Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Russia Wharf

O dear...people are begging for colonial rowhomes over a glass tower...no wonder boston can't build tall anymore.

^^ You realize the two aren't mutually exclusive, right?
You can build new townhouses and new glass towers in the same city.

The trick is where to put which.

Yes, can we get back to what is being built ;)
014-17.jpg
006-13.jpg
0144.jpg
015-19.jpg
0066.jpg
0066.jpg

Justin is right about this, IMHO, but I OFFICIALLY disagree on spanking children. (WINK) All I am saying is that Boston is a grand dame and there is so little left to save that we MUST work to recreate the loss. Otherwise we keep losing, and end up looking like Columbus. Half in Santo Domingo and the other foot in Madrid.

I don't think the colonial town house idea ON TOP of a skyscraper is practicle. It would not be historically correct. But you are walking on the right track, but got off at the wrong station, like that Cahill guy says.

You seem like a nice guy, so DON'T let it get you down. KEEP PLUGGING!!!

^^ You realize the two aren't mutually exclusive, right?
You can build new townhouses and new glass towers in the same city.

The trick is where to put which.

How about both in the same place?

saltonstall.jpg

How about both in the same place?

saltonstall.jpg
nice pix ^Suffolks should buy that Old Bell Atlantic building on the left,build a new tower on the newer addition and preserve the older art deco tower

Boston02124, the first two photos in this last series I believe to be among the very best you have ever posted, and you have posted some great ones. Great composition. Thanks for your efforts. What camera do you use?

^ thanks it's amazeing what you can do while driving lol! I use a cannon power shot sx100 I had to send it back to cannon 3 x's when I 1st purchase it. But I guess 3rd times a charm, because so far so good for the past 7 months!

^ thanks it's amazeing what you can do while driving lol! I use a cannon power shot sx100 I had to send it back to cannon 3 x's when I 1st purchase it. But I guess 3rd times a charm, because so far so good for the past 7 months!

seriously, the first pic is great. actually makes the area look better then it is in person. lifted my spirits. if this building is successful, i think it will set the precedent for future development along the greenway

^wow! thanks! today I actually walked around the block instead of hanging my camera out the window of a moveing car! It was late afternoon so the lighting is different
059-8.jpg
057-10.jpg
053-7.jpg
055-9.jpg
051-6.jpg
046-10.jpg
045-6.jpg
037-13.jpg
038-7.jpg
039-8.jpg
It change's the IC skin even without it's glass not installed yet. Should be interesting when they reflect off each other(I think someone mention that before?).
042-9.jpg
043-7.jpg
044-6.jpg
some from 93 north this morning
016-22.jpg
015-21.jpg
010-19.jpg
^ I like how it extends the skyline and and when it appears to stand alone!

Seeing the photos made me wish that there was an intermediate step to transition from the base to the tower.
In any event, I like that it softens the impact of the ICH.

I love this design, especially how thin it is on the waterfront side. Regardless, it looks nice, although i'm hoping there are a few more stories to go, it would look really nice if it were about a third up the fed [i mean from the view in the last pic, obviously its much more than a third of the fed up close and personal]

The glass looks nicer in person.

I'm not going to lie but this shot of the skyline makes it seems like Boston is still in the 1980s. Hardly anything that makes it seem like it improved much, design, density, or height wise.

I have a hard time remembering because I was so young and it was once a year we would pass thru on our way to vacation in Maine. But, subtract 1 Financial, the new State St. tower, and beyond that International Place, and you have a much different skyline in the 80's. And, even though no one really likes the Hartford ready tower that is 1 Financial, I would say that all those changes have done a lot as far as density and yes definitely design. True about the height.

Think of those 3 or 4 towers mentioned above and contrast them to the previous batch of highrises like One Boston, One Federal, and 100 Federal and it is light years ahead.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong and you're saying it hasn't changed since the 80's towers were built, but I remember most of the 80's as not having them or them being in construction. Of course the new state street wasn't built yet, and might be the only major addition in that shot since the 80's....

I have a hard time remembering because I was so young and it was once a year we would pass thru on our way to vacation in Maine. But, subtract 1 Financial, the new State St. tower, and beyond that International Place, and you have a much different skyline in the 80's. And, even though no one really likes the Hartford ready tower that is 1 Financial, I would say that all those changes have done a lot as far as density and yes definitely design. True about the height.

Think of those 3 or 4 towers mentioned above and contrast them to the previous batch of highrises like One Boston, One Federal, and 100 Federal and it is light years ahead.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong and you're saying it hasn't changed since the 80's towers were built, but I remember most of the 80's as not having them or them being in construction. Of course the new state street wasn't built yet, and might be the only major addition in that shot since the 80's....

I'm mainly talking about the designs and heights. While it is true many of the towers weren't there in the 1980s. Nothing was built afterward that made it look like something recent.

Back