Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

Whoa, were you in my office today?

yes I was Im always there and they always let me take a pix :)

The city looks tired from this angle. Maybe it's the gray sky, the 1960' s architecture or both. This building is needed.

The photo really makes the saks fifth and shaws look terrible. Considering the decking is already in place, is there a chance that either would ever actually get built up?

Yep, that's my view all day. Not wanting to take a nice high-rise view for granted, but you're right that it's terrible, with the Hancock being the only saving grace. Other than that you're looking right at some of the most bland architecture in the city.

^ Just a few up from there

If I saw this photo I would never visit Boston. Dreary architecture. dreary day.

The 101 Huntington redo is pretty bad too. The original was nothing great but it wasn't trying to pretend to be anything other than what it was. Now with the dopey cornice and brackets it looks like a tired, desperate drag queen.

The 101 Huntington redo is pretty bad too. The original was nothing great but it wasn't trying to pretend to be anything other than what it was. Now with the dopey cornice and brackets it looks like a tired, desperate drag queen.

Actually I really like 101 Huntington... something about its weird blend of modern with classic aesthetics along the top.

How did the Pru center end up with such second rate modernism? The residential towers are mediocre at best, the Sheraton is awful, and the Hilton double downs on that awfulness. Bewildering.

What exactly is so bad about these buildings?

What exactly is so bad about these buildings?

The residential buildings mismashed use of brick and concrete kills me. Classic example of someone saying, "This is Boston. We need to incorporate brick somehow .... anyhow."
I don't mind 101. That hat's a bit silly, but it's not in your face or anything. It was an OK building before and it's an OK building now.

I like the residential. It's sort of International Style, more of a play on it I guess, and Boston doesn't have a ton of International. Maybe it's just a personal style preference, but I a) like that style, and b) like that it adds some variety.

Thankfully the residential will be partially hidden by 77 Exeter street when looking from Copley Square

The residential buildings mismashed use of brick and concrete kills me.

For my money, the three residential towers are half-assed gestures to the wisely published work of Edward Durrell Stone and (to a very small degree) Louis Kahn.

I've always hated (yes strong word) the residential high rises at the Pru for 2 reasons.
a. They're all the same. Boring, same height, same finish.
b. The finish is awful. It matches the Pru to my eye, but the Pru pulls off its ugliness somewhat by being unique, and above all stand alone tall. These pay homage to ugliness with their own, and it is horrible to my eyes.

Two of the residential towers could benefit (maybe even greatly) from a rehab of the rooftop mechanical boxes. They are big, dreary, ratty looking. On many buildings they can be treated as an unimportant afterthought but this is a prominent location and they are very noticeable. And as mentioned above the brick is a clumsy attempt to look Bostonian.

The Sheraton even when new already looked middle-aged. Uninspired filing cabinet.

The Hilton is the Kensington of its day. A down and dirty container built with minimal effort in order to maximize profit.

The Pru tower though is fun. It looks kind of like a blocky robot without arms. Someone needs to make a film with a chase scene climax of people jumping from letter to letter of the PRUDENTIAL sign in Hitchcockian tribute. Or a creature (an escapee from an MIT lab?) mutated to King Kong size climbs it and throws a deserving villain off the top. Marty Walz! The Pru deserves this.

Back