Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

CBT, Elkus, etc can design some really great and innovative buildings.

Yes they can. I like both CBT's Squashbusters at NU and 33 Arch by Elkus. Too often though they reach for this lazy boilerplate.

3.2 million to over site affordable housing. Do they have the option to include this in this project and they instead chose to pay for offsite? And then 200,000 in hostage pay for some bullshit. I get the 300k for causeway st because its increased traffic. Money for the west end civic assoc? Thats called blackmail

3.2 million to over site affordable housing. Do they have the option to include this in this project and they instead chose to pay for offsite? And then 200,000 in hostage pay for some bullshit. I get the 300k for causeway st because its increased traffic. Money for the west end civic assoc? Thats called blackmail

They included 27 units in the building as well. They most likely could have upped that to 35-40, but it was probably cheaper to just pay the 3.2m.

Because the place the Louvre really should have gone is above the parking lot at the PSG Stadium?

Tolerating cheap, shitty design only serves to amplify its undesired impact, and the tone it sets for developers elsewhere in the city.

And I'm not asking for the Louvre here, or any of the other places we've erected generic precast-brick veneer-Alucobond-and-glass landscrapers and high-rises. I'm asking for a more creative use of these materials.

The new Bulfinch Triangle buildings are (or will be) crap. Here was an opportunity to re-make a neighborhood, and present some architectural flair facing the Zakim. But instead, we get three loaves of Wonder Bread on a shelf. Boring, and worse, lazy.

Good grief. The overblown negativity needs a rest. From the render, you can't even tell what the materials are. I'm squinting my hardest, and all I can make out is glass and "tan thing." And no matter how hard I squint, I can't see the side facing the Zakim, so I'm not exactly sure how you're prejudging it.

Last edited:

It's a tall Fan Pier. I like it.

Straight garbage. What's with putting precast panels EVERYWHERE in Boston? Garbage, just garbage.

For me, crappy designs and materials are par for Boston, so why complain and bitch. I am just happy that this may actually move forward. I have given up the hope that a signature tower in Boston will get built anytime soon. Having said that, this doesn't look too bad from that render. I hold off my final opinion until....or I should "if", this gets built.
It is better than a vacant parking lot, that is fore sure.

I live in San Francisco and they are putting the same stuff up here. It's not just Boston. And Los Angeles, the same.

From the render, you can't even tell what the materials are. I'm squinting my hardest, and all I can make out is glass and "tan thing." And no matter how hard I squint, I can't see the side facing the Zakim, so I'm not exactly sure how you're prejudging it.

I made reference to the materials palate of this project some time ago, up-thread.

Standard glass curtain-wall with prefabricated masonry units...

And the world will keep turning, with good or bad design. For my money, our experience of the world is improved by good design. It would appear that you and I place a different value on aesthetics, and use a different yardstick to measure quality and innovation.

It's a hell of alot better than that 80's pomo-crap next to it. The one with the brown lines.

It would appear that you and I place a different value on aesthetics, and use a different yardstick to measure quality and innovation.

First difference seems to be that I'll at least wait for more than a tiny render to judge something's materials.

Looks like a real tower compared to kensingcrap

It's the type of high-rise we should expect from a company that made it's mark developing stick-built, faux-cedar shake, garden-style apartments. It's nice to get the added density from what will be a well-run development and building.
But to echo Beton, too bad that this will be a "gateway building" for those approaching from the North. From the water you get the Boston Harbor Hotel and IP. From the South you get State Street and the Fed. From the West your eyes are drawn to the Pru and JH. And from the north you'll get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Last edited:

Much better than it was in the 70's ......... whiner

Whatever criteria we could make up for a "Gateway" plot, this is hidden from the rest of the Triangle behind the Garden and O'Neil, and bordered on it's other sides by the Spaulding parking lot and 93 on/off ramps. Copley Square it ain't.

Am I alone in being sick to death of the "pastiche approach" to façades? Mixed materials, seemingly random elements, like the swaths of glass that look glued onto the masonry elements. These buildings look like architectural extortion letters, assembled out of modernist clichés.

Hear, hear. IMO, the Suffolk building proposed for the brick MDC pre-war on Beacon Hill is the most lugubrious / risible manifestation of this.

There is deffinately a noticable difference in this type of architecture and something far beyond in quality but to the untrained eye (95% of society, if not more) coming down 93 south across the zakim, this area will be pretty impressive. Along with this development, that of course includes the completion of the north station towers, lovejoy wharf, the merano, the basketball city apartments(maybe) and the northpoint development(?).

When does construction begin?

Back