Biking in Boston

^^^Nope, not the same island, that island is being enlarged.

I see the new right turn lane now.

But instead of going straight, the buses have to curve left and make a hard right. Why? I have a feeling the bus time will be set to severely fuck over bus passengers. The design simply doesnt make sense.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2013/08/01/newton-should-link-into-hubway-bike-sharing-network/lLr3OONZBYd0DY1yzTFQdO/story.html

Bike sharing in Newton? Hubway down Heartbreak Hill

As somebody who bikes around Newton most days, here is my proposal for what a full build out in Newton would look like:

11ccxe0.png

Brighton and Brookline would need dozens more stations before this could be viable.

Porter SQ. cambridge somerville noticeably absent. there is a big hole up there for the amount of riders and bike infrastructure.

Porter SQ. cambridge somerville noticeably absent. there is a big hole up there for the amount of riders and bike infrastructure.

They probably figure everyone there owns a bike anyway haha.

not by bike ;)

But the frustrating thing in somerville is that there are holes. Yes the Porter Sq was put in a few weeks ago, but that north side of cambridge and Somerville have holes that they have very slowly filled in.

JP on the other hand has nothing. So you don't run into the problem where you want to hubway somewhere but there isn't a station. You dont even have the option and it sucks. But when they only put in a couple, you will want to be able to use it so much more than you actually can.

I love the bikes and system, I just have the common complaint that the roll out could go faster.

not by bike ;)

But the frustrating thing in somerville is that there are holes. Yes the Porter Sq was put in a few weeks ago, but that north side of cambridge and Somerville have holes that they have very slowly filled in.

JP on the other hand has nothing. So you don't run into the problem where you want to hubway somewhere but there isn't a station. You dont even have the option and it sucks. But when they only put in a couple, you will want to be able to use it so much more than you actually can.

I love the bikes and system, I just have the common complaint that the roll out could go faster.

I just wish they would focus on one neighborhood and make the system as dense as bike share systems have to be. It seems as if they are trying to get the most costumers by "serving" the largest area, without actually being of true "service" to most of them. Read: Columbia Point.

I just wish they would focus on one neighborhood and make the system as dense as bike share systems have to be. It seems as if they are trying to get the most costumers by "serving" the largest area, without actually being of true "service" to most of them. Read: Columbia Point.
Yeah, this. Cambridge/Somerville could use another 20 stations... or Brookline, Allston, etc.

I had this idea that stations in those supposedly "served" areas are too often full or empty because there aren't enough of them, so I did some super basic GIS analysis on availability here. It's not as terrible as I like to imagine, but there are some notable deficiencies.

This is an overall picture of a somewhat exaggerated case. Basically, anything that's not green has less than 70% overall "availability"—defined in this case as near stations having more than one bike and more than one dock available.
a_overall.jpg

Fantastic visualization piggiston! And my gut agrees that this feels right. I spend a lot of time in Kendall and East Cambridge and Hubway is often not usable.

Great visualization. That tells me two things:

1) In areas where there is a solid presence- kendall, Back Bay, downtown- it is a huge success and could stand to have even more capacity added.

2) In areas on the edge, the coverage is no where near dense enough for people to use the system they way they want/need- hence the lower utilization. Is there a person among us who thinks that if you drop more of these in Cambridge/Somerville or JP that we risk oversaturating?

Great visualization. That tells me two things:

1) In areas where there is a solid presence- kendall, Back Bay, downtown- it is a huge success and could stand to have even more capacity added.

2) In areas on the edge, the coverage is no where near dense enough for people to use the system they way they want/need- hence the lower utilization. Is there a person among us who thinks that if you drop more of these in Cambridge/Somerville or JP that we risk oversaturating?

RE your 2nd question: I think the map demonstrates that Hubway works along corridors where there is redundancy AND higher density, like the Griggs street Hubway stop in Allston or the Columbus/Mass Ave stop in the South End. There should certainly be more Hubway stations spaces frequently along the B, C, and E branches of the green line, as well as filling in the blanks along the Orange and Red lines. Cam/Som and JP neighborhoods are dense enough now and will grow denser later that I highly doubt Hubway runs any risk of over saturating.

It looks like a new Hubway station just went in at Binney and 6th St on the edge of Kendall Square and East Cambridge

Back