Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

Community seeking denser development at former Ikea parcel in Somerville, by Thomas Grillo, BBJ, 11/2/13

Link.

+1

God Bless the common sense issued by Wig Zamore and the citizens.

What is so hard to comprehend??? A one-story supermarket next to the T station???? My 9 year old can comprehend "Smart Growth" development and the need to have maximum density around T stations.

But then you have (from the article):

"But Donald Briggs, Federal’s regional manager, said while there’s a possibility of building offices and apartments on the site in the future, the current real market would not support construction of high rise residential or office building atop a grocery store. He said residents and city officials are understanding and embracing Federal’s concept.

Mayor Joseph Curtatone said he sides with Federal and supports the zoning change. “Sure, I’d love to have a multi-story building and so would Federal,” he said. “But I understand the market constraints.”

If the market is so constrained in that area, then shouldn't the MBTA look at other places for T stations? How would Mr. Briggs and Mr. Curtatone protest that? This is a man bites dog situation where the citizens are arguing for smarter growth and density than the developer.

I'm glad to see people taking a stand against these irresponsible development trends. It only makes sense that Somerville, the densest city in the entire country, speaks up and fights against something that will suppress the density of new development in their great city.

I'm glad to see people taking a stand against these irresponsible development trends. It only makes sense that Somerville, the densest city in the entire country, speaks up and fights against something that will suppress the density of new development in their great city.

Exactly, good point. The ONE AREA that density TRULY makes sense in Somerville is at the new T stop. But the Mayor (of whom I've heard good things in the past) and this cock-eyed "developer" think THAT is the place to go slow on density.

Brilliant thinking Mayor Curtatone - - pack 'em in on the one way streets and small lanes, but "go slow" on the area next to the T stop.

A comedy writer couldn't make this stuff up.

I think the concern is that they are already slated to build thousands of residences and want to build the supermarket but don't want to saturate their own development.

That seems reasonable enough, however, there should be formal design plans in place to add residential towers above and around the supermarket down the road. A supermarket is one of those things that once they build it, there is no way in hell in 4 years they shut it down to then build a tower above it. Build it with all the frames, core, and entrances in place so you can just throw up steel above it when the market comes.

I think the concern is that they are already slated to build thousands of residences and want to build the supermarket but don't want to saturate their own development.

That seems reasonable enough, however, there should be formal design plans in place to add residential towers above and around the supermarket down the road. A supermarket is one of those things that once they build it, there is no way in hell in 4 years they shut it down to then build a tower above it. Build it with all the frames, core, and entrances in place so you can just throw up steel above it when the market comes.

I’d agree that there is no reason why they could not build a Supermarket with residences above. They wouldn’t even have to rely on a huge parking lot, if they were creative, like an Ikea (ironically) does.

What I do not have a good grasp on is the parking. I see a lot of surface lots which I think is unfortunate and will really take away from the fabric of the development. If anyone has been to Santana Row in San Jose, I think that is a great example of hiding parking behind the buildings. Although surrounded by the hood, with no public transit other than buses, in car-centric Cali, there is a lot of unique small retail, movie theaters and tons of restaurants and clubs with narrow streets, giving it a very urban, vibrant and upscale feel despite being surrounded by the typical California endless stream of strip malls.

I like the analogy to the National Harbor in DC but I think this could be much better. National Harbor is greatly enhanced by the large Gaylord Hotel which hosts many corporate functions, so it really keeps the foot traffic up. But, other than the water taxis, there is no public transit, and it is surrounded by nothing but the interstate, water and some slummy Maryland suburbs. It’s really a standalone place. I think originally it was dreamed up as a Disney Destination of some sort, but I don’t think that ever happened there, and I also do not think there are any offices in the complex. Here with the access to 93 as well as the T, there is a prime opportunity to establish a real destination place.

For the one-millionth time, the surface lots and big-box stores are NOT part of the redevelopment project. Assembly Row and Grand Union Blvd are designed to function within themselves because the current state of Assembly Square as a big-box paradise is pathetic and the developers know it.

If anyone has been to Santana Row in San Jose, I think that is a great example of hiding parking behind the buildings. Although surrounded by the hood, with no public transit other than buses, in car-centric Cali, there is a lot of unique small retail, movie theaters and tons of restaurants and clubs with narrow streets, giving it a very urban, vibrant and upscale feel despite being surrounded by the typical California endless stream of strip malls.

Whaaaaa?

That's all well and good, however then, why do they choose to build the high rise residential, etc. AWAY from the T station instead on the parcels right around it??? The residential high rises ARE being built but they are choosing to do them AWAY from the T station. Planning for a one story development next to the T station is simply bass-akwards.

Does Marty Walz object to shadows on T stations?

Whaaaaa?

Maybe too strong of a word, but I was warned by more than a few people to stay on Stevens Creek Drive while driving there and go straight there. Big meth problem in the area and they have had their share of drive-byes (sp?) and armed robberies within Santata Row as well. While generally safe, there are pockets of bad neighborhoods up and down that stretch. I guess what I was trying to say is that it wasn't exactly Newton- Wellesley. Maybe it was just how I went there, through Cupertino.

Hmm, I don't know who you're speaking to. Cupertino is basically the Asian Wellesley, and nothing on the west side of San Jose can be remotely considered the hood. Even though the city as a whole is no longer "the safest large city in America," all of the problems are on the East Side. And even then it's no East Palo Alto. Or East Oakland.

To the extent Santana Row itself would attract crime, I would think it's for the same reason that any other concentration of entertainment/bars/clubs would as well.

As long as these new units at Assembly Row are priced at/under $1,700 per bed, I am confident the market will absorb them in a heartbeat. I've been studying and saying this for years--a lot of people have--that Boston & its immediate neighbors NEEDS new high density housing inventory on the order of 5,000 to 10,000 new units a year for at least the next decade to satisfy demand. Our whole economy depends on our ability to house the talented workforce out there, and they're turning to greener pastures because the access to affordable housing in this city is non-existent.

As long as these new units at Assembly Row are priced at/under $1,700 per bed, I am confident the market will absorb them in a heartbeat. I've been studying and saying this for years--a lot of people have--that Boston & its immediate neighbors NEEDS new high density housing inventory on the order of 5,000 to 10,000 new units a year for at least the next decade to satisfy demand. Our whole economy depends on our ability to house the talented workforce out there, and they're turning to greener pastures because the access to affordable housing in this city is non-existent.

Please inform the Mayor of Somerville and Federal Realty's regional manager.

According to them, plots next to brand spanking new T stations can only support one story grocery stores. Even the NIMBY's are telling them that that is crazy!

Santana Row is one of the first places I thought about when I learned about Assembly Square. I sure hope it doesn't end up like Santana Row, which is essentially an outdoor upscale mall with a giant road running down the middle of it. We can do better.

Hmm, I don't know who you're speaking to. Cupertino is basically the Asian Wellesley, and nothing on the west side of San Jose can be remotely considered the hood. Even though the city as a whole is no longer "the safest large city in America," all of the problems are on the East Side. And even then it's no East Palo Alto. Or East Oakland.

To the extent Santana Row itself would attract crime, I would think it's for the same reason that any other concentration of entertainment/bars/clubs would as well.

I agree. My bad. In looking at the map I think what they meant was once you go past Sananta Row towards San Jose, stay out of the neighborhoods south of the 280. Maybe they were all overly cautious, being from Los Gatos and all :). Needless to say, heeded their warnings, so that's what I get for listening.

Mathew, I didn't think the main blvd although 4 lanes was overwhelming at all as traffic moved very slowly and quicky seemed to get funnelled into the back lot parking garages. But, I think its more than just a suburban mall, the night life was really good. Admittedly, it's been a few years, so maybe my memory is off.

050_zps279803db.jpg
051_zps31f46bb0.jpg
056_zpsf81d07cd.jpg
063_zps3eea6a5b.jpg
064_zps996ddf5e.jpg
065_zps75042f0c.jpg
068_zps2eb81400.jpg
070_zps8b35245f.jpg
T stop
071_zps665b0484.jpg
069_zps6bd98760.jpg
073_zpsec4266bd.jpg
075_zpse4ab9ee7.jpg

I guess for a greater good argument, I would like to see Target go here so they can shut down the one of Somerville ave near McGrath. Hopefully that site could then get build on with Housing all the way back and build up to the street with ground floor retail.

Places like somerville should try to get rid of as many 1 story buildings as possible.

They need a zoning variance for the supermarket -- maybe the zoning board can stipulate a minimum FAR for that site in return.

I highly recommend dropping $2 for a commuter rail ride from Boston to Malden or vice versa to take in the view of all the construction. It's getting pretty impressive how much activity has exploded around here. You could just take the Orange Line, but then the view of the Assembly Square Station construction is harder to take in.

:)

Back