Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

Either way a boutique is not the way to go and that is all I have seen in relation to this project. I don't disagree with a JW but more to point, anything that brings more hotel rooms to the market is good. Any extended stay/select service would do excellent here. Boutiques rarely make money unless in an A++ location

I feel like they keep calling it that because it's going to be a fairly small hotel overall, and less so because of the price point. I'd argue the location is pretty prime though. It's going to serve the NB headquarters, whatever moves into the old NB headquarters, WGBH, the other three yet-to-be-built office buildings, Allston kid's visiting parents, and of course will be directly adjacent to a CR stop to downtown. I imagine they will also get some overflow from the Doubletree when it's booked up for Harvard events.

I'd argue against an extended stay, there are a few around and they are all pretty sketchy; whether a name brand or otherwise. I'd also like to see a faster turnaround on the rooms, people camping out is no good when 'rents need a place to stay or there is an event in town.

From RIGHT NOW:
I'm not sure if these two events are actually related, but Andrew knocked over the port-a-john: (a literal shit storm?)
14419817038_e7ffc2c142_b.jpg

Since then, the crane moved back to the other side and is now bringing stuff up to the penthouse:
14604417094_371b23ca06_b.jpg

They are making progress on the main stairs as well. Up to the third level now:
14626474103_7fc387f3fe_b.jpg

From the other day, watching guys ride these concrete finishing machines always cracks me up for some reason:
14604417764_f26ac9988d_b.jpg

Last edited:

I hope the economics work out well to put plenty of residential over the rink. It would be a shame for a footprint that large go without residential.

Unless they released an updated PNF then the rink building is strictly a fitness center. Page 5 of this thread has all the drawings.

They also mentioned axing the fitness center due to the "success" (whatever that means) of the existing center that opened last year on the first floor of the parking lot, so there may be some sq. footage left to play with.

Unless they released an updated PNF then the rink building is strictly a fitness center. Page 5 of this thread has all the drawings.

This is correct. There is very little space outside of the link to put a residential component. Clearly they had only completed DD, and the design can change, but it doesn't look like residential makes much sense here, nor does it fit in with their program.

New Boston Landing (PNF)

Plan at Skating Rink level
sJT7PxI.png

North Elev. of Skating Rink and Sports complex
pmPqTso.png

North South Section
Slz7Par.png

East West Section
IN9lYvF.png

This and what hopefully will happen when the Pike is straightened at the Allston booth (new land available, Harvard's properties more developable) is pretty interesting. As they say in the Globe today, we may have another "Seaport."

They also mentioned axing the fitness center due to the "success" (whatever that means) of the existing center that opened last year on the first floor of the parking lot, so there may be some sq. footage left to play with.

Perhaps Bally Fitness closed with little warning, after they had penciled in space for a fitness center in the new development? That may have forced them to open their own gym sooner then they expected, and once it was operational it stopped making sense to build a new one. They also moved the outlet store around the corner over to where Grossmans used to be. If it's not going back in that location, I presume they are going to expand the gym into the space it formerly occupied as well. This is all speculation, but I think it would make sense.

This and what hopefully will happen when the Pike is straightened at the Allston booth (new land available, Harvard's properties more developable) is pretty interesting. As they say in the Glove today, we may have another "Seaport."

I'm excited. But at the same time I'd love to somehow lock my landlord into a 5 year lease. Once all this opens I doubt my rent will stay as below market as it currently is...

I'm excited. But at the same time I'd love to somehow lock my landlord into a 5 year lease. Once all this opens I doubt my rent will stay as below market as it currently is...

Welcome to my life in Union Square! So excited for the future, but worried I won't be able to afford to be a part of it...

This and what hopefully will happen when the Pike is straightened at the Allston booth (new land available, Harvard's properties more developable) is pretty interesting. As they say in the Globe today, we may have another "Seaport."

If Urban Ring ever happens, overall transit improves (i.e. West Staion), and pike realignment looks mostly like davem's plan, then Allston/Brighton could very well become a new, skyscraper-filled downtown. It's far enough from Logan and any flight paths that it wouldn't be in FAA's way at all. The area is literally surrounded by some of the world's premiere research institutions. And we all know very well by now that the housing demand alone warrants the erection of 50,000-75,000+ dwelling units here over the next 20 years. Amenities like the New Balance Complex and Charles River access add weight to the argument.

50,000-75,000 dwelling units would more than double the population of Allston-Brighton.

Probably shouldn't sell it in such a fashion ;)

How about pitching it more like what was done in Arlington, VA where they built nice infill development surrounding Metro stations?

The rendering in the article is new to me. Looks like the hotel has evolved a bit (for the better). And CR station!

Neoscape_EastPike_V4_Cropped.jpg

OMG, it is taller than it is wide! It is SOARING over Brighton!

Any idea if that CR station is being built such that it can be accessed easily from Everett St.? If so, it would allow people living north of the Pike to access it and use it as a quasi rapid transit station once DMUs are running, but I'm not sure if it will be built behind the Stop and shop, looks more like it will be built just west of it. which will be fine asssuming the Everett St. bridge allows people to get off and walk behind the stop and shop to acces the station

Any idea if that CR station is being built such that it can be accessed easily from Everett St.? If so, it would allow people living north of the Pike to access it and use it as a quasi rapid transit station once DMUs are running, but I'm not sure if it will be built behind the Stop and shop, looks more like it will be built just west of it. which will be fine asssuming the Everett St. bridge allows people to get off and walk behind the stop and shop to acces the station

map-big.jpg

That's the rendering. Subject to change of course. Island platform on the 4-track segment abutting the west side of the Everett St. bridge, presumably with some sort of ramp egress up onto Everett to go along with ground-level access at Braintree St./Stop & Shop. Southerly track gets shifted over to the Braintree St. fence on open ROW space that used to be a freight siding that peeled off to whatever used to be in the Self Storage on N. Beacon. That's where they have the most room to shove a full island between Tracks 1 & 2 and still have room to keep one or both of the extra tracks for Worcester trains to pass and for access to any layover yard that may get built on the T's Beacon Park easement.

I would also presume that little inland jog the 64 bus does off N. Beacon onto Guest St. and Arthur St./Stop & Shop will end up getting a slight re-shaping 500 more feet away into the station kiss-and-ride before it heads back onto N. Beacon. It's close enough that they might as well do a proper loop-in.

It could shift west since none of this is finalized, but they have far and away the most room to play with behind Stop & Shop and easiest means of creating egresses, kiss-and-ride/bus loop, etc. The access road behind HQ doesn't leave very much maneuvering space for drop-offs if it's placed west of realigned Arthur St., and the T loses track capacity for Worcester, Grand Junction, freight, and non-revenue moves if the station is plunked on the west side of where 4 tracks merge back to 2. Ultimately it's NB's money and it goes where they say it goes, but the state's going to have an obvious preference for the Everett St. abutting station over anything on the in-between blocks.

Last edited:

The skating rink is apparently gone, to be replaced by a Boston Bruins training facility at the complex.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ity-allston/g0wNkmbUfawKh5VFoeeuJM/story.html

Wouldn't be much of a hockey training(practice) facility without a rink.
This has been the plan for quite sometime anyways, just couldn't go public until the papers were all signed. Doesn't usually sit well with your current lease holder. Especially if it gets significantly delayed.

Like many practice facility rinks, I would assume this will be open to the public much of the time when not in immediate use by the team.

Is the NB Factory store move permanent or are they planning a new flagship?

I just drove by this and I think its being top out, couldn't take a picture

I just drove by this and I think its being top out, couldn't take a picture

Not yet, they still have to deck the top floor and extend the penthouse to the rear. Sometime next week I'd venture, although visible progress has substantially slowed recently. It looks like the crane is getting more use lifting materials into the building right now than to raise steel. I've been slacking taking pictures because, well, there's not much to take pictures of.

I took my typical apartment pic, and then decided to get some real shots of the building:
14697106696_2ab38d8eec_b.jpg

From the Everett St Bridge:
14697105036_7e4ccbc62c_b.jpg

From Stop and Shop's parking lot:
14720099145_b4fcb2caea_b.jpg

14697100996_625b184dbd_b.jpg

Guest St, site cleared for the athletic complex:
14533653917_39fb9a7000_b.jpg

Big'ol'hole in the facade:
14716911771_ff86db68bb_b.jpg

Where the future office towers will go. I presume the pad they're staging the steel on in this shot and the last is for the hotel:
14720092195_7213607fbf_b.jpg

From Market St. Man, it's smoggy today. Usually the Hancock is crystal clear:
14717701604_0916d661c9_b.jpg

Compare to the rendering:
14739946143_b49def20a3_b.jpg

06-boston-development-archpaper.jpg

There is a LOT of steel lying around to just finish off the penthouse, I wonder if the hotel is going to start going up right after?

Back