Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Not crazy with that big white light on top of Atlantic Wharf. Its too annoying.

I agree. I figure with a crown that size, it should be broken up into different colors. LEDs would make it possible to change the colors as well. Red and Green for the holidays, red, white, blue for the Fourth, and so on. It's too large an area to just be beaming bright white.

Seeing the crown lit with your own eyes makes it look more reasonable than these pictures. Maybe on First Night they dimmed it down or something, but that was the only time I saw it for myself and it looked great and wasn't too bright.

last nite I was way down in Hyde park/Roselindale and u could see this light thru the snow!

I wonder how a similarly lit crown could be used (at another site) to prevent an abutter from building because of the impact on adjacent office units.

The colored lighting projected from the spire of Atlantic Wharf must be visible within the office units at its own corner unless they baffled it somehow.

At least the light off the top of Atlantic Wharf is fairly isolated from other buildable parcels.

As for its brightness, it seems to vary. Particles of water or mist may make it seem brighter than it is.

The globe has this little slide show on Atlantic Wharf. Mostly stuff that's been discussed to death here, but it does include some things I didn't know. A bunch of renderings and interior photos too.

This view (31st floor) is just awesome:

Backbayview.jpg

^That is a beautiful view! Too bad it will be gone in 30-50 years when the city finally allows somebody to build on that green lawn.

What's the smaller building with the dark blue lights on the far left, visually next to 1 Beacon? Is that the W or the Saltonstall?

Saltonstall

My friend works for wellington.... this is his view from his window on mond. when he moved into his office. he sent it to me b/c its a pic of my building lol....

imagejpeg_2_21.jpg

^all that lost potential around the channel! today >
019-7.jpg
015-7.jpg
014-7.jpg
0433.jpg
041-4.jpg

I'd say "unrealized" not "lost". Until the Post Office is relocated, it's hard to do much on that side of the Channel.

And I'd guess the parking lots on the east side are awaiting a better economy before they can be developed.

The grid annoys me more and more everyday. I don't know what it is about it really. If it only had those vertical elements, it would just stand taller and prouder, as it deserves to. It could have such a beautiful sense of verticality.

And I'd guess the parking lots on the east side are awaiting a better economy before they can be developed.

Better economies have come and gone, some booming, in cycles of roughly every 5 years over the past 25 years. Parking lots are still parking lots.

There is little evidence that the next economic cycle will bring anything more than a few projects to either side of the Channel.

USPS moves like honey - it will take USPS ten years to build a new facility and move. Other Fort Point lots are parked with cars well past permitted spaces -- quite lucrative. Fort Point's large property owners have managed to sit back and do nothing while securing valuable zoning variances from the BRA, increasing the land value without putting a shovel in the ground. Gillette, USPS, Archon, Hynes and others can easily cash in on those BRA approvals without investing a dime in development. So, I think we're more likely to see parcels change hands than we are to see forward progress with development.

The Big Dig and Silver Line tunnel projects had this area tied up in construction during much of the last economic boom. Didn't the Channel club get closed and taken by eminent domain for one or both of those projects?

That black building next to SS should be blown up and redeveloped. Nobody's gonna miss it. I know some floors were rehabbed 15 years ago? but who cares it's probably outdated now anyway.

IMO AW looks stumpy bc it's sitting on top of those 7 story buildings. If it were free standing it'd have a stronger presence.

is that the Stone & Webster building, between South Station and the Post Office?

Back