AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

13200720705_34e6452c84_b.jpg

god i hope the cladding on this is better than the rest of what we have been getting lately.

Poke (this is a little old; I'm sure the core is higher by now)

Troubling news out of this site this morning. Twitter has contradicting reports or 1 or 2 workers trapped, but no word on confirmed injuries.

There's talk on twitter about a crane collapse, but I checked the ink block construction cam and - although partially obscured by fog - it appears the crane is in still intact.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/construction-accident-reported-in-boston/25068090

UPDATE: BFD Twitter says 2 workers transported offsite for non-life threatening injuries. Fire department says a section of floor plates collapsed from "the floor of 12, roof of floor 11 and down through floor 5."

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/crane-plunges-through-floors-new-chinatown

Last edited:
^It wouldn't surprise me, they have been moving at a very fast pace on this development. I'm sure there will be some sort of official report/cause listed, however, so I'll wait until it's announced. Thank heavens no one was killed.

Thanks for the picture, Shepard, it's actually a bit terrifying to see those metal sheets torn to bits like that.

Thanks for the picture, Shepard, it's actually a bit terrifying to see those metal sheets torn to bits like that.

If the beam started falling 60 feet above the 12th floor it would have been going over 40mph before it hit. At 120 feet it would have been going over 60mph. Considering one of those beams weighs as much as a car, I'm not surprised that it tore through those thin sheets so easily.

I drove by on Tremont right after this got called in. I didn't hear any noise, but there were police on foot running towards the site, cop cars driving the wrong way on Tremont, and lots of ambulances and fire engines rushing to the area. Scary stuff.

Good lord, thankfully no one was killed. Let's hope those who were injured aren't left with anything permanent.

Is this expected to cause any (longer term) delays or threaten the structural integrity of the tower?

Is this expected to cause any (longer term) delays or threaten the structural integrity of the tower?

I'd say not substantially. It's just the flimsy steel decking. They'll need to cut out all the damaged deck and then patch up the hole with new decking.

Yea that doesn't look good.. hopefully thats on one of the upper floors so it doesn't turn into a long costly repair

Back