AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Re: Jacob Wirth's

It's too bad some of the buildings around this were not being demolished and rebuilt into something a little nicer.

I disagree. That block with Intermission Tavern, the Tam, and New York Pizza is perfect in its current scale. As I just mentioned in another thread, Emerson is trying to buy them all up to get the rest of that block. If you look at what they already have there at the corner of LaGrange and Tremont, it offers nothing to the streetscape, and I doubt their new construction would be much different.

Granted, the buildings there are not in the best of shape, but I'd prefer - if possible - a rehabilitation of them rather than demolishing them for another super block development.

Have you guys noticed there's one more empty parking lot across the street from this development? How big of a tower would fit there?

Have you guys noticed there's one more empty parking lot across the street from this development? How big of a tower would fit there?

Who cares? We can just tear down all those nasty old buildings and replace them with a tower!

^I'm just asking if the nimbys would allow a 6-story or a 26-story building in this empty lot.

The glass slipper had its license revoked/reviewed or something for a couple days after some stripper fight. Which seemed to me like they were putting the squeeze on the place for something so trivial in the back of the place. I bet they will be looking for reasons to revoke their license in the future when the neighborhood changes.

Also these arent just the two highest profile strip clubs in the city, they're the ony ones which is ridiculous for the size of the city.

For obvious reasons wealthy people won't want strip clubs near their apts but there should be a place for this sort of stuff in the city. If they get pushed out of this area, is there any chance they'd move towards the Leather District/Chinatown? Perhaps on the other side of the tracks into Southie near the Andrew station? Just trying to think of less-gentrified places or areas that still have a little industrial flavor.

Not very big, it's a fairly small lot. Something sleek, but that's kind of anathema in Boston.

For obvious reasons wealthy people won't want strip clubs near their apts but there should be a place for this sort of stuff in the city. If they get pushed out of this area, is there any chance they'd move towards the Leather District/Chinatown? Perhaps on the other side of the tracks into Southie near the Andrew station? Just trying to think of less-gentrified places or areas that still have a little industrial flavor.

It is a zoning question rather than one of lifestyle or free market economics. Strip clubs can locate only in the very few areas in the city that are zoned for adult entertainment. My recollection is that a small area in the ex-Combat Zone is so designated, and a lot of that has been developed in a way that would make it impossible. Leather District, doubtful. Southie...no way Jimmy Kelly or Raybo would have allowed that zoning.

My recollection is that a small area in the ex-Combat Zone is so designated, and a lot of that has been developed in a way that would make it impossible.

Exactly. It's somewhere on the BRA website--the adult-zoned area for Downtown almost perfectly overlaps the footprint of the Ritz-Carlton complex/Avery St. corridor. Hard to see the Roche Bobois ever transforming into a strip club....

It looks like on my way to seeing this thing rising before I ever see a clear rendering.

It is a zoning question rather than one of lifestyle or free market economics. Strip clubs can locate only in the very few areas in the city that are zoned for adult entertainment. My recollection is that a small area in the ex-Combat Zone is so designated, and a lot of that has been developed in a way that would make it impossible. Leather District, doubtful. Southie...no way Jimmy Kelly or Raybo would have allowed that zoning.

That's true, I didn't take zoning into account.

There's that weird little strip club outside Dudley Sq. Never been, but I've heard they have some weird restrictions. Probably also not a place the city wants to recreate a red light district seeing as they're already pumping so much money into the square's rehab.

My guess is that the Highland Tap was grandfathered as a pre-existing non-conforming use. Don't think you'll be seeing any others in Dudley Sq.!

There has to be a reasonable opportunity for free expression (stripping is considered a form of protected speech), which generally means that a certain percentage of available land must be zoned to permit strip clubs (I'd be interested to know which areas these are in Boston). Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that land zoned for it will be used as such as municipalities can enact all sorts of other "safety" regulations that all but make the operation of strip clubs impossible. I was just at the MMLA meeting in Sturbridge where this was discussed (apparently there has been some recent activity successfully challenging some Towns' Zoning Bylaws), but I haven't read through all the materials yet. Suffice it to say, the regulation of strip clubs is complex enough that people are giving seminars about it.

The internet is doing more to kill "adult entertainment" establishments than municipal zoning schemes. The trend will continue as virtualization technology improves.

Man on Street: "Do you have any naked virtualizations of your wife?"

Husband: "No!"

Man on Street: "Wanna see one?"

^^^^ Michael Palin in a flat cap, nudge nudge wink wink

There has to be a reasonable opportunity for free expression (stripping is considered a form of protected speech), which generally means that a certain percentage of available land must be zoned to permit strip clubs (I'd be interested to know which areas these are in Boston). Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that land zoned for it will be used as such as municipalities can enact all sorts of other "safety" regulations that all but make the operation of strip clubs impossible.

I was always curious about this Hutch. So does that mean Weston (for example) has limited ability to prevent a adult video store or strip club from setting up shop (beyond the ability to bog the proprietor down in endless lawsuits/red tape)?

Back