AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Re: Jacob Wirth's

I went digging through this thread to look for myself and saw that this thread (and proposed project) goes all the way back to 2006!

Great news! Although I am still not clear what this building is going to look like.

From what I can tell in filings 29 occupied floors plus 1 mechanical floor and roughly 340'.

Why wouldn't they?

You don't think the dynamics -both political and economic - of the neighborhood are bound to change with the completion of 750 luxury apartments (AVA Stuart, Kensington, Haydenb) immediately adjacent to the city's two highest-profile strip clubs?

You don't think the dynamics -both political and economic - of the neighborhood are bound to change with the completion of 750 luxury apartments (AVA Stuart, Kensington, Haydenb) immediately adjacent to the city's two highest-profile strip clubs?

Of course the neighborhood is changing. But I don't see how that means that the city or anyone else will be able to force these businesses out. I think they are here to stay so long as the demand is there. Any resident who moves into that area knows full well that these establishments exist in close proximity to their residence. Other than shutting down for a lack of business (unlikely), I don't see how these places are going anywhere.

Of course the neighborhood is changing. But I don't see how that means that the city or anyone else will be able to force these businesses out. I think they are here to stay so long as the demand is there. Any resident who moves into that area knows full well that these establishments exist in close proximity to their residence. Other than shutting down for a lack of business (unlikely), I don't see how these places are going anywhere.

I'm not necessarily predicting their closure, however if these apartments are a success at changing the dynamics of the neighborhood, it will have a net positive effect on surrounding real estate and the amounts that landlords can charge for rent. I'm assuming at this point that both Centerfolds and Glass Slipper rent their locations. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me). If a high-profile restauranteur approaches one of the landlords and says they will pay top dollar for one or both of those spaces, the strip clubs won't likely be offered a lease renewal.

I'm not aware of any city that has these types of businesses coexisting amongst luxury residential properties. Boston may end up being the exception, which would certainly make for an interesting urban dynamic. Time will tell.

The glass slipper had its license revoked/reviewed or something for a couple days after some stripper fight. Which seemed to me like they were putting the squeeze on the place for something so trivial in the back of the place. I bet they will be looking for reasons to revoke their license in the future when the neighborhood changes.

Also these arent just the two highest profile strip clubs in the city, they're the ony ones which is ridiculous for the size of the city.

Not sure economics would push them out. The only place easier than a high end restaurant to drop $100 real fast is a strip club. Neighbors complaining to the cops and the cops complaining to the licensing board might do it though.

The glass slipper had its license revoked/reviewed or something for a couple days after some stripper fight. Which seemed to me like they were putting the squeeze on the place for something so trivial in the back of the place. I bet they will be looking for reasons to revoke their license in the future when the neighborhood changes.

Also these arent just the two highest profile strip clubs in the city, they're the ony ones which is ridiculous for the size of the city.

Is that a matter of market forces or overly restrictive zoning? If I had to put an adult entertainment district in the city right now, I'm not sure where I would do it. I have heard some arguments that Boston's cache as a convention destination is limited because of a lack of a bonafide "red light" district. Not sure how valid that point is, but it's an interesting theory.

NYC has strip clubs right before Central Park

So I'm not completely sure, but isn't this going to be 312' or something? That would make it 1 foot taller than Avalon Exeter (I think) and tallest building to date to come out of our most recent boom. I look forward to it blocking the Kensington's hideous glass wall.

Is that with or without the mechanical suite? Because 312' sounds about right if the filing omits the mech. suite height.

It's quite possible. The filing lists the height as "29 floors/289 feet" so it could be that the "289" number only represents the height of the top occupied floor.

For the record, all of the buildings permits say 30 floors.

Taken yesterday afternoon, 8/21:

9569061769_c7a7bb575c_b.jpg

9569061389_26c8d908f5_b.jpg

9571855882_0d1050276d_b.jpg

9571855648_8481b03edd_b.jpg

Back