looks like the tall floor is pretty much done

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

A couple from five minutes ago:
14242470611_ce41abc799_b.jpg

14059185457_7382394b88_b.jpg

14242474581_45ebbb4a93_b.jpg

And yesterday:
14243560482_a2bd03c0fd_b.jpg

The "click here for high-res" car is kinda annoying, so I'm going to start only posting the 1024 wide version in-thread. I've updated my sig with a link to my photostream if anyone wants to view the mega-pixel version.

One from Market Street:

14248156875_19a731e643_b.jpg

I haven't heard any word about actual construction of the station. Anyone?

Finally, some news.

Per MBTA and MASS DOT guidelines we have been asked to host a community meeting to discuss the design and construction of the Boston Landing at Allston Brighton Commuter Rail Station. The date, time and location of this meeting is as follows:

Monday, June 2, 2014
7:00pm
WGBH Auditorium
One Guest Street
Brighton, MA 02135

We look forward to seeing all of you on June 2nd at 7:00pm.

Argh, wish I could be there, but I won't be back in town till the next day. I am pleased to hear that a) this project is moving forward and b) Allston/Brighton may actually be included in the station name.

See you at the meeting.

Sadly the other commuter rail station adjacent (originally planned as part of the realignment of the Pike's Allston tolls) has been shelved. I would not be surprised if this became a point of contention, however tangentially, at the meeting. Speaking of which, is there a thread where we're discussing the Pike realignment project, yet?

See you at the meeting.

Sadly the other commuter rail station adjacent (originally planned as part of the realignment of the Pike's Allston tolls) has been shelved. I would not be surprised if this became a point of contention, however tangentially, at the meeting. Speaking of which, is there a thread where we're discussing the Pike realignment project, yet?

Indeed! http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4807&page=8

You will find there a brief description of what was actually said in the meeting to inspire the Globe to write an overwrought and panicky article. West Station has not been shelved. The Highway Division of MassDOT does not have the appropriation necessary to include its construction in the highway project, but space is being left for it and road and pedestrian access will be considered in the roadway layout.

Two stations for Allston and Brighton probably isn't workable operationally anyway without DMU/EMU equipment - it would just be another inner stop that gets 2 trains per hour at peak. Given a choice, Allston would have been my preferred one of the two to build, since it has potential as a bus hub and serves BU, but this is the one they have the money for.

Also, I appreciate that the T added a geographic location to the station name, but "Boston Landing at Allston Brighton"? Is that seriously going on the signs and maps that way?

Indeed! http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4807&page=8

You will find there a brief description of what was actually said in the meeting to inspire the Globe to write an overwrought and panicky article. West Station has not been shelved. The Highway Division of MassDOT does not have the appropriation necessary to include its construction in the highway project, but space is being left for it and road and pedestrian access will be considered in the roadway layout.

Two stations for Allston and Brighton probably isn't workable operationally anyway without DMU/EMU equipment - it would just be another inner stop that gets 2 trains per hour at peak. Given a choice, Allston would have been my preferred one of the two to build, since it has potential as a bus hub and serves BU, but this is the one they have the money for.

Also, I appreciate that the T added a geographic location to the station name, but "Boston Landing at Allston Brighton"? Is that seriously going on the signs and maps that way?

Oh, beautiful! Also understandable that the station itself falls outside the jurisdiction of the Highway Division. Martine Powers is really nice in person and I trust she writes in earnest, but I'm curious if she has yet to grasp the finer nuances of transport politics and management in Boston.

Moreover, I'm saddened that the two aren't managed more integrally. I mean, wasn't that part of the point with the 2009 transportation reform act that brought about MassDOT in the first place? Anyway... time to take this to that other thread.

From Friday, they brought in a third crane to hoist up the MASSIVE cantilever girts.
14320057831_4e73ba69ea_b.jpg

I didn't notice what this guy was doing until I uploaded the pics just now.
14136731918_3b30434413_b.jpg

^ you can also tell that the beams are almost as tall as an average person. Crazy.

Last edited:

10455285_10152452557797836_6755091519598947457_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10390268_10152452558437836_8060886021128782322_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

NB site 8Jun (Demolition of Crystal Bus bldg. completed) Looking SE This is where the sports complex is going. Also the makeover of the parking garage continues. Looks like they might be planning art work or screens on the Guest Str. face. Guest Str. is being dug up from the garage to the Stop and Shop parking lot. Only west bound traffic allowed.

Driving by just now

14405651434_1f22f5ab55_b.jpg

A roof monitor-esque penthouse... that explains this addition as of today. I thought they had topped out.
14446432794_e0df62e3de_b.jpg

Yesterday:
14260908469_fa166ac26e_b.jpg

14467734033_9b72270ea8_b.jpg

Santa?!?!?!?!
14261119817_0782346d0f_b.jpg

They have begun pouring floors as well. My camera died before I got pics though.

Damn that thing is really looming outside your window now, huh?

Damn that thing is really looming outside your window now, huh?

Lol, one could certainly say that, yes.

14261287697_7f936fc5a6_b.jpg

It's going to be even crazier once the hotel rises behind it. For years I've planning to move downtown, now the downtown is coming to me.

Back