AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

I would imagine there's got to be some sort of OSHA investigation before it can reopen. Not sure how long that'll last, but I'd assume a couple weeks, bare minimum.

I predict a couple of months....esp. if the Feds are involved. Good thing there were no fatalities...otherwise....

That steel decking is just stay-in-place forms. They're meant to hold the rebar and concrete. Once the concrete cures, that's where the real structural support comes from. I'm stunned that someone was stupid enough to put heavy loads on those forms. I've walked them on bridge decks before and they feel paper thin.

That steel decking is just stay-in-place forms. They're meant to hold the rebar and concrete. Once the concrete cures, that's where the real structural support comes from. I'm stunned that someone was stupid enough to put heavy loads on those forms. I've walked them on bridge decks before and they feel paper thin.

So ultimately, who takes on the liability for the injuries, delays, material costs, etc.? As the developer, will this end up costing AvalonBay, or will it fall on JMA and/or their subcontractors?

Wherever the paper trail of work orders lead.....
The GC (or CM) if there is one would be coordinating all the where's and why's typically.

If they directed anyone to put all that steel where it didn't belong, it'd be squarely on them.

There are of course safety "officers" walking around, and people ensuring OSHA rules are being followed. Someone should really have noticed.

My guess would be some shared blame after a lot of finger pointing. Did the laborers stack it or the iron workers? Did JMA tell them to, and why didn't they object?

Thankfully no deaths, or the litigation would get real ugly. Someones insurance policy will get cashed on this one though, and maybe some contingency monies. Not sure if there are any penalties in place for not finishing by any certain dates, but that's also a possibility.

Looking at the Ink Block construction cam this morning, there seems to be a lot of crane movement this morning. Hope that is a good sign that things are restarting.

And FYI...steel started this morning on the third building of Ink Block, the apartment building next to Whole Foods. It's amazing how many vertical posts they can get up in such a short time. That was a bare foundation at 7 a.m. this morning.

Hopefully, issues will be resolved, the damaged areas repaired & the construction will continue sometime soon.

It HAS to, or otherwise, it'll start to go over budget, costing more to build it than was originally anticipated. :eek:

Just walked by the site. I can report that work has definitely resumed. The core jumped this morning (up to floor 25 or 26 I think) and the metal floor plates have been installed on all of the 12th floor except the spot where the accident occurred.

As for that spot, it appears floor decking has been replaced on floors 7, 8, 9, and most of 10. The damaged steel has been cut out of floors 11 and 12. It looks like new horizontal steel members and floor decking have been staged in the ground below the spot. Perhaps with nice weather forecasted for the weekend, we'll see some iron workers out this weekend finishing off the repairs and we'll be back to where we were on March 20 (plus a core jump) on Monday.

13658778123_251c80db6e_b.jpg

13659099714_4e39f0b660_b.jpg

I have a friend who lives in the Kensington, which has some stellar views of this project going up:

Also, a view from Beacon Hill:

Those r nice views...question is the Kensington pool open to the public

so davem if i typed fasadectoplasms r real buildings ur head wood explode

?

Is the Kensington pool going to have tanning beds because of the shadows?

Great to hear that the construction has resumed on this building!

Reminiscent of the accident that occurred at the World Trade Center at Tower 4, when a steel beam let go from a hoisting crane & crashed to the flatbed truck on the ground that carried it to the construction site!

Back