, offices, and infrastructure have some of the most dangerous jobs in the nation but we never think of them as "heroes"; instead we save that designation for others in much safer and higher-paid professions.

Yeah, NOW they are saying that there has been a death in the accident.

Agreed, and it applies to more professions than just construction workers. Police and firefighters get way too much credit for doing a job that is far less dangerous than some other professions, RIP to the construction worker

Yeah, NOW they are saying that there has been a death in the accident.

You can be injured and then die from that injury later on. That's just how news stories like this develop. Nothing nefarious. That's not actually how this happened though.

The media will not post about a death until the next of kin/family is notified to avoid them finding out via the media. The news reports now indicate he was dead when responders arrived on the scene.

You can be injured and then die from that injury later on. That's just how news stories like this develop. Nothing nefarious. That's not actually how this happened though.

The media will not post about a death until the next of kin/family is notified to avoid them finding out via the media. The news reports now indicate he was dead when responders arrived on the scene.

I wish this actually still held true. Unfortunately, today's media is all about being the first the break a story regardless of whether or not the sources are correct. We saw this with the marathon bombing of people being accused and having their names published just for looking middle-eastern and wearing a hat. Sadly, I'm sure there are stories where a death was reported before the family was notified, the only difference may be that they won't post any identification.

We claim to honor and respect those who take on dangerous jobs for the betterment of society but we by-and-large neglect to bestow this recognition on construction workers.

Honestly, I think this is because construction is seen as mundane and taken for granted as opposed to police or firefighting work, where the danger is more "sexy". Think about it, how many pulsating dramas do we have on TV about builders? It's backwards when you think in terms of actual contribution and risk but it's the way it is. Sad story about Assembly though, I won't look at that development in the same way again. They should put a permanent memorial on the site somewhere.

The Partners garage has started to go vertical. Prefab concrete construction.

Oh my, that's look like something right off the Dirty Ol' Boston Facebook page.

Oh my, that's look like something right off the Dirty Ol' Boston Facebook page.

Needs a dirty trijet spewing jet fuel all over the place. (Honestly I love those old 70s photos of jets a few feet over wood island.)

Back