Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

You are speaking right about the HISTORY. Whish is what should be selling not sell out of BOSTON. Uncle say this sound like condo in HULL!!! ut i am not knowing it.

For once, my friend, you are very right. This is surely a piece of history we could hold on to, and "Atlantic Wharf" does sound like a condo in Hull.

Must agree with everybody.

The name russia wharf sounds much more unique and quirky than atlantic wharf, which sounds like some kind of hooker establishment on the jersey shore [okay, maybe not hookers...fish restraunt?] Seriously though, atlantic wharf is so boring and generic, where as Russia wharf is much more memorable and unique.

I ask old Uncle. He knowing notty places and HOT babeys.

tell him to send me the addresses! ^ :D;)

I am sure that Boston Properties did not want to launch a new product with an old brand.

Still, I prefer the Russia Wharf name too. Atlantic Wharf is SO generic. Nostalgia aside, I guess an "Atlantic Wharf" address on law firm letterhead is bigger, bolder and more valuable than a "Russia Wharf" address. While the Russia Wharf name is cool, funky and kind of odd... those aren't necessarily attributes Boston Properties wants in the new brand (and building) they are building over there.

I am sure that Boston Properties did not want to launch a new product with an old brand.

Perhaps, but 'Rowes Wharf' and 'Battery Wharf' are both very old names that were used for new developments on their sites. For that matter, so is 'Fan Pier'.

^also the hancock tower already had an older building of the same name.

Russia hasn't been our best friends in the past... and more recently they did invade Georgia which U.S. and many others were pissed about. In the future they could become a problem again. I'd put some serious dough on them not wanting a negative connotation with Russia Wharf, despite what the past is here.

India Wharf>Harbor Towers
Russia Wharf>Atlantic Wharf

It does seem that there is a building/suckification quotient at work.

India Wharf>Harbor Towers
Russia Wharf>Atlantic Wharf

It does seem that there is a building/suckification quotient at work.

Agreed, but there is a pretty large distinction there, I think. I'd have less of an issue if they named the building Atlantic Tower, as that's not actually an attempt to rename the Wharf itself.

I actually asked somebody directly involved with this project he said that they're introducing brand new product to the market, so why on earth would they give it an old name?

Russia Wharf was C-class office space. Keeping that name would leave a connotation that the building was rehabbed - not all new construction - this is complicated because the old facades are left up. You can't just introduce Class-A tower space with the same name.

And this isn't their opinion, or done on a whim, BP had some kind of market research report commissioned before making this change.

I brought up Fan Pier and Battery Wharf. His reply was something like "Those are two of the biggest failures in Boston commercial real estate - Boston Properties has their act together, those developers don't."

Ouch. Point taken!

Rowe's Wharf was replacing parking lots, not existing property, right?

How is Battery Wharf a failure? Did he say?

He did not elaborate - but from what we all know the hotel operator pulled out, the partners dissolved into a very messy and acrimonious divorce and they can't sell any condos.

So... um... fail.

From an architectural stand-point, Battery Wharf is the best thing to hit Boston in a long, long time. The marketing strategy was bungled. (This is the ultra-lux development that took out Globe ads showing a stainless steel dishwasher... not the ocean views, not the beautiful architecture... just a close-up of the granite and stainless kitchen - something rehabbed triple decker condos in Dorchester have)

Back to the thread topic, I hope that a restaurant opens within Atlantic Wharf that can revive the Russia Wharf name.

neither russia wharf nor fan pier suffer from an old association...I think that's focus group bunk. Rowe's wharf was a decrepit dump before the new iteration. Does anyone allow that to taint their view of the new project?

BTW, I went to Sensing restaurant at Battery Wharf. The low ceilings that I have heard complained about are immediately apparent as an unappealing item. How DO you sell units for 1 million bucks with such low ceilings?

The low ceilings that I have heard complained about are immediately apparent as an unappealing item. How DO you sell units for 1 million bucks with such low ceilings?

Energy efficient! Green!

8/16:

dscn2015i.jpg

I hope that name don't stick! Whats with all the name change's we've lost enough already! Today from 99 high and surface rd
240-3.jpg
241-3.jpg
254-5.jpg
255-4.jpg
256-6.jpg
260-3.jpg
^ lonely at the top

Last edited:

I was never a fan of the Intercontinental, but this makes me like it even less. It is really the red-headed stepchild of the stretch between South Station and Rowes wharf.

I didn't realize it, but the brick section at the back is going to be all garage! The floor structures seen through the empty window frames are all inclined.

Back