Battery Wharf | North End | Waterfront

Re: Battery Wharf

Looks pretty nice. My favorite thing about the whole project are those little strips of rough limestone they use as trim. It's the type of thing you don't see anymore.

Yep, and unlike a lot of PoMo-era projects that attempted to include string courses, here they use actual rough face stone, not just brick in a different color. It's stuff like that that puts this development over the top for me.

Briv, those photos are great! They're the perfect foil to all my close up shots. Thanks.

Terrific development!

Maybe there should be an archBoston awards just so we can give it to this project.

Archboston awards...love that idea. Simple enough to do with a poll

why would this be Theran's last. it seems like he has done a quality job in every way

Does anyone know the purpose of the "glass bubble" looking object in the photos? I find it interesting, and somewhat random.

I think the glass bubble might allow light down to the garage...but I could be totally wrong.

Skylight for the parking garage is my guess, too.

yes Ron, if you check out Battery Wharf's web site (google it) you can see something about the atrium skylight art and the renderings look very much like that window that we see.

The artwork is inspired by National Geographic underwater photographer David
Doubilet - just another reason that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project.

Attention to detail matters! Mr. Theran needs to take Joe Fallon on a tour of this property to help drive this point home.

it gets my nod for Best New Project of 2008

Intriguing idea: maybe the forum should vote on this annually and present some sort of award to the developers/architects/whatever?

Ed: oops, didn't see this has been proposed above. Seconded! But maybe some more deliberation on some of the other new projects?

kz, thanks for the bounty of pics on this project and elsewhere.

From ablarc's 22 Thesis:

1. intimate space

Seems like it

2. diversity through small-increment development by different owners

Nope

3. boldly-conceived infrastructure (Yeah, canals and landfill !)

Actually, the opposite was at work here.
Had they filled in the space between the piers the result would not have been nearly as interesting.

4. buildings that touch

Yes

5. background buildings --if the paradigm is right.

???

6. roof forms and materials as unifiers

Yes

7. casually varied relationships between buildings (NOT defined by uniformizing rigidities of zoning)

???

8. small, irregular lots

Yes

9. a central focus or main square with a monument or two

???

10. architecture that's not hidebound with prissy strictures against frank revivalism ("We can't do that, it was done a hundred years ago.")

Yes

11. if the streetscape is sound, interesting and pleasant to look at, you don't need many trees. They take up room and divert from the task at hand

Yes

12 hundreds of small buildings give you more places than a few dozen big ones

???

13. if you build a great place you'll make money; you don't have to start with current market wisdom

???

14. make every square inch count

Yes

15 build in the hierachy; coherence will follow (put the most important things in the center)

???

16. bold topographic ideas like landfill and canals (you make the former with what you excavate to make the latter)

See #3

17. don't be afraid to design for the rich. The best things only the rich can afford (Back Bay, Beacon Hill --then and now. The rest of us visit to get our jollies.)

Oh god yes.

18. pint-sized streets:

Well, no streets, but narrow paths.

19. an intimately-scaled water's edge

Indeed

20. don't be afraid to design pretty, and don't design for your colleagues

Yes

21. don't be afraid to risk a little hokeyness

Not too much hokeyness, that I can see.

I'll fill in some of the ??? answers...

5. background buildings --if the paradigm is right.

Yes, although they work equally well as foreground, please-look-at-my-details buildings

7. casually varied relationships between buildings (NOT defined by uniformizing rigidities of zoning)

Yes. Varied sizes, from blockbusting to downright cute, as well as varied heights (between two and seven stories)

9. a central focus or main square with a monument or two

Yes. There's the main plaza by the round podium (was still u/c when I took the photos) as well as the garden-plaza and domed skylight down at the waterfront

12 hundreds of small buildings give you more places than a few dozen big ones

Not Applicable

15 build in the hierachy; coherence will follow (put the most important things in the center)

I'd say the design is very coherent-logical, although it's interesting to note that the hierarchy of the central road between vehicle and pedestrian is distinctly indistinct

Last edited:

^^ Thanks kz1000ps.

I was hoping someone would do that.

kz, thanks for the great pics. Finally, a development that turns out better than its promotional renderings. Way better, to my mind. This gets my vote for 08.

Back