Battery Wharf | North End | Waterfront

Re: Battery Wharf

img0612jq3.jpg
What's in the curved part?

seems like the curved part almost has to be a restaurant space ...

img0603lt4.jpg

It's amazing how an irregular footprint can have such a wonderful impact on the overall look of a building.
If this development had all the same details but sat on square lots we would all be crying about how dull it was.

I realize the point you're trying to make Statler, but as long as it has that excellent brickwork then I don't care what shape its footprint takes on.

It's not cutting edge, but it's what is needed for that space. I think it's a project well done.

Battery Wharf June 3.
P1020084.jpg

[/img]

I got a question for the people out there regarding the structural engineering of the building. How well can that warf take a beating from the harbor, I mean like during a real bad storm or hurricane? It looks sturdy and all I just don't know. Also would storm surge during a hurricane rise to the level of the dock?

ps I like this building a lot

I am a big fan. I wouldn't mind something like this popping up on some part of Portland's waterfront.

I got a question for the people out there regarding the structural engineering of the building. How well can that warf take a beating from the harbor, I mean like during a real bad storm or hurricane? It looks sturdy and all I just don't know. Also would storm surge during a hurricane rise to the level of the dock?

ps I like this building a lot

4.3 WAVE ACTION

The inner Boston Harbor is somewhat protected by Deer Island to the north and east and Long Island to the southeast. Numerous other smaller islands also provide some shelter from the open bay/ocean wave energy. However, easterly winds and seas will cause wave related problems. Most of the lower inner harbor is exposed to the east and vessels in this area, unless berthed at well protected piers, will experience high wind waves. While the piers and wharves of Boston have generally been constructed to handle the normal 9-10 ft tidal range, some local flooding is experienced during extreme tide conditions. In the event of a storm passage at high astronomical tide, waterfront areas would be exposed to wave action. Water levels of 1 1/2 ft over the piers have been recorded at the Naval Shipyard.
4.4 STORM SURGE AND TIDES

Storm surge during hurricanes generally has not been a major problem for the Boston Harbor area. The highest surge value on record is the 3.9 ft that occurred with the September 1944 hurricane (Harris, 1963). The 1954 hurricanes, Carol and Edna, produced 3.6 and 3.2 ft surge heights. With a normal tidal range of 9 to 10 ft. surge heights of 2-4 ft will generally not be of great concern. Of course, a 4 ft surge at extreme high tide (range of about 14 ft at Boston) would cause considerable flooding; when this was topped by wind waves from the east, further problems would develop. A compounding adverse effect of surge and easterly wind waves is the restriction of the outflow from the various rivers that flow into and form the inner harbor. Such a restriction further increases the flood problem along the lower portions of the rivers, which usually experience increased flow during a hurricane passage as a result of heavy precipitation.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/~cannon/tr8203nc/boston/text/sect4.htm

I'm thinking that they are probably still good at 14' although they might have to sandbag doorsills. Battery Wharf is quite well protected from high waves.

Last time I saw it from the water side during early SeptemberI was very impressed -- it looks as if it belongs on a Wharf. In fact I think that offers the 2nd best view of a new building from the waterside -- just next to Rowe's Wharf

I'm looking forward to taking some walks out there to see it from the street side as soon as the spring finally sprungs

Cabin Fever has definitely set in

Westy

Battery Wharf (March 30)

P1030338.jpg

P1030339.jpg

P1030340.jpg

It was too friggin cold to walk out to the water side.

Thanks for the pics, this is turning out to be a very nice looking development!

I can't wait for this one to finish up and for them to open the walkways.

Progress as of April 5:

4-5-08Avenir1006.jpg

4-5-08Avenir1008.jpg

There's more here, but those are the two best shots.

I really like this project. It was tough to get any good shots of the pier on the water side, but it looked very nice from what I saw.

I'm waiting for the photo postings I feel are coming....I was picking my son up from a friends place at Burroughs Wharf this evening when 3 guys armed with cameras were converging on the Battery Wharf construction site and at least one made his way through the fencing.....I can only assume they were ArchBostonians, as they had way to much determination to be tourists.

They've opened the site up! Well, about 80% of it. Having been through it now, all I can say is this is an amazingly good development, and it gets my nod for Best New Project of 2008.

The one negative I've seen so far is what you'll see in the first two pics.. the windows on the corner of this fairly prominent building. They don't match with what's used everywhere else, and they remind me of what you'd see on an early-1950s public housing project. Rather uninspired..

(get ready for a ton of pics)

img5322uz7.jpg

img5324pd1.jpg

img5327eg3.jpg

img5329pz5.jpg

img5338ft2.jpg

img5337ck5.jpg

img5340rv6.jpg

img5325uw8.jpg

img5326kp2.jpg

img5343ph0.jpg

img5342wx5.jpg

img5346xl4.jpg

img5345oh4.jpg

img5344us7.jpg

img5349dh7.jpg

img5347pc4.jpg

img5348fo0.jpg

img5354yq9.jpg

img5355qc2.jpg

img5353wo6.jpg

img5357je9.jpg

img5358as6.jpg

img5359zm9.jpg

img5360qu3.jpg

the view to the north

img5362ro3.jpg

img5363wh4.jpg

still under construction

img5365nd8.jpg

img5364ks8.jpg

sublime

img5367qy2.jpg

Kz, you're the man. Thanks for all the updates.

Here are a few of Battery Wharf from a different angle:

battery_wharf_1.jpg

battery_wharf_4.jpg

battery_wharf_x.jpg

Bravo guys! Why can't all developments in this town be so nice?

Wow. Love the elegant roofline. It really does fit nicely on the wharf.

Back