Boston Conservatory of Music | 132 Ipswich St | Fenway

Re: Boston Conservatory of Music buys 132 Ipswich St

http://www.bhplus.com/#s=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=9&a=6&at=0

click park street dorm. Not sure what this project is, but that looks like this building next door.

Interesting! It definitely is the neighboring site. The building appears to be attached to this one by a skybridge on the third floor. I like how they have two options too. I pray that the first one is the one that gets built. The second with the brick is awful and a VE mess.

Park Street?

13751969723_b48a178913_b.jpg

13751947265_7851870fa2_b.jpg

13751957933_024556e0ee_b.jpg

13751937245_b088b5867d_b.jpg

13751933895_f137a56acd_b.jpg

14013508220_ffb9062ff3_b.jpg

14013542267_fa91d001ef_b.jpg

That's...just...awful...

Really? I kind of like it, actually.

Funny, I hadn't even considered forming an opinion yet since I guess I don't see much here worth thinking over. It's just there.

Awful. Precast panels of faux brick.
I realize the lack of windows might be due to performance space, but still...
Funny, I hadn't even considered forming an opinion yet since I guess I don't see much here worth thinking over. It's just there.
I didn't see much worth thinking over with the previous garage. The garage was "just there." But someone spent the money to tear that garage down and put up a building that is (apparently) no better. Look at the façade. Do you have any expectation that the street level interaction will be better than the garage? So we tore down a 3 story garage to build a 3 story bunker that will be here for another 40 (50, 60?) years. Missed opportunity.

Funny, I expected to hate this. I thought the renderings were underwhelming. Could this be an example of the finished product surpassing the pictures? If only by a hair? I understand the complaint that an opportunity has been missed. Perhaps. But thus far I don't hate this the way I thought I might. We'll see.

>>Awful. Precast panels of faux brick.

I take faux brick over grey or beige alucobond any day. And that seems to be the only alternative these days.

I dunno. I keep looking at the row houses behind it and sighing wistfully.

It has the air of a bygone era...not a good one. This is the architecture of state courts, community colleges, public schools, and the like, from the 70s and 80s. This looks spun off from UMass Boston, Wareham District Court, or Middlesex Comm College in Lowell to name a few.

Worse buildings out there, sure. Is beige panelling and silver alucobond our only alternative? I don't know, maybe it is these days. It just feels like a huge missed opportunity to become a landmark, and use the location as a billboard for the school. That corner was forgettable before, and will remain that way.

But someone spent the money to tear that garage down and put up a building that is (apparently) no better.

The constant stream of kids coming and going all day and night instantly makes this preferable to the garage. Maybe you were hoping for a standout facade and a ground floor cafe or something but the program from day one was classrooms and rehearsal spaces, therefore I'm not surprised by what I see here. And for a teeny tiny school like BoCo (750 kids and a paltry ~$10mm endowment) I think they put up what they needed to put up.

Aesthetically, yeah it comes dangerously close to looking like a 1970s institutional product, but I also see some sleekness going on that makes it look of higher quality than anything of that era could muster. And by nightfall that glass staircase should have a bit of a Berklee 160-like lantern effect on the area. I give it a 3 out of 5.

I don't think it looks bad. It's just not terribly interesting.

In Boston, that means it is a huge success.

Not too shabby. The dorm that is planned to be next to/attached by skybridge to it should be much more interesting.

The brick is indeed contextual for the area, though unabashedly "there" in its panels and seams.

Not too shabby. The dorm that is planned to be next to/attached by skybridge to it should be much more interesting.

The brick is indeed contextual for the area, though unabashedly "there" in its panels and seams.

is there a rendering for this dorm?

Back