AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

I'm intrigued by this one. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm getting dizzy.

Can someone nail this one down once and for all?

Won't somebody please check the renders?

11620818353_bc50a4f1c1_h.jpg

First off, does anyone actually believe that Avalonbay, generic developer of generic apartment blocks across the country, even knows what crenelation is? Or that they would show any artistic leanings and use such a feature here in 2014?

Second, that slight variation up top is the result of the glass/spandrels being set inwards from the precast panels. Add in some exaggerated perspective angling and you get what you see here.

I'm intrigued by this one. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Me too! Never for a second have I thought it would be a masterpiece but I like the contrasting strong verticals and horizontals. I think this is one where from some angles it'll be nasty (the LaGrange side) and then from others it'll be really sharp.

I think this is one where from some angles it'll be nasty (the LaGrange side) and then from others it'll be really sharp.

I noticed from Southie today (Dorchester and Old Colony Avenue area) that the contrast between the vertical and horizontal elements really do result in it looking like two buildings from that angle. So at least some of the design intent is working.

Sorry, no picture -- I was driving.

This project is awesome! I love that the garage is understated enough and hidden well enough that it doesn't detract from the street experience of this building. Looks better everyday.

I quite like how this one's turning out. I look forward to seeing the street level treatment on Stuart.

I like how this ones turning out too. But why does it seem that (almost) every new project has roughly the same whitish colored or off-white precast panels for exterior walls? Is this the only color that could pass approvals in their respective neighborhoods? I wish more projects would bring some color

Given the dominance of darker and/or browner hues in our skyline, I'm okay with the current number of lighter-colored projects going up. That's not to say there isn't a saturation point- there certainly is- but these projects are, in a way, adding color for the time being.

That said, I too would like to see some more exciting hues around town.

I don't know why there have been so many lighter panels around lately, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they were less expensive.

It's not bad, I just wish the panels were something better quality. It looks good from far, but up close its meh. Imagine how great it would look if it was white brick, or some kind of stone.

I've got to disagree with you dshoost88; I think the garage is way too blatantly obvious. For a bit more money they could have had the windows continue down instead of concrete and open void. Same criticism as above: just a bit more money and it could have been much better.

I've got to disagree with you dshoost88; I think the garage is way too blatantly obvious. For a bit more money they could have had the windows continue down instead of concrete and open void.

I agree. Since they'll be walking by it everyday, the strippers need something of higher architectural caliber to appreciate when they're going to work each day.

It's not bad, I just wish the panels were something better quality. It looks good from far, but up close its meh. Imagine how great it would look if it was white brick, or some kind of stone.

I've got to disagree with you dshoost88; I think the garage is way too blatantly obvious. For a bit more money they could have had the windows continue down instead of concrete and open void. Same criticism as above: just a bit more money and it could have been much better.

The Troy in SOWA is using a more heavily textured precast panel. Does anyone know how much more expensive that treatment is than the boring, smooth precast on the Kensington or Ava (Avalon Bay)?

In my opinion the significant texture looks much more interesting up close and from afar.

So at what point does something become 'neighbourhood character'? I mean, aside from being home to delicious hot pot, dumpling, and bubble tea establishments, it seems that Chinatown has become home to a couple of illustrious open-faced parking garages, including this lovely renovation on Beach St, the back of 660 Washington, and - my all-time favourite - this little number on Lincoln St. Surely 45 Stuart is just contributing to the character of the neighbourhood...

This sums up my feelings as well. As the glass rises it looks slightly better, but the quality of the paneling leaves a lot to be desired. The glass isn't great either.

On the rendering, it looked like there was a higher glass : panel ratio, but it's turning out to be less than what I hoped for.

Back