Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Damn... The old Spaulding building and parking needs to go. Get the full compliment of train platforms built out and surrounded by some nice mixed use.

Could they do a South Station Tower type set up with a NS expansion, maybe it can help fund it. New tracks w. the foundation structure built as part of it, then sell off air rights to highest bidder.

If MGH owns the lot, maybe they can benefit too.

Could they do a South Station Tower type set up with a NS expansion, maybe it can help fund it. New tracks w. the foundation structure built as part of it, then sell off air rights to highest bidder.

If MGH owns the lot, maybe they can benefit too.

Great idea!...and if MBTA can benefit, all the better.

28439824413_c888b95de7_b.jpg

QUOTE]

This is the most flattering shot Ive seen of this.

Damn... The old Spaulding building and parking needs to go. Get the full compliment of train platforms built out and surrounded by some nice mixed use.

Could they do a South Station Tower type set up with a NS expansion, maybe it can help fund it....

Just gonna think out loud for a sec. The Spaulding building isn't great. But i doubt it'll be coming down in our lifetimes. it's an extremely valuable asset (to erase) in an austere pay-to-play environment. It's a pretty good waterfront step-up, anyway, and not too dense. So, maybe do a 700' skyscraper at 6 Martha (shadow problem? none). Put 1000~1200 spaces under the big parking lot with a tunnel or bridge to 6 Martha's parcel/tower.... Then, maybe do a pair of 600' skyscrapers rising above the new underground garage. That would be so badass. And West End would have a sick cluster of towers + the crowning jewel.

In 5~7 years, Boston is going to be a juggernaut. The money will be there for exactly such a reality to occur. Whether the poltiics would be up to fighting the West End nimby is a whole nuther matter.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking soon, but once North Point gets fully up, some of the Charles Pedestrian bridges, continued MGH growth and a need to expand North Station. All those put this beyond 2030 - and probably outside of this thread - but you'd have the status of high rise towers, a potential anchor in MGH offices and too big of an opportunity cost to pass up to let a bunch of high rise residential go unfulfilled.

Dark panels going up on the mech screen. Doesn't look like glass, but I only saw from afar.

Last edited:
One of the Big Dig ramps lies under the MGH parking lot, so underground parking is out.

Get the full compliment of train platforms built out

Your wish is your command. Shovels are scheduled to be in the ground in 2018 and a small scope of the project is adding tracks 11 and 12 at North Station. It will probably take many years for the entire commuter rail project to be complete, but it is in the pipeline.

Hopefully a large NSX will not be needed if a NS SS connector is built.

It is happening either way. It is also a hell of a lot easier to pull off and will happen much sooner, too. North Station and the approaching tracks are getting a major improvement.

Are they reinstating a third draw, or are they sticking with four tracks over the Charles?

I wasn't thinking soon, but once North Point gets fully up, some of the Charles Pedestrian bridges, continued MGH growth and a need to expand North Station. All those put this beyond 2030 - and probably outside of this thread - but you'd have the status of high rise towers, a potential anchor in MGH offices and too big of an opportunity cost to pass up to let a bunch of high rise residential go unfulfilled.

Actually, according to DivCo West's last presentation to us, *Northpoint* by itself will take until ~2030, at least the final, outlying parcels: about 7 years later than expected. (They lay most of the blame on the former owners...) I think you're likely to see quite a few elements from your list prior to NP being "done". Hell, at this point the folks building Avalon Bay Phase II are uncertain if they need the connection to the new Green Line viaduct since it ... might not be there.

I remember when the draw burned back in the 80's.... And I just dated myself.

BostonUrbEx -- is the plan for the pedestrian attached accessory bridge still in the design?

Good question. I'll have to take a closer look at the plans when I have a chance and see if I can figure that out. I should also probably create a new thread for this. :rolleyes:

Back