AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

15274040995_c41ba17e85_b.jpg

15273654782_3938cf122d_b.jpg

15274025365_0cc37e10c3_b.jpg

15270905441_9d35d08ab9_b.jpg

Couldn't agree more. The facade pattern had the potential to be very gimmicky, but I don't think it is at all. It's different and interesting in a great way.

Agreed. So many projects have had heavy vertical lines recently--albeit of the randomized variety--that while this one has those too, there are those clean horizontal breaks every three floors that keep the randomness in check and somehow really work.

I also like this building. I think some of the criticisms about the panels, color, etc. are well-taken but I also believe that we're still getting used to, in the downtown area at least, the juxtaposition of lots of large residential buildings being sandwiched into odd-shaped lots in areas of downtown that we were used to viewing as more intimate and smaller-scaled. Eventually we'll get used to seeing the streetscapes and skyline from the newly created perspectives these projects are offering. Perhaps even I will get used to, and maybe appreciate more, the black frames and dark windows of Hayward Place in the context of lower Wash. St.

15087567740_3f2cae8f33_c.jpg

Visual chaos. Or maybe schizophrenic architecture, without a local cue or reference. The strong horizontal plane behind Jacob Wirth's does its best to pretend the landmark doesn't exist. Thankfully, you won't be able to see it from the north sidewalk.

I'm interested to see how this "glass curtain" in the front of the building is going to end up. Will be quite a contrast withe Jacob Wirth building right next to it.

15087567740_3f2cae8f33_c.jpg

Visual chaos. Or maybe schizophrenic architecture, without a local cue or reference. The strong horizontal plane behind Jacob Wirth's does its best to pretend the landmark doesn't exist. Thankfully, you won't be able to see it from the north sidewalk.
I like the aesthetic jumble and the scale differences. Makes for a more interesting block than it would be otherwise.

This building looks like a 1960's New York skyscraper t-boned a 1980's El Paso skyscraper.

It reminds me of 101 Federal Street for some reason.

a few years ago the towers you wd see in this view were One Financial ctr and the Federal reserve building

^I think it's the angle of sunlight, but the last photo you posted is as much as I've ever seen this look like two separate buildings.

I thought the same thing, one of Kz1000ps makes it look that way too!

Back