AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

I'm not sure how I missed this - sorry if I'm restating what everyone knew to be obvious. The sheet of glass planned for the front pedestal section is actually the five story parking garage!

45stuart-thumb.jpg

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I'm not sure how I missed this - sorry if I'm restating what everyone knew to be obvious. The sheet of glass planned for the front pedestal section is actually the five story parking garage!

45stuart-thumb.jpg

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

And the Apartment Building lobby. No retail of any kind in the building. The Stuart Street frontage is tiny! (and they and the City are throwing La Grange Street under the bus. It is now a garage access alleyway.

Yes, the frontage is sad, regardless of the pretty lights.

Tremont on the Common Part Deux!

It's not any worse than what was there before which was a parking lot... It's also a tiny space. They don't have a lot of options for putting the garage ingress.

It's not any worse than what was there before which was a parking lot... It's also a tiny space. They don't have a lot of options for putting the garage ingress.

It is a shame that the garage entrance is located there, but it is a lot better than a parking lot, and I have to agree with meddlepal that there don't appear to be a lot of options, other than the Lovejoy Wharf option of eliminating the parking altogether. This appears to be the only realistic location for the parking entrance given the site configuration. At least they have tried to mitigate it with something interesting to divert attention from the perhaps necessary evil of parking access.

It is a shame that the garage entrance is located there, but it is a lot better than a parking lot, and I have to agree with meddlepal that there don't appear to be a lot of options, other than the Lovejoy Wharf option of eliminating the parking altogether. This appears to be the only realistic location for the parking entrance given the site configuration. At least they have tried to mitigate it with something interesting to divert attention from the perhaps necessary evil of parking access.

You are correct, we (on the IAG) and the BRA pushed them hard to find an alternative to the garage entrance, to allow a small Stuart Street retail or something. There was no way to make the traffic flow work from the back only (La Grange Street). Other properties are in the way of making La Grange fully two way.

You are correct, we (on the IAG) and the BRA pushed them hard to find an alternative to the garage entrance, to allow a small Stuart Street retail or something. There was no way to make the traffic flow work from the back only (La Grange Street). Other properties are in the way of making La Grange fully two way.

The bright side is that - at least along Stuart Street -the site is surrounded by retail uses - not the least of which is one of the most venerable restaurants in the city. When you consider the size of the actual Stuart Street frontage, the mix actually doesn't work all that badly. The stretch of of Stuart from Washington to Tremont is Pizza restaurant, Hostel lobby w coffee house/Citi Bank/vacant retail/Jacob Wirth, AVA Theater District Lobby/Carport, Bijou, Amazing (yes, I know lol), newish Asian restaurant.

Off topic: I'm thinking of taking my girl to Jacob Wirth's. What's the best stuff on their menu?

Off topic: I'm thinking of taking my girl to Jacob Wirth's. What's the best stuff on their menu?

Order the Beer with a Cheese and Bread platter -- used to drink a litre or two with some of their good bread and cheese

unfortunately, doesn't seem to be listed -- probably still available

otherwise these are good:

Sauerbraten
$22.25
Sweet N’ Sour Braised Beef Round Over Handmade Dill Spaetzel Topped with Fresh Ginger Snap Gravy and Red Cabbage.
Recommended Beer Selection Jake’s Special Dark

or if you are really desperate for Deutschland:

German Mixed Grill
$17.25
Grilled Smoked Bratwurst and Weisswurst Served Over German Potato Salad, Sauerkraut, and Red Cabbage.
Recommended Beer Selection Raddeberger

Jake's Special
$16.95
Beer Steamed Knockwurst and Bratwurst Over German Potato Salad and Sauerkraut with a Red Bitter-Sweet Beer Sauce
Recommended Beer Selection Sam Adams Boston Brick Red

Last edited:
this rendering looks different than any others i have seen so far but it is the most recent as of yet.

Are we sure this thing is under 300'? It certainly looks higher based on the newest render and floor count. I thought originally it was something like 312'? Still looks that tall to me.

Are we sure this thing is under 300'? It certainly looks higher based on the newest render and floor count. I thought originally it was something like 312'? Still looks that tall to me.

The latest version of the PNF still says 289 feet in total, 29 stories. Remember the lower 5 stories are garage, so are likely not as tall as the residential stories.

Given that the project is 29 stories, it would appear that 289 feet is the zoning height (i.e., the height to the top of the last occupiable floor). The actual height, including mechanical penthouse, could very well be 312 feet.

Given that the project is 29 stories, it would appear that 289 feet is the zoning height (i.e., the height to the top of the last occupiable floor). The actual height, including mechanical penthouse, could very well be 312 feet.

The BRA did encourage the developer to put a large mechanicals "topper" on the central portion. They were trying to break up the "buzz cut" effect that has happened with the W Hotel, Archstone Boston Common and the Kensington -- all the same height. It could very well top 300 then with the large "topper"

Why not just go with a few more floors for extra height then instead of an exaggerated crown? Guess that's too rational.

Why not just go with a few more floors for extra height then instead of an exaggerated crown? Guess that's too rational.

Floors that can be occupied will add to the zoning height of 289'. MEP/the crown is not included in the measurements. It's a nimby-mitigation/trickery tactic for adding height.

You can go to a meeting and say this building is only 289' and then add a 30' crown to boost its height, compared to going to a meeting saying I have a 320' building and have everyone freak the f out because it's over 300'.

It's a nimby-mitigation/trickery tactic for adding height.

I know I was just being rhetorical. It's unfortunate there aren't enough adults in the room to have a mature discussion in the first place instead of performing magic shows to keep the kiddies from throwing fits.

Back