Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

People have a right to whine about boring squat boxes that are plopping up all over the city and wasting our footprint space, especially in a prime location.

So a run down factory building was preferred?

titan-boston-harbor-image.jpg

Maybe they should put 93 back up above ground through the center of downtown too?

2152669434_28d7947f2b_o.jpg

So a run down factory building was preferred?

Maybe they should put 93 back up above ground through the center of downtown too?
</p>
You really think that is the implication? If so, then you must be one of those "well, it's better than what it was before" people. What I was hoping for something bigger, better, and something that could help attract people to a barren median strip of a greenway.

Well, as of now it IS bigger, better, and people are down there looking at it daily...I bet there will be more people spending time outside once the public space is complete. Look next door to the Intercontinental. Ever go out there at lunch time on a nice day? You're lucky to find a place to sit.

Thank you Boston Youre My Home. I agree with your sentiments entirely. Critiques of new or proposed developments are fine and, in fact, important. We should always be asking for things to be better. But many on this Board seem to have a knee-jerk negative reaction to just about everything - even before it can properly be judged. It drives me crazy when people, as they often do on this Board, judge projects from photographs of a partially completed project which often provide a very poor sense of what the final project will be like in person on the ground.

The Greenway is a good example of the whining that goes on here. Your before and after photo demonstrate how much better the City is now with the Greenway and without the Central Artery. The Greenway can, should and I believe will be better still, but one poster suggested (I can't remember who, but he wasn't kidding) that the City was better with the Artery than the Greenway, and the amount of bitching about it is, at times, absurd. I walk the Greenway frequently, and, in good weather, parts of it are teeming with people and activity; parts of it are not. (Much of the criticism appears to come from people who spend little or no time on the Greenway.) Lets help the Conservancy make the right decisions about the future of the Greenway so that it will reach its full potential, even if it is not the preferred vision of everyone on this Board, because it is here to stay.

Love that Dirty Water.

Your user names and agreement with each other is all too coincidental.

I agree much of their sentiments...and I've been around this board for years. And if they are the same person, what of it? I have a feeling it's not the first time with posters on this board.

Sometimes I don't understand you guys. You all seem to be yearning for new developments, and big developments...and here you have a perfectly good quality 30 story building...and all you do is bitch and moan about how it looks like houston...newflash. It doesn't look like houston. It looks like a cluster of skyscrapers and water, which can be found in about 100 different cities in the world. Would you rather we bulldoze it all and replace it with an algea farm so it can be "uniquely boston"?

Thank you thank you thank you. Would you guys cut the Houston or Dallas or Atlanta crap? Seriously, this is snobbishness at its best. You know what, I personally think some of the skylines that is used in jest trump Boston's easily. Definitely not in density levels but still better in that their skyline varies better in height and is not a plateau. Would you like it if the people from the other cities comment on a short cluster of similar towers as, looks like Boston, squat and boxy? Just recently one of the forum member criticized Minneapolis because it doesn't have a skyline and inadvertently insulted a former resident of the city and started a flame war. Cut the crap.

TGIF. The anger needs to settle over a nice weekend.

Anywho, I've never been sold on the design, but it has eveolved from very ugly to it might be good when complete.

I'm also not sure about the glass, but I am glad it's quite different from the IC glass so that there is a sharp contrast. I like glass on towers, but I do not like several glass towers all clustered together. Glass works best when it is in contrast to a neighbor or neighbors of varying finishes. I would love to see another 7 - 10 glass towers in the downtown skyline, as long as they are interspersed well with the existing (and overwhelmingly) stone finishes.

As it will be only 2 buildings next to each other with very different glass finishes these may work well together. I think they may also help take away some of the negativity that the Fed gets next door.

Like said above. We shall wait and see, and enjoy.

Your user names and agreement with each other is all too coincidental.
Sorry to disappoint you. Though we might come from the same song, I have no idea who Boston Youre My Home is. One thing I know is that he or she is not me.

OK. But if "Frustrated Women" logs in, you guys are on the suspect list!

Thank you thank you thank you. Would you guys cut the Houston or Dallas or Atlanta crap? Seriously, this is snobbishness at its best. You know what, I personally think some of the skylines that is used in jest trump Boston's easily. Definitely not in density levels but still better in that their skyline varies better in height and is not a plateau. Would you like it if the people from the other cities comment on a short cluster of similar towers as, looks like Boston, squat and boxy? Just recently one of the forum member criticized Minneapolis because it doesn't have a skyline and inadvertently insulted a former resident of the city and started a flame war. Cut the crap.

Your heart is in the right place, but honestly, most people in Dallas don't care about their city the way people in Boston do. The "city" part of Dallas is just a place to drive into, work, and get out of as quickly as possible. The rest is just nightmare suburban sub-developments. I've lived in both places and comparing Boston to Dallas is a pretty heavy insult, and an unmerited one.

Your heart is in the right place, but honestly, most people in Dallas don't care about their city the way people in Boston do.

I'm not sure if that is true, that people from Dallas don't care so much, but I can say for myself, as a Bostonian, that I care about Boston because of what it was. Fires, blundering urban renewal, and dumb ass politicians damn near destroyed it all. Today it appears we are still struggling to save it from the likes of Menino and the BRA and unimaginative developers. I'm all for growth, but I want it to be intelligent and with elegant and grand architecuture that is both functional and beautiful, but certainly not at the expense of older architecture that is worth preserving. Boston today may be a shadow of her former self, but she is nonetheless still grand and still unique among American cities, and yes, her image still worth fighting for.

Your heart is in the right place, but honestly, most people in Dallas don't care about their city the way people in Boston do.

I'm not sure if that is true, that people from Dallas don't care so much, but I can say for myself, as a Bostonian, that I care about Boston because of what it was. Fires, blundering urban renewal, and dumb ass politicians damn near destroyed it all. Today it appears we are still struggling to save it from the likes of Menino and the BRA and unimaginative developers. I'm all for growth, but I want it to be intelligent and with elegant and grand architecuture that is both functional and beautiful, but certainly not at the expense of older architecture that is worth preserving. Boston today may be a shadow of her former self, but she is nonetheless still grand and still unique among American cities, and yes, her image still worth fighting for.

I agree so much!!! Who cares about those Dallas yokels. Even if they care about Dallas, what they care about isn't important. They don't have our history, in my opinion. It is in our blood!!! They wouldn't know real history even if they moved here and a colonial red brick hit them on the head!!! (And I bet you guys would help me throw it at them!!! LOL!!!) Myself, I was born in Boston and grew up on my grandmothers knee hearing about the Puritans and the Tea Party. If she were alive today she would turn over in her grave seeing some of this crap. Why can't we have architecture like that anymore, I ask you?

Your heart is in the right place, but honestly, most people in Dallas don't care about their city the way people in Boston do. The "city" part of Dallas is just a place to drive into, work, and get out of as quickly as possible. The rest is just nightmare suburban sub-developments. I've lived in both places and comparing Boston to Dallas is a pretty heavy insult, and an unmerited one.

I question your statement. Just because you lived there doesn't mean you represent the population's mindset. I'm pretty sure there are those who care about the city in the same level as people in Boston do. Like you said, not like Bostonians do, but in a different way. However, what irritates me is the snobbishness of the comments. Boston may have history and density but so does other cities. Obviously they are not the same but they have significant importance if they managed to be a large city with many tourists. Saying that comparing Boston to Dallas is a heavy insult shows nothing more but arrogance.

PS might want to split this into a new thread.

IMO, Justin and Meadowlark are right!!! If you were borne and brought up on this stuff you understand. And you can read about it too, but it isn't the same. Bulfinch is the best architect there ever was, and that is FACT!!! I took a roadtrip to Hartford last week (man the bus sucks) and saw the Aetna building. All red brick and colonial windows. Colonial is the BEST, in my humble opinion!!! That is exactly the sort of building that shoulda been built on this Russia Wharf site. Traditional colonial style. It shouts Boston. Not this outta town crap, know what I mean?

I question your statement. Just because you lived there doesn't mean you represent the population's mindset. I'm pretty sure there are those who care about the city in the same level as people in Boston do. Like you said, not like Bostonians do, but in a different way. However, what irritates me is the snobbishness of the comments. Boston may have history and density but so does other cities. Obviously they are not the same but they have significant importance if they managed to be a large city with many tourists. Saying that comparing Boston to Dallas is a heavy insult shows nothing more but arrogance.

PS might want to split this into a new thread.

I love Boston but I'm not sitting here saying it's the best city in the world. I'm saying that Dallas does not compare. I'm not really sure how that is arrogant. I can also totally kick my three-year-old's ass in arm-wrestling.

(yeah, this should probably be split off)

Haha, whether you're right or wrong there's nothing humble about those opinions.

Back