Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

Uh oh. That rendering looks like fan pier and the Kensington had a love child. Buzz your girlfriend.... woof

Aforementioned rendering:

Nashua-Street-Residences-Tower-Rendering.jpg

(Why can't this be all glass...?)

Please take the Millenium Tower design back to 1995 where it belongs.

Oh dear... The Kensington and OMPD's bastard child.

Will this benighted city ever green-light a major project of architectural merit again?

Will this benighted city ever green-light a major project of architectural merit again?

"Background Buildings" forever, apparently.

There is no foreground.

But but but.....look at the rainbow glass! Of course that'll be the first thing to get VE'd out but hey...it counts for something, right?

Really though, there was no way in hell this ugly location was going to give us anything better than "middling".

CBT architects. They try but often miss the mark, sometimes even the whole target.
It's not so bad though.

Yup, I've said it before and I'll say it again: CBT does middling work better than anyone.

Looks like they stood The Victor up on its side.

Am I alone in being sick to death of the "pastiche approach" to façades? Mixed materials, seemingly random elements, like the swaths of glass that look glued onto the masonry elements. These buildings (One Marina Park Drive, 1380 Boylston, Avenir, The Victor, Kensington) look like architectural extortion letters, assembled out of modernist clichés.

Why aren't we better than this?

Am I alone in being sick to death of the "pastiche approach" to façades? Mixed materials, seemingly random elements, like the swaths of glass that look glued onto the masonry elements. These buildings (One Marina Park Drive, 1380 Boylston, Avenir, The Victor, Kensington) look like architectural extortion letters, assembled out of modernist clichés.

Elkus Manfredi is often guilty of the same thing. I'm not sure if these glass/precast curtain wall hybrids happen in other cities. Anything like them in NY, Chicago, LA? Between EM and CBT maybe they've created a new "Boston" style.

I don't think this is actively unpleasant to look at, and frankly I think a city where every building had "architectural distinction" would be pretty ugly and overwhelming, but here's my question:

Does CBT employ humans? Seriously, that looks like it was designed by a computer. They just fed in some jpegs of 1MPD, Millenium Place, Kensington and Atlantic Wharf along with some basic massing information and just had a computer program generate a design.

I am not an architect, nor do I plan to become one. I do, however, take pride in my work, and when I've talked to people who build buildings for a living they have told me how magical it is to drive your child by a building you worked on and say "I built that." That's called taking pride in your work, and most of us do it.

How can an architect look at that picture of what may be the largest and most visible impression they make on the world and say "yeah, I put my all into that one. I made that building all it could be." Will they take their kids past it and say: "see that 400 foot building which looks exactly like every other building in the city constructed in the decade before it? I did that."

I realize the BRA is overly-conservative and stifling. I realize that this client might not be going for any awards or international recognition for a building whose greatest contribution to the city will be at ground level anyway. But if I were designing this I would see that as a challenge and maximize within constraints (as Atlantic Wharf did, IMO). Is anyone taking pride in this work? And if so, why?

The architects are not entirely to blame. The architects are tasked with the job to design a building based on the BUDGET the developer/client gives them. Just like everything else in life, you pay for what you get in architecture too. When compensated appropriately in not just finances, but also time, CBT, Elkus, etc can design some really great and innovative buildings.

The architects are not entirely to blame. The architects are tasked with the job to design a building based on the BUDGET the developer/client gives them. Just like everything else in life, you pay for what you get in architecture too. When compensated appropriately in not just finances, but also time, CBT, Elkus, etc can design some really great and innovative buildings.

Unhappy when the lot sits empty, and unhappy with what's built on the lot.

There are those who prefer to curse the darkness rather than light a candle.

Middling design for a middling area. I can deal with it as long as Delaware North doesn't phone in the front. That is the place where good architecture will be seen and needs to be.

I cant figure out where the heck this building would go? In the Spalding rehab parking lot?

Edit: I think I got it. It's gonna be a tight squeeze. Will that existing single three-story west end tenement remain?

They could just keep the plans how they are but use all glass and dont have those blocky areas and it would be fine.

I'll take it.... It sure looks a lot bigger than I expected.

Looks good to me. I'd like to say I'm shocked that someone could be negative about materials based solely on a render that makes it impossible to tell what the materials are, but then again, I read this board.

Because the place the Louvre really should have gone is above the parking lot at the PSG Stadium?

Back