Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Thinking about it I cant remember the last time a tower was built that matched the initial proposal. Or a tower that is approved that did either. 121 seaport maybe? 888 Boylston was changed, avalon exeter slightly, td garden towers changed and scaled, garden garage tower went from 2 towers to 1, 111 federal, 45 stuart, 1 dalton, copley height was increased and the tower was rotated, millennium tower is 100% different than the proposal, dainty dot tower is completely different, and the list goes on...... Theres probably less than a 10% chance that if this is ever built it looks like this. It could be close though.

I swear it's almost like they didn't clad the east side of the garage so they could say they gave into BDC commission demands later on.

Speaking from the standpoint of smart growth and urban design, this is pretty slick.

But I must echo the misgivings about the design ethos we see here. The office building, "edgy" and "fresh" by Boston standards, calls to mind a childish imitation of a Bjarke Ingels building. Perhaps Pelli Clarke Pelli has their interns dumpster diving at BIG's headquarters. The residential buildings are massing models, their proportions not dissimilar from the tallest building at Charles River Park; predictable gestures -- shimmering glass and roof-top parkscaping -- try to fast forward them to 2016.

I wonder what Ned Flaherty is doing right now...

Like I was saying theres is almost no chance that these end up as shown here. Reviews, Nimbys, redesigns, time, all of these things will sort it out into what it eventually becomes.

Yes, I'd hold off on all the auto fellating going on in this thread.

I'll be shocked if this is what we end up with due to the neighborhood. That said, I think the design is crap too... but anything is better than the current station and garage.

Thinking about it, I'm really not a fan of this design. Just about every design imaginable will improve the third world station and soul crushing parking garage. I think that the twisted building would look so much better if it was more balanced. I like the staggered floor layout, I just dislike how they are only on half the building. I think it would work better if there was a taller building directly abutting it and not the station. I am disappointed with Pelli on this one which is a shame because I typically love just about everything they do.

also I have a feeling that this design is not going to age well. Not sure why I'm feeling that, but in 30ish years, it will look worse than the Westin

Upon unsober reflection, I like it.
Between this and the Simon tower it will be a glamorous location.
Yeah the Copley Place cladding has more skid marks than a roller coaster full of underpants, but this gives the locale an exciting crossroads kind of feeling.

i like copley place. and the westin. it's from the '80s and it looks like it's from that time period. why/how is it a positive to pretend that your city didn't exist during an aesthetic phase which -- for now -- isn't in favor? it's fine. it's like having nakatomi plaza (albeit much shorter) in copley.

two-world-trade-center-big-04-838x1024.jpg

i like copley place. and the westin. it's from the '80s and it looks like it's from that time period. why/how is it a positive to pretend that your city didn't exist during an aesthetic phase which -- for now -- isn't in favor? it's fine. it's like having nakatomi plaza (albeit much shorter) in copley.

^ Yippie-ki-yay?

I actually like this waaay more than WTC 2 - it feels balanced while still being visually interesting. WTC 2 seems like it's eschewing tasteful design to drive some 'artistic discomfort' through asymmetric stacking.

I agree with some that at least one of the buildings should be taller to break the awkward Back Bay tower plateau. The office tower in particular should be able to go another 8 or 12 floors taller.

I like the copley westin too its the marriott that looks like a bag of ass imo.

So they're completely doing away with the busway? Where will the 39 bus load and unload?

EDIT: Searched the PNF and all it says is "Station East Parcel is located on the existing bus drop-off and involves the relocation of the drop-off function to an off-site location, as well as the removal of the existing MBTA ventilation tower in order to construct a new 34-story building..."

I wonder if the "off-site location" is Copley Square?

I would assume at a reserved space on the curb. That information is probably buried somewhere in the pnf if you want to search for it.

I really like the height, scale, density, and density.

I don't see NIMBYS being a problem actually. The city wants this, and it is going to fix the station.

With this, Copley Tower under construction, and JHT3 and 40 Trinity approved, the cluster is going to look very good.

I really like the height, scale, density, and density.

I don't see NIMBYS being a problem actually. The city wants this, and it is going to fix the station.

Yes. I don't see what NIMBYS could complain about when this proposal sits in the shadows of the tallest building in New England.

The nimbys from their $3M brownstones complain about affordable housing...I agree but you don't get it in back bay Copley...put it down the street, melnea cass, down around southern red line stops.

Build it.

Back