Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Ur Right I meant to post this pix
211-1.jpg
the others were on Harrison ave (uncropped)
233-3.jpg

hahaha... that spire reminds me of when i was a kid and we would take the toothpics out of sandwiches and sword fight with them.

Almost done....

prepare to put your camera's in your closets.

I know! but I hear the Charlestown project is getting ready to start,then maybe the Mass Art this spring so hopefully something!

Dam I knew someone would ask! I don't know the name, its on here somewhere,but one of the pm's said it's about to start!

Hopefully NU's new dorm will get back on track soon with the economy slowly getting back on its feet and confidence that it WILL get back on its feet at some point. Once they decide to green-light it, I would think the construction would be able to commence rather quickly. I would also think they would want to get going on construction while contractors are very slow so they can negotiate lower prices.

Today
136-5.jpg
152-2.jpg
145.jpg

Last edited:

Brilliant!

Is that Damocles' sword?

State Street, Intercontinental, Russia Wharf, the Courthouse, and Fan Pier fill out their section of the skyline well! Now we just have to wait 75 years for Fan Pier to evolve into a neighborhood.

Neighborhood? Never.

At only 650-675 residential units approved by the BRA for Fan Pier's fairly vast 21 acre parcel, and an insignificant number of residential units in any of the other buildings mentioned on the downtown side of the Fort Point Channel, the area will be far from a neighborhood in 50-75 years.

The draw of the Financial District and BCEC will make sure the area evolves with hotels, destination commercial and offices. Sure, Seaport Square publicizes 2500 residential units but by the time they are done with their Phase 1 (largely office/hotel) and Phase 2 (same), we will be left with only enough land for a small fraction of the residential they are promising to gain their approvals. The Seaport is guaranteed to be dead as a doornail on nights and weekends.

The reason? Residents are A) a drain on city services, B) residents are change agents in the political dynamic of the machinery that runs city hall, C) residential construction has not proven as lucrative as office/hotel in such close proximity to downtown and finally D) the BRA could give a damn about a grand plan -- that's why they approve only a smattering of residential year after year after year. In our neighborhood, the BRA considers residential development "an exceptional community benefit" worthy of any number of entitlements for the developers, from tax incentives to variances.

Epic fail.

Neighborhood? Never.

At only 650-675 residential units approved by the BRA for Fan Pier's fairly vast 21 acre parcel, and an insignificant number of residential units in any of the other buildings mentioned on the downtown side of the Fort Point Channel, the area will be far from a neighborhood in 50-75 years.

The draw of the Financial District and BCEC will make sure the area evolves with hotels, destination commercial and offices. Sure, Seaport Square publicizes 2500 residential units but by the time they are done with their Phase 1 (largely office/hotel) and Phase 2 (same), we will be left with only enough land for a small fraction of the residential they are promising to gain their approvals. The Seaport is guaranteed to be dead as a doornail on nights and weekends.

The reason? Residents are A) a drain on city services, B) residents are change agents in the political dynamic of the machinery that runs city hall, C) residential construction has not proven as lucrative as office/hotel in such close proximity to downtown and finally D) the BRA could give a damn about a grand plan -- that's why they approve only a smattering of residential year after year after year. In our neighborhood, the BRA considers residential development "an exceptional community benefit" worthy of any number of entitlements for the developers, from tax incentives to variances.

Epic fail.

I was kidding...I liked and agreed with your post though. From an architectural, aesthetic, and urbanistic standpoint, the neighborhood is already an abomination and a carelessly aborted opportunity for Boston to attempt to show the world that we can still get things done. I wonder what Victorian Boston would have done with this opportunity...

There is nothing about the neighborhood (other than commute time) that would recommend it to me as a place to live. The warehouse area's got a good vibe but that's disappearing thanks to gentrification and the fact that Boston (unlike New York) does not protect working artists from being priced out. And of course it can't be developed into a real business district because the airport limits heights...so (if we're lucky), we're going to have an awkwardly-laid-out mishmash of low-to-mid-rise boxes that empty at 5 o'clock except for the hotels whose guests go into the city for their fun. Irritating and indicative of Boston's second-class status not only as a global city but as a built environment.

^ I don't think there's any aspect of the Seaport (save height limits) that's unlike, say, Canary Wharf or La Defense, so I wouldn't chalk up all its failures to "Boston" or "third class city-ness". Nor do height limits spell the end of its potential as a business district - DC does okay without them, and the location near the airport is actually terrific. If anything, it's that these factors (plus cheaper land and fewer NIMBY fights) will make office development more attractive here for years, suppressing the downtown office market and skyline development, and killing any chances of less profitable residential development in the Seaport.

Back