Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Who knows the details on this project? The building in front is not the building on which the new high-rise is built, right? It's behind that, based on what I've seen. The building in front (with the Menino banner) is also being renovated but is it the same developer?

The enitre development is Boston Properties. There are three existing wharf buildings. The tower is built on part of the first, all of the second and part of the third. (first being the building closest to the greenway). The glass will run all the way down to street level between the wharf buildings (i.e., on Congress St, not the Surface Artery).

I'm assuming the residential portion is in the third wharf building (facing FPC) and the office is everywhere else. Can anyone confirm?

I don't know much about different kinds of glass but this glass seems just a bit too dark and transparent. I honestly have no interest in seeing the inside of a building. They should take this fan pier crap glass and replace it with something like whats on the hancock or 111 huntington.

Other than that, its an awesome building. I like the white "frames?". Makes it look like a poor mans hearst tower.

I'm saying it doesn't have the balls to be a pure glass box and tries to dampen the effect by adding all these useless elements that do nothing for it.

Agreed. I especially find the four-story grid going up the long sides to be dehumanizing and pointless. And why is the beacon tower thingy on the street side -- shouldn't it be overlooking the water? And why is the water side slightly angled? It's all so superfluous.

Patriots_1228 mentioned it being a "poor man's Hearst," to which I agree fully. But while he likes it, it makes me hate it more for even bothering when it clearly is nothing more than a skin-deep gesture.

Makes me wish we were back in the '50s when modernism was tyranically devoid of these silly tack-ons.

93 south
003-7.jpg
00333.jpg

I don't know much about different kinds of glass but this glass seems just a bit too dark and transparent. I honestly have no interest in seeing the inside of a building. They should take this fan pier crap glass and replace it with something like whats on the hancock or 111 huntington.

Nooooo. I'm so done with mirrored glass. With few exceptions (Hancock) it robs a building of life. It's not 1985 anymore, we can do better.

And just look next door to the Intercontinental to see how it can fail miserably.

The IC looks great! Jeez, everyone is so cynical. I think the mirrored glass looks unreal on it; not that Atlantic Wharf should have it as well. I think the green is okay, it will look better in fall/winter. It's closer in color to the water than the sky, so I think that might help it from not 'soaring' too much.

I think the IC is the most photogenic building in the city from the water. IMO, definitely not a fail but a success.

The IC is fine, but not great. I personally like colorless clear transparent glass. I guess I enjoy the added visual interest of seeing the inside of an large office building even if you see the clutter of everyday life. Mirrored glass seems more hit or miss - often resulting in a building looking overly sterile, corporate and monolithic.

I think the IC is fine as well. Get's panned architecturally all the time, but I think the average (read: architecturally ignorant) person actually enjoys it. Plus, it surrounds a vent building so it had to be a bit squat.

yesterday Atlantic ave
004-7.jpg
003-8.jpg

speaking of a bit squat, AW is mos def. I bet ppl will be bitching once its done. Should be 20 stories taller....and not just for heights sake

speaking of a bit squat, AW is mos def. I bet ppl will be bitching once its done. Should be 20 stories taller....and not just for heights sake
Outside these forums, no one ever bitches about insufficient height --even if in their heart they feel it. Cognitive dissonace: you have to maintain the integrity of the original theory ("tall buildings are bad") in the face of incoming observations to the contrary.

South Station looks so sad and truncated in those photos. Adrift in a sea of late 20th century banality, too.

Perhaps, but it doesn't feel overcrowded to me inside, it feels 'just right'.

This photo makes me totally agree with Van that pussying out on a full glass box was the wrong move.

I miss the proposed X structure

that is really nice

I love how they segmented the sides into large glass squares...it contrasts really well with the continuous front glass portion

I think we should write a letter to CBT:

"You guys need to grow a pair and just go for the glass box next time!"

I think they might be pleased that we're not writing to tell them how awfully modern and alienating the building is, and how it needs more whirly-gigs and mullions and such.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2009/10/05/russia_wharf_tower_plan_holds_water/
Harvesting gold from rain

The Russia Wharf tower is taking green construction to new heights: Rain that lands on the roof will cool the building, irrigate the plants, and slash the water bill, while earning the complex a ?gold? rating and keeping pollution out of the harbor
October 5, 2009

The most remarkable feature of the office tower rising at Russia Wharf might never be seen by its occupants or visitors. It lies within the building?s bowels, a network of pipes and valves designed to conserve more than 12.5 millions of gallons of water a year - enough to fill 19 Olympic-size swimming pools.

The system is based on a technique that the developer, Boston Properties, calls ?harvesting rain.??

Company executives said the 31-story building at Atlantic Avenue and Congress Street, scheduled to be completed in 2011, will collect nearly every drop of rain that lands on its roof. But the water won?t be flushed into storm drains - it will be used for air conditioning and irrigating landscaping.

?Capturing this level of storm water prevents it from flowing into our waterways as runoff,?? said Jim Hunt, Boston?s chief of energy and environment. ?That?s critically important to preventing pollution after we invested billions of dollars to restore Boston Harbor.??

In Boston and other cities throughout the country, runoff from high-rises is a significant contributor to nonpoint source pollution, contamination that occurs when water picks up impurities in the environment and carries them into rivers, lakes, and harbors.

The city, Hunt said, requires developers in some areas to capture a percentage of their storm water runoff, but the Boston Properties building far exceeds those benchmarks. It will be the first in the city to achieve a ?gold?? rating from the US Green Building Council, a nonprofit that promotes sustainable building practices. Gold is its second-highest rating.

The complex will include a 750,000-square-foot office tower, 70 residential units, several restaurants, and a waterfront plaza. The tower will feature floor-to-ceiling windows to let in more daylight and reduce electricity use. And the developers said they have recycled 2.7 million pounds, or 86 percent, of their construction waste - equal to the weight of 920 Toyota Priuses.

Most of the building, about 450,000 square feet, will be leased by the financial services firm Wellington Management, which is scheduled to move in by February 2011. Boston Properties is trying to lease another 10 floors.

The project, which borders the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, has not been without difficulties. In addition to the complications of building next to Fort Point Channel and above the Silver Line bus tunnel, there was the recession, which made it tougher to secure financing.

To ease the financial pressure, Boston Properties cut more than 150 condominiums from the plan, citing the housing downturn. Executives said they most likely will market the remaining 70 units as apartments. The company is also reconfiguring the mix of restaurant and community space, an issue that has created conflict with regulators and community groups. The state Department of Environmental Protection has urged the developer to include more community space on the first floor, instead of putting much of it on the second, where it would be less accessible.

?We?re working with all the interested parties to give the public what it deserves - the most active, vibrant, accessible space possible,?? said Michael Cantalupa, senior vice president of development at Boston Properties.

On a recent morning, construction was in full swing, with laborers installing glass windows on upper floors while another group excavated the bottom floors of a 650-space underground parking garage.

As massive mechanical shovels dug out the fourth floor of the garage, the contrast between past and future was on full display. In a corner lay stacks of old-growth pine logs used for the foundations of the 19th century industrial buildings that once stood on the property, which is near the site of the Boston Tea Party.

The original wharf buildings were destroyed in the Great Boston Fire of 1872, which leveled about 65 acres of Boston. During the next two decades, builders redeveloped the property, eventually giving rise to the Tufts, Graphic Arts, and Russia buildings, which were occupied by printing and publishing companies, along with light manufacturers and commodities traders. (The area was named Russia Wharf because it primarily traded with the port of St. Petersburg, Russia, in the 1800s; Boston Properties is renaming it Atlantic Wharf.)

The facades of the Tufts and Graphic Arts buildings will be preserved, with workers restoring more than 60 miles of masonry joints that, in some places, had eroded completely.

The development will expand access to Fort Point Channel, where recent projects have helped restore a once-dingy district. Next door, the completion of the InterContinental Hotel and residences in 2006 created an expansive brick patio that will be extended onto the Russia Wharf property.

?All the finishes will be identical, so it will read like one large, continuous property,?? Cantalupa said. ?It?s going to be great space for the public.??

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

? Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company.

Back