Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

^ Nope. Every tower in the Prudential Center is built over solid ground. Of course, as soon as I type that I look and see 888 Boylston will break with that practice.

img2432bq8.jpg

Why is the trunk so thick?? It looks as though the units are actually built right into the elevator shaft?

IMG-20130312-00448_zps37d13091.jpg

I'm going with panic rooms.

How many elevators are in that core? Is this building tall enough for segregated elevator access?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the tallest building U/C in Boston right now, yes? In fact, it's the tallest since Atlantic Wharf was finished a couple years ago. How tall is this again exactly? 320?

According to Emporis, Jacob Wirth is supposed to be about 340 ft. Of course, that one might not officially be under construction yet.

Last edited:

Anyone have any thoughts on the reasons why this is moving incredibly slow? Is that by design? If so, why? Does a slower construction schedule save the developers money? Certainly the core should long be complete by now even if it is a huge one.

Certainly the core should long be complete by now even if it is a huge one.

Why? Most buildings don't build their whole cores without any steel. In fact, I have never seen this in my life until the last couple of years. It seems to be moving at a pretty normal pace as far as I can tell.

There seemed to be a ton of below-ground demolition/reconstruction that delayed this project's sprouting from the ground. Since we've gone above ground, they seem to be going pretty steady. And I've definitely seem people working their on Saturday's, so there has definitely been weekend work going on. Also, the fact that there are a couple of thousands of apartments/condos in the immediate vicinity might be forcing them to be a bit more methodical in their work.

Why? Most buildings don't build their whole cores without any steel. In fact, I have never seen this in my life until the last couple of years. It seems to be moving at a pretty normal pace as far as I can tell.

The core here as risen MUCH slower than other recent cores around town (see Dainty Dot, Waterside Place etc.)

Can the construction manager play a role in the speed ofr a project? The CM on this project is Moriarty, who is also doing the Longwood Center project, another project that seems to be taking a long time. As I recall, Moriarty also did Atlantic Wharf, which was a fairly long project, but one that ended up with a nice finished product.

By comparison, projects managed by Suffolk seem to fly out of the ground.

The core here as risen MUCH slower than other recent cores around town (see Dainty Dot, Waterside Place etc.)

Again, both of those cores shot up without any steel at all. Most buildings do NOT get built like that. Usually, the core stays a few floors ahead of the steel, not the entire building ahead.

This is the first time I actually know where this tower is going, thank you!

From Top of the Hub:

2013-03-24_15-52-54_109_zps07bb3d10.jpg

2013-03-24_16-23-22_382_zpsa8dddd4d.jpg

Shadows/glare sucked.

Do these future residents know that the Pru will cast a shadow on them????

Marty you loser, don't leave now!! We have to knock down the Pru before people start moving in.

Back