Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

All the Pru itself and the residential towers need is love.

Residental Towers:
-Powerwash the concrete (restores the contrast between it and the brick)
-Replace windows, either with integrated shades or tinted/reflective glass to avoid the white window trend with so many shades pulled down. This really kills the building as well.
-Repaint/reclad the mechanical floors. Maybe with aluminum to match the pru.
-Lighting. Light up the penthouse and mechanical floors like a christmas tree. Some soft downlighting on the sides could be nice too.

The Pru:
-Shine up the aluminum so it blinds aircraft pilots with its splendor.
-Replace the teal panels. Possibly the same color, just freshen it up.
-Clear glass instead of mirrored, to allow the teal panels and aluminum to really stand out.

If you notice, the pru looks AMAZING in night shots, particularly because the long exposures hide the years of dirt and grime and make it looks new and shiny. Making it look this way in the daytime would do wonders.

The depth of materiality on the pru is really stunning, and particularly unmatched in any towers before or after. That should be embraced instead of left to deteriorate.
4156310090_a47414d89c.jpg

^ Not my image

woah! that's going to add a whole new look to the area.

From today!

Nice pics, thanks!
Wonder why the iron is rising so fast here and yet, at 129 Kingston, in Chinatown, the central core is up, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up, but no iron yet!

That's a big core...way wider than some other recent new builds

That's a big core...way wider than some other recent new builds

Yeah, it's a gigantic core. The egress stairs are all bundled into this monster quite nicely. The other space in there is taken up by HVAC and various other MEP. They might also be implementing express elevators for the luxury convenience, so more sf is required for elevators.

Nice pics, thanks!
Wonder why the iron is rising so fast here and yet, at 129 Kingston, in Chinatown, the central core is up, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up, but no iron yet!

I believe Liberty Mutual's core went up a ways before iron showed up too.

Why is everyone suddenly referring to steel moment frame construction as "iron?" Iron is no longer used in construction. It's steel.

I've seen this in a few threads now.

Why is everyone suddenly referring to steel moment frame construction as "iron?" Iron is no longer used in construction. It's steel.

I've seen this in a few threads now.

What about reinforced cement ;-P

I don't think anyone believes the steel is iron. It's construction vernacular. Like when people say, "(Company) mobilized a lot of iron for that job" referring to construction equipment. No one thinks the equipment is made of iron.

Though I agree with Dave, the cement/concrete flip/flop kills me.

The core is rising so slowly due to how wide this big boy is going to be that they might as well build the steel at the same time to keep up with deadlines. Watching this core is like watching the grass grow.

I been noticing the iron usage too and wondered. No one ever refers to it as iron. It's always about steel rising. Even the "iron"workers talk about steel.

A building maybe referred to as brick and mortar, or bricks and sticks when talking about the stuff that's not steel or MEP when talking about costs etc.

But, to each their own and good luck coining new/old vernacular.

1990scraper.

The Prudential is wait out of scale in that first render.

How old is this proposal? A lot of these renderings seem to be older...

And the winner of the Least Unattractive Prudential Building is...
Actually it's not bad at all and it helps to mitigate a bit the curse of the raised platform.

1990scraper.

But that beige precast is soooo 2000s, bud.

How old is this proposal? A lot of these renderings seem to be older...

Plans for a tower here go back to the late '80s, when Boston Properties last did a master plan for the complex. But what we're seeing for renderings is a mixture of ones from within the last year and then others dating back to autumn 2006, when BP announced they would move forward with this and 888 Boylston.

When I walked by, I was taken by how massive the "core" is. LOL. But, seriously, it is. A result of building over the Turnpike?

Back