Boston Department Store Blog

Hello, All!!!
Happy October!
Today the blog presents....an idea for the present.
You all know me as the guy who "dwells" in Boston's retro past....well, today some fresh ideas from Ms. Elizabeth Fuller of the University of Notre Dame.

She presents her ideas for the Filene's site.

Thank you, Elizabeth for sharing your creativity and talent with us all!!

Charles:rolleyes:

http://shoppingdaysinretroboston.blogspot.com/

I absolutely love the Summer St Basement/subway entrance pic. Amazing.

I also love the shopping concourse pic with all the < Filene's Jordan's > signs too!

Do you happen to have any more pix of the shopping concourse in general?

Hello, datadyne007

Thanks for the comment.....glad you enjoyed the photos!!!

I shall look for more photos....Love to please the readers!!!!:rolleyes:

Hello, All!!!

After a few emails about the recent news, I did my own retro Boston tribute to....The Basement!!

Come and enjoy a look back at a wonderful, wild place to shop....Filene's Basement

Many photos, ads and other odds and ends!!!!

Hello, All!!!!

Merry, Merry!!!!!!!!!

The December update is now up on the blog and it is a HUGE collection of ads, articles, photos and other goodies all selected from Xmas 1956 :cool:

The ads are an assortment from the BIG Boston stores to smaller ones...a great variety of holiday shopping venues from the past to see.

Plus.....a holiday challenge or two!! Come and join in!!

Hello!

When you say there were seven department stores, what are they? I see Jordan's, Filene's, Gilchrist, Kennedy's, RH White, Raymond's ... but then I'm not sure whether you consider the seventh one to be WT Grant, Slattery's, Conrad's, Chandler's, RH Stearns, or something else.

Hey, Ron!! Thanks for asking. R.H. Stearn's would be one of the seven in the 1956 grouping.

So the list of deparment stores of downtown Boston in that year would be:
Jordan's, Gilchrist, Filene's, Raymond's, White's, Kennedy's and Stearn's.

The BIG ones in downtown with full "complete" lines that included large appliances, furniture, tools, auto supplies, etc. would have been:
Jordan's, Gilchrist, Raymond's, White's.

Hope that helps:)

Charles:)

Hello, All!!!!

Merry, Merry!!!!!!!!!

The December update is now up on the blog and it is a HUGE collection of ads, articles, photos and other goodies all selected from Xmas 1956 :cool:

The ads are an assortment from the BIG Boston stores to smaller ones...a great variety of holiday shopping venues from the past to see.

wow - since Filene's is not on your list of BIG stores, that means Gilchrist's, White's, and Raymond's were even bigger than Filene's?

In any event, your updates fill me with a bit of sadness, that I never got to see downtown Boston in its full commercial glory.

Thank you, Ron! I am so glad you have enjoyed looking through the 1956 Xmas update. The way Boston is today compared to over 40 years ago...yes, it is sad. Many argue that Boston looks cleaner, has better&more mordern buildings now that attract business and some of the street layout is easier to navigate...but what has vainished....as I have said before on the blog...is Boston's unique soul. The variety...chaos...aging facades...tacky signs...even Unkle Eph....all gave Boston character.
Like it, love it or hate it.....that was Boston.

Now as for Filene's and the word BIG. Filene's was BIG....indeed it was.
But Filene's...Kennedy's...R.H. Stearn's fall into a department store grouping that is slightly different from Jordan's, Gilchrist, Raymond's and White's.

The Filene's group of stores sold mainly clothing and personal goods for the whole family....they also carried household goods like curtains, bedding, small appliances, kitchenware, china, etc....but not huge amounts. Filene's had the most of these other departments of that group of stores. Plus Filene's had a HUGE basement and a very large eaterie on the top floor. Kennedy's had the least of these other departments.

Jordan's, Gilchrist, Raymond's and White's. They were BIG...not so much for building size but for scope of selling departments. Although Jordan Marsh filled two whole blocks and a bit by 1970....making it the biggest "physical" store of the entire group.
These stores carried most things....including hardware store items....even the proverbial kitchen sink:) They also featured, at different times during their long retailing lives, speciality departments like pets, bicycles, automotive items, garden shops, food stores, bakery goods, home decorating and re-upholstering services....even storm windows!!!

What normally used to (in the old days) break or divide the stores into the two groups was the inclusion of major household appliances and furniture. Jordan's, Gilchrist, Raymond's and White's all had these items. Jordan's had the largest sections of these....but they all did have them at some stage....thus.....they were BIG, full-line stores.

As far as building size went for all seven:
Jordan's was the largest, Filene's came next, White's was close behind, Gilchrist, then the old Raymond's site where Woolworth's used to be, Kennedy's and R.H. Stearn's would have been a near tie.

Hope that helps:rolleyes:

Thanks!!!!! Charles;)

Hello, All!!!!

Merry, Merry!!!!!!!!!

Charles - thanks for these, I really enjoy them. Just wanted to ask, which decade was it in which this era of department stores and downtown shopping started sliding towards decline? Was it most particularly suburban development and shopping malls which precipitated it, or some other factors in addition?

Hello, Shepard!

Glad you enjoy the posts and the blog!!!!

I have looked at a variety of sources doing my research over the last few years since I retired from teaching and have found a turning point in Boston's downtown picture. The business flow was good up to the early 50's...the seven department stores of downtown held strong but the suburban boom was starting to pull shoppers away. The increase in car ownership and lack of parking also began to create issues for downtown Boston in the 1950's.
The big "slap" to downtown Boston really came in 1957....my blog did an update a while back on this...when R.H. White's parent company, City Stores pronounced the flagship location on Washington Street as "too old, out of date, hard to maintain and 1956 lost them money"...and after trying to cut a deal with Boston to lower its tax rate...closed the big store. They, City Stores, wanted to invest their money in the suburban locations...and not in the aging downtown.
This sent alarm bells ringing in the many city retailers...and the slide downward picked up speed into the 60's and 70's.

I have a 2012 update planned for the final months of White's...and another dedicated to City Stores attempt to come back to Boston and try again in the early 60's. I think readers will find these very interesting to explore when they are posted.

Many more updates on various retro Boston stores, too...in 2012!!!:rolleyes:

Hello, All!!!!

Merry, Merry!!!!!!!!!

I recall Gilchrist lasted until the late 1970s, and Kennedy I think until the 1980s.

Shoppers' World - 1951
Northshore Mall - 1958
South Shore Plaza - 1961
Westgate Mall - 1963
Natick Mall - 1965

Coincidence? Nope.

Thanks, datadyne....those dates of shopping malls do match up to the shift from Boston being the shopping center of New England.

Hello, Ron

Well, done!!

Gilchrist made it to the end of December 1976 and Kennedy's carried on to the early 80's before it closed.

Hello, All!!!!

Merry, Merry!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday was the final day for Filene's Basement, on Boylston Street and everywhere else.

wallet_card_in_remembrance.jpg

<begin candlelight vigil>

Back