Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

The downside to those minuscule windows:

305065_10151424233053142_1769832190_n.jpg

Very substandard office spaces requiring constant artificial lighting and HVAC.

Thanks for the quick response!

The 'under the arches' shot is good and, yes, it will look even better come warm weather and finished lanscaping. I do like the apparent massive look of the pillars and arches. I was hoping that there would be ribbed vaults underneath, as some of the older buildings on campus have in their gothic porticos, but a flat ceiling with wooden beams is quite nice too.

Any shots from outside the arches?

This is a shot I took back in Oct. Not very good, but it may help you.

BC

Thank you BeeLine, it's better than any others I've seen.

Love the idea of arches connecting buildings like that. I hope BC uses more of them in future plans.

Any other shots of the arches -- clear of obstacles?

I want more of these, everywhere.

WOW.

Will only look better with a little aging, too, I'm sure.

WOW.

Will only look better with a little aging, too, I'm sure.

Agree. And how much of what is built today can we feel confident saying that about? 5% of new projects?

BRAVO.

Gorgeous design, executed brilliantly. Applause to the BC administration for shelling out the money, and the architect and builders for taking a revival work so seriously. Back in Missouri, our "White Campus" is all collegiate Gothic and undergoing a few renovations. I can only hope they turn out as well as this.

Amazing what can be done when the client truly wants a quality product.

It does look well crafted and artfully built so kudos to them for that.

Debbie Downer spoiler alert:
Mostly I get a sense of deja vu all over again. Been there, done that. Doesn't make we want to go in and explore because I know exactly what I'll find. No surprises here.

BTW: how much will the stone work add to tuition bills? Just wondering.

BTW: how much will the stone work add to tuition bills? Just wondering.

Did BC turn into a public school when I wasn't looking? Anyways, the answer is, "a lot less in the long run than shitty 'modern' materials that fail after 30 years and have to be replaced."

This is crazy. I keep looking for flaws, shortcuts, hints of cheapness and those little off-details that totally pull back the curtain on value engineering or poor design.

Alas [NWS]

This is crazy. I keep looking for flaws, shortcuts, hints of cheapness and those little off-details that totally pull back the curtain on value engineering or poor design.

Alas [NWS]

You won't find it. This is a true bearing wall construction. No short cuts here.

^ So does that mean they went alllll the way back to post-and-beam construction for the insides?!?

BeeLine,

Thank you for posting those excellent pictures! Indeed, if BC continues to build with such high quality I look forward to the next addition(s) to campus.

I've heard from inside sources that Carney Hall on Middle Campus is next slated for the wrecker's ball. In its place a dining hall, again in collegiate gothic. I imagine that the offices and occupants of Carney have vacated by now and are resettled in Stokes so it may not be long...

Completion of the dining hall will enable the demolition of McElroy and the building of another academic hall...a ways down the road, however.

All this building needs now is an acid-laced coating, ala Yale's Branford College.

Last edited:

Back