Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

I'll hold off final judgment until it is done but I have never been a fan of this building no matter the renderings. It reminds me of a poor man's Hearst Tower, of which I am also not a fan.

Regarding the the buildings I think are better, since it is the end of the decade it only seems fitting to create another 'Best of' list. I can name them now but I want to defend my choices so I'll create another thread for that.

111 Huntington was supposed to be much taller, taller than the Pru. Crown would have looked better if it wasn't so stubby looking.

The crown saved the 111. Else it will also be another stubby flat top building.

kennedy said:
111 Huntington was supposed to be much taller, taller than the Pru.

Source?

I've done a good amount of research into the history of the Pru and never has 111 been proposed or approved for anything over ~600 feet. Even when a tower at that site was first proposed in the mid '80s it didn't come close to challenging the Pru in height.

As for its crown, it's far from perfect, but I can't imagine 111 would look better with no crown at all.

From what I understand, it wasn't actually submitted as being taller. The architect (CBT, one of the principals) envisioned it as a much taller building, but due to certain restraints that was impossible.

My source is rather sketchy, a very good friend's mother works in 111, and she was on a plane with the architect. She didn't mention if it was Childs, Bertram (Bertman?), or Tseckares. I do believe it though, it's quite stubby looking. And somehow, I don't imagine a 40-something accountant has much reason to lie to a high school student about architecture...

Fair enough. Though I'd say the "stubby look" isn't so much a result of it getting cut down in height as it is just supplying the market with the fat floorplates they demand nowadays.

097-4.jpg
today from Tobin bridge

The crown saved the 111. Else it will also be another stubby flat top building.

Mayor Menino "suggested" to the developers that 111 Huntington have a top to it. Thus the "crown" was born. It alone added 1 million dollars to the cost of development. If the building were to be taller then I don't think it would have needed anything on the top of it, however since it is rather short I agree that it needed something and what we see today referred to as the crown is what we are stuck with. I think there could have been more elegant proposals put forth, but I think the developers felt a bit rushed to find a design for the top and bought into what we have today.

Mayor Menino "suggested" to the developers that 111 Huntington have a top to it. Thus the "crown" was born. It alone added 1 million dollars to the cost of development. If the building were to be taller then I don't think it would have needed anything on the top of it, however since it is rather short I agree that it needed something and what we see today referred to as the crown is what we are stuck with. I think there could have been more elegant proposals put forth, but I think the developers felt a bit rushed to find a design for the top and bought into what we have today.

Maybe so but it still won the Emporis Award -Third Place so people around the world do like the design. More so than any other buildings built in Boston since 2000.

Sure, it may be a bit squat, but its way more attractive than nearly every building in Boston. Nothing in the financial district really holds a candle to it.

Totally off the target of Russia Wharf, but with all this talk about crowns, wanted to see what people thought of the Great American Tower in Cincinnati. Like it or not, that's one hell of a crown.

WHY DOES 111 HUNTINGTON HAVE A CROWN, YOU ASK??

tommy1.jpg

"Dome so pretty, me likey."

Nice reality-based edit on the image, John.

Emperor Menino looks like he's trying to sell a Hyundai that's been in a roll-over accident.

Totally off the target of Russia Wharf, but with all this talk about crowns, wanted to see what people thought of the Great American Tower in Cincinnati. Like it or not, that's one hell of a crown.

Hideous. 111 Huntington is intriguing. That is just a waste of resources. Unless you can go up in it. From the rendering, it just looks like a useless glass dome.

I like the tower,don't luv it ,hate the surrounding area,we're so lucky to have a dense city in most areas of boston

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Does this mean the Russian consulate will not return to this building? Why the renaming?

Nice reality-based edit on the image, John.

Emperor Menino looks like he's trying to sell a Hyundai that's been in a roll-over accident.

Perhaps a measuring contest with Chiafaro?

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Nothing wrong with "Atlantic Wharf" as a name, but ... if it's been Russia Wharf since 1784, changing the name now strikes me as rather insulting to the city's history.

Back