Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

That is not the operator. It is someone trespassing on the jobsite.

Well it has got to be good publicity (minus the fact that someone has easy access to the site)...I know I would "work" late in the office if I had those views.

From yesterday

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

The slant is really nice, I don't think many buildings have something like that here. The best project of 2009?

I love how this building starts with a wide old warehouse base and the tower is more narrow. I think this fact combined with the slant give it much more of a 'soar' effect despite its rather unimpressive height. The squat IC adds to the effect (or affect) too.

It's a nice surprise, but couldn't it have been even 1-2 degrees more dramatic? In one respect, it's very Boston though. Local architects have always taken what's trendy at the time, and then apply with severe Yankee restraint (almost to the point you almost don't notice it). A few Back Bay brownstones and art-deco details on the old Ritz immediately come to mind.

Can't wait to see what happens on the right corner on the Greenway!

bos77 said:
(almost to the point you almost don't notice it)

The slant was discussed a page or two back, but I had never actually seen/noticed it until dzh's picture two from the bottom. Talk about subtle...

How were you able to take all those photos yet miss the Menino for Emperor banner??

Thanks DZH22 for your efforts with these great pics! This may well be the best project built in Boston in the last 10 years. Your photos capture it beautifully.

no props for 111 Huntington?

I can think of at least a dozen that are better, maybe even a bakers dozen

It's too early to call this one a winner by any standard. Let's not even think about the ones that were better, yet never got off the drawing board.

Those certainly....I dunno if I can think of 10-13 that are realisitically nicer than Russia Wharf...

Maybe the ICA? Archstone? IC? Battery Wharf?

If we are also counting serious proposals not yet approved/financed...we might then be able to reach a dozen.

I can think of at least a dozen that are better, maybe even a bakers dozen.

You are surely entitled to your opinion as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the only other building IMO, of the past decade being aesthetically pleasing would be 45 Province, black wall and all.

You are surely entitled to your opinion as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the only other building IMO, of the past decade being aesthetically pleasing would be 45 Province, black wall and all.

111???

Yay, someone else who thinks that the crown destroys 111 Huntington!

Back