Biking in Boston

It probably takes a week or more to remove all of the Hubway stations. (It will take even longer as the system expands.) You don't always get a week's warning before a major December snowstorm.

It probably takes a week or more to remove all of the Hubway stations. (It will take even longer as the system expands.) You don't always get a week's warning before a major December snowstorm.

It shouldnt be so hard. Begin by removing the least used at the first sign of winter (ie, a system developing in Canada). Then, as you get the 7 day update, close the system, and remove the stations in the way of plows. Worst case, some stations that arent in the way get buried for a few days.

I think its better than missing two months of perfectly useful bike time.

4th Annual Boston Bike Update
with Nicole Freedman, Director of Boston Bikes, City of Boston

Tuesday, February 28

5:45- 6:15 PM Transportation Community Showcase
-come learn what all the different community groups are doing to make Boston a world-class bicycling city
6:15- 7:30 PM Presentation (6:15 Mayor Menino, 6:30 Nicole Freedman)
7:30- 8:30 PM Q&A/Discussion

@ Boston Public Library, Rabb Lecture Hall, 700 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116
Hosted by LivableStreets Alliance
Free and open to the public

Re: Best New Development of 2011

Atlantic Wharf!!! By a landslide for me!!! Too bad the bicycle thing wasn't in "Worst New Developments". I, for one, absolutely cannot stand the bikers flying down the roads and sidewalks, disregarding general traffic laws, and just being a nuisance to the 99% of us who walk or drive. I witnessed a guy the other day weaving through traffic between lanes, flipping somebody off, and running a red light. The only adequate defense you could have for riding a bicycle is that you are either under 16, or are not eligible to drive for whatever reason. (I will just assume that all adult bicyclists had their licenses taken away for drunk driving, which also helps explain why they continue to be assholes on the road)

HAHAHA....if that was 9 am at Charles Circle, it was me.

And for the record, i bike because cars are for cattle

The only adequate defense you could have for riding a bicycle is that you are either under 16, or are not eligible to drive for whatever reason. (I will just assume that all adult bicyclists had their licenses taken away for drunk driving, which also helps explain why they continue to be assholes on the road)

Oh grandpa, get off the internet and take your pills!

The only adequate defense you could have for riding a bicycle is that you are either under 16, or are not eligible to drive for whatever reason. (I will just assume that all adult bicyclists had their licenses taken away for drunk driving, which also helps explain why they continue to be assholes on the road)

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. So what is it -- are you drunk/high, or are you just trying to troll us?

Having biked roundtrip from Davis Square to the Westin Waterfront hotel each of the past three days, I highly resent this statement. That's a 25-30 minute trip by bike, far longer by any other means of transportation.

Yeah, I live in the city (clearly DHZ doesn't) and don't own a car, so that leaves me with two options to get around (not including walking). Say I want to go to Copley Square...if I take the T it's an hour minimum; by bike it's 20 minutes.

Atlantic Wharf!!! By a landslide for me!!! Too bad the bicycle thing wasn't in "Worst New Developments". I, for one, absolutely cannot stand the bikers flying down the roads and sidewalks, disregarding general traffic laws, and just being a nuisance to the 99% of us who walk or drive. I witnessed a guy the other day weaving through traffic between lanes, flipping somebody off, and running a red light. The only adequate defense you could have for riding a bicycle is that you are either under 16, or are not eligible to drive for whatever reason. (I will just assume that all adult bicyclists had their licenses taken away for drunk driving, which also helps explain why they continue to be assholes on the road)

Something tells me there aren't many militant cyclists on Hubway (which could not have been the source of your misfortune since it's been packed up for the season).

I saw a gang of punk kids on trick bikes get into a fight and arrested by the Transit Police outside South Station Bus Terminal yesterday; I guess we should discredit Hubway because of that, too?

What is everyone's stance on lane separation with low objects on the ground? I've seen arguments going both ways. The ones I saw in Seville (low bumps) didn't seem as dangerous as some others that cities have used (often seen as fall hazards).

Seville, Spain:

2aj4a5x.jpg

4iy3t.jpg

Separation of all forms of traffic: auto/tram, bike, pedestrian. I snapped these quickly as we were walking. The little metal bumps had a picture of a bike.

I would not like to ride my bike down the middle of tram tracks as the first photo shows.

I would not like to ride my bike down the middle of tram tracks as the first photo shows.

Well you're not supposed to. The bike lane is off to the side where the guy in the foreground is riding.

Indeed. Kids, drunks, bums and assholes - the only people for whom bicycles are acceptable means of transportation.

....assholes - the only people for whom bicycles are acceptable means of transportation.

So you ride a bike? Funny, I've always pictured you driving a BMW or other Ayn Rand-approved cars.

In the burbs now but spent 5 years living in Davis Square and will return to the city after grad school. I used to walk about 3-10 miles a day, and as a pedestrian found the bikers annoying, as they would often fly up on me unannounced. Once I was walking home from a Red Sox game, and got hit crossing a one way street by a biker going the wrong direction. Now, I drive into the city probably 2-4 days a week, and find the bikers to be a complete nuisance at best. They act like they own the road, veer in front of you without warning, only obey traffic laws when they see fit (oh a red light, now I will be a pedestrian!) and just aren't fast enough to keep up with traffic when the streets aren't clogged. The worst are the rallies, where 1,000 of you get together and block the road to purposely be assholes. I have read up all about these rallies, and it happens in other cities too. Call my statements stupid if you want, but most people don't bike, and most people who don't bike don't like you.

PS go ahead and keep fighting me on this if you want. I enjoy it. Not too many things make me more contentious than being obstructed by a grown man on a bicycle. The few may make you look worse overall, but you should not be on a road unless you can keep up with the speed limit.

I think you have a problem with a particular kind of cyclists, not all cyclists...

you should not be on a road unless you can keep up with the speed limit.

So what you're saying is bikes have no place in the modern world.....too slow for cars, too fast for pedestrians, too much of nuisance for all. Got it.

Back