Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

I signed a lease in this building for December

1 Br for 2400 w/one month free ~2200/month after incentives

One Canal, which has a better location and a rooftop pool, is offering 1br for ~2500 after incentives

These prices aren't bad at all. These are the same prices for unrenovated Back Bay brownstones back in '14.

I believe these were always supposed to be "market rate" instead of "luxury" priced.

I believe these were always supposed to be "market rate" instead of "luxury" priced.

Despite the voodoo economics you hear spouted all over the internet, there is only one housing market.

"Luxury" is more or less a meaningless word in real estate. At best, it says something about intent. However, the price is the price no matter what words you use.

The price on these units is relatively low for new construction in downtown Boston and we should all celebrate that.

It looks much better now in person, I walk by all the time. My gripe is actually that the city didn't pre-plan a cycle track to run along nashua-lomasney-causeway connection

Despite the voodoo economics you hear spouted all over the internet, there is only one housing market.

"Luxury" is more or less a meaningless word in real estate. At best, it says something about intent. However, the price is the price no matter what words you use.

The price on these units is relatively low for new construction in downtown Boston and we should all celebrate that.

If this was true, then the price for this units should be the same as the ones in the Millennium Tower. There may be "one" housing market in general, but there are several different products in it, each with it's own market and caters to its own demographic.

If that's hard to understand, try thinking how there is "one" retail clothing market, but several different products, i.e. luxury (Hugo Boss), normal (American Eagle), discount (Primark), etc. It's the same concept.

...Too bad it's in a Kensington-grade econo box.

Now that this is just about done, I actually think this came together OK materials and design-wise. They'd always known it was going to be packed in amongst the Hub on Causeway and Garden Garage towers, and all things considered, there's enough glass and detailwork to offset all the pre-cast. This would never be a signature stand-alone tower, but in the context it will be in, it'll fine.
I also have a recommended therapeutic remedy:
Just look next door the heinous Longfellow apartment towers and you'll feel better.

If this was true, then the price for this units should be the same as the ones in the Millennium Tower. There may be "one" housing market in general, but there are several different products in it, each with it's own market and caters to its own demographic.

If that's hard to understand, try thinking how there is "one" retail clothing market, but several different products, i.e. luxury (Hugo Boss), normal (American Eagle), discount (Primark), etc. It's the same concept.

My point is that the housing market is a continuum, not discrete separate markets. Additions to the luxury end of the spectrum affect prices for homes in the budget end of the spectrum and vice versa. Using labels to classify or categorize are helpful, but many people have the mistaken impression that these categories are independent.

Housing may be fixed in location, but it is fluid in character. Whole neighborhoods move down-market and then back up-market (e.g. the South End). Rentals get condo-ized and mansions get chopped into multiple rentals. A property is not destined to remain in one category forever, though it is destined to remain in the same location.

The clothing market is fundamentally different because clothing is not (in general) durable. Of course there is a clothing aftermarket, but that is a stretch to compare with real estate that lasts 100 years or more.

Now that this is just about done, I actually think this came together OK materials and design-wise. They'd always known it was going to be packed in amongst the Hub on Causeway and Garden Garage towers, and all things considered, there's enough glass and detailwork to offset all the pre-cast. This would never be a signature stand-alone tower, but in the context it will be in, it'll fine.
I also have a recommended therapeutic remedy:
Just look next door the heinous Longfellow apartment towers and you'll feel better.
I like the Longfellow Towers (as well as the much-maligned Harbor Towers). They are muscular, substantial, and actually look built. Avalon, by contrast, looks as if it could have been snapped together. The next step in this kind of VE devolution could very well be Velcro-ed together buildings!

Hey there, best wishes for lots of good times in your new place! Nice choice, love the building and location...not sure what sort of views you'll have but I imagine they'll great views. Rooftop deck, skylounge, how cool! Congrats! ps...maybe post a few pics from the rooftop deck or skylounge when you're all moved in.

One Canal, which has a better location and a rooftop pool, is offering 1br for ~2500 after incentives

These prices aren't bad at all. These are the same prices for unrenovated Back Bay brownstones back in '14.

I just signed a lease here as well, for February. It is a shame that there is no pool, but I am excited to have a view of the trains pulling into North Station and having easy access to the T/shops there.

I just signed a lease here as well, for February. It is a shame that there is no pool, but I am excited to have a view of the trains pulling into North Station and having easy access to the T/shops there.

Watch them start offering 2 months free next month.

I'm at Troy right now and enjoyed the pool over the summer, but a nice rooftop view takes priority.

Hey there, best wishes for lots of good times in your new place! Nice choice, love the building and location...not sure what sort of views you'll have but I imagine they'll great views. Rooftop deck, skylounge, how cool! Congrats! ps...maybe post a few pics from the rooftop deck or skylounge when you're all moved in.

Thanks. I'm on 11th floor and will have east and south views aka WALLS.

Rooftop won't be open until April/May.

Thanks. I'm on 11th floor and will have east and south views aka WALLS.

Rooftop won't be open until April/May.

Hopefully you'll have great views of the Garden Garage and the Bullfinch Triangle going up.

I'm glad they building something there, and maybe it's because I haven't been back to Boston in over year, but I think this building is kind of ugly and boring looking.

It's not you, the building is just kind of ugly and boring.

eh ... more like something straight out of SIMCITY 2000. It could be better but I will say again that I think it has more upsides than down simply by filling an urban void and a tough site.

cca

Last time I saw it was way last year in June when the steel was really just starting to go up. Like I said before, I'm happy they're putting something there, but it just looks kind of tacky and uninspiring. Maybe when I see it in person the next time I'm in Boston it'll look nicer.

Back