Boston Conservatory of Music | 132 Ipswich St | Fenway

Re: Fenway Area Redevelopment

^ What site is that?

Re: Fenway Area Redevelopment

Vanshnookenraggen or whoever: you moved the text to the proper thread but you didn't move the picture!

Re: Boston Conservatory of Music buys 132 Ipswich St

Shadows on passing traffic?

Tore down the vacant one-story on the corner?

I didn't move anything this time.

The site is zoned for eight-stories but they're only building three? Why is it being so underutilized? This is a total head-scratcher.

Look no further than the Red Sox. The Henry Gang probably put pressure on the city to make sure anything built here was short. They were the thugs (along with BU) who made sure the original Fenway Center proposal on it's original site right across from FP was not approved.

Last edited:

dafuq seriously that's way too short
Maybe they should just move out of Boston. Take their low-rises to Medford. Everett. Woburn.

Rule of thumb should be that if a college or university can't build at least 20 stories high, they need to move out of Boston. Turn the land over to owners who will pay the city a good amount of taxes on the property.

Maybe they should just move out of Boston. Take their low-rises to Medford. Everett. Woburn.

Rule of thumb should be that if a college or university can't build at least 20 stories high, they need to move out of Boston. Turn the land over to owners who will pay the city a good amount of taxes on the property.

Tell that to neighbors who hyperventilate at anything taller than two storeys.

FTR the plan is to return later to build to the permitted height. I hear they're overleveraged and in a corner because they couldn't renew a lease somewhere else. And, for a touch of gossip, rumor is they came to grief with Sox ownership, who refused to acknowledge any responsibility for the party wall.

Back down my rabbit hole now.

EDIT: clarification that my recollection is, what they're building now apparently is classrooms, and the taller element they'll prepare for later is dormitory. I haven't read the IMP since it was issued.

You know, I didn't reflect on your comment but now that I have, it does make a lot of sense.

I've always been a fan of our non-profits and preferential tax treatment, but you're right, they should build big and/or in some way that takes full advantage of their privilege. I'm being serious. Obv. a church is shaped like a church and the MFA is perhaps unique b/c of its uniqueness, but universities have no excuses.

bbfen, BCM has this project currently out for bid.
Description: orchestra rehearsal hall - dance and theater studios - music practice rooms - other academic support spaces - existing building will be demolished and new building will replace it.
Don't know whether this is a follow-on contract to a demolition/excavation contract, or a second building.

Moscow-University.jpg

A university building tall.

Also big. This time at Pitt. Unfortunatly, I don't think this and "over leveraged" are compatible.

414px-Cathedral_of_Learning_stitch_1.jpg

8598898771_f274b0456a_b.jpg

Dirt, and lots of it. From today:

Is it me or does the BoCo logo look like Texas?

It does look a bit like Texas.

8733421009_8350c16ac3_b.jpg

8734539380_7af803ca64_b.jpg

I hadn't seen that rendering before... not promising.

Back