Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

This is probably a re-post. Still, it looks great!

Dot Block needs more of this treatment.

I really hope they are going to clad the stilts over the garage. It reads like the old toll plazas on the Tobin bridge right now.

Wow, the new low rise stuff looks really nice. Good to see some new buildings around here that aren't trying too hard with all kinds of weird materials.

I really hope they are going to clad the stilts over the garage. It reads like the old toll plazas on the Tobin bridge right now.

I would assume that would be covered.

Wow, the new low rise stuff looks really nice. Good to see some new buildings around here that aren't trying too hard with all kinds of weird mater.

It's wholesome. Such an epic improvement to the area. We should use AR as the template for a Save Our Blocks effort at the way-too-generic/we-can-do-better Dot Block, as part of an 'if it ain't good, it's garbage' campaign.

Steel started going up Tuesday for one of the two small buildings in front of the Partners building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked around the area for the first time the other day. Was impressed on any number of different levels. The only problem I have with this place is that you need to have a child with you to enter Legoland. The child I am bringing with me is ME! I WANT TO PLAY WITH LEGOS!

Walked around the area for the first time the other day. Was impressed on any number of different levels. The only problem I have with this place is that you need to have a child with you to enter Legoland. The child I am bringing with me is ME! I WANT TO PLAY WITH LEGOS!

They have adult nights

any idea who the tenant will be?

Lots of tea leaves to read in this largely unseen article:
http://charlestownbridge.com/2016/1...-eyebreaking-down-the-plans-for-assembly-row/

For the Partners building,
McMahon said the 830,000 sq. ft. Partners building will also include two floors of retail totaling 100,000 sq. ft. Already, the world –famous Mike’s Pastry of the North End has announced it will have a location in the Partners building and another entertainment company in Boston will also debut a new concept in the building soon. There is also a new fitness concept that will be rolled out in the near future, McMahon said.
I remember hearing that Lucky Strike bowling was the entertainment company he references.

For the woonerf buildings
On the actual mall walkway, McMahon said they will have an open-air coffee shop and bakery in two glass-enclosed retail spaces.
This could be anything though I love the contradiction of an open-air coffee shop IN a glass-enclosed building. If they follow suit with the other small developments in the area (JP Licks, Slumbrew, Riverbar), it would be a Somerville or other local business --maybe the Diesel/Forge team or Iggy's.

For Blocks 6 under construction
On the ground floor of that building will be another 40,000 sq. ft. of retail, with a brewery coming and an Italian restaurant concept as well. The building sports 174 units in a courtyard layout and 273 units in the tower. A Sky Deck on the 20th floor will boast enduring views of the area.
Brewery is most likely a relocated Slumbrew. Any guesses on the Italian? If it follows that it would be another North End export, best guess is another Strega...

Last edited:
I believe they started in Foxboro right by Gillette. Didn't know how much they had expanded already.

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

'if you live long enough....' https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ct/3iy03Rz01byItimYcnkl5H/story.html#comments

GeoLovely (in the Globe) actually had something nice to say about this 1 place.

If only if it could deny her the privilege of hating the other.

GeoLovely said:
I was over at Assembly Row in Somerville last weekend, another mixed use development in a former industrial waterfront built over the last decade, and it made me sick to see how pedestrian friendly and vibrant the street is there and then think about what the Seaport might have been.

Walking down Artisan's way feels like a (somewhat) big city.

Assembly has lots of life, but is touched by a common problem: It's too sterile and chain based.

How long do you think it will be before we start seeing 400' + buildings in Assembly?

Back