Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

^ You mean like these? :

6a0105367f07d8970b0147e261b74b970b-pi

The replacement locomotive stock.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but we already got 2 of these like a year ago, and we aren't getting any more.

The renderings of the HSP46's are damn fugly, so don't get your hopes up. They won't be this beautiful.

Yep. Not a big fan of the T bat signal on the side, but anybody complaining about aesthetics today will think these things are the sexiest slabs of meat at Spring Break if they prove consistently capable of making it from Point A to Point B without breaking down.

Quieter, much less exhaust, zippier/more nimble starts and stops, 25% more horsepower for less fuel, regenerative braking, etc. But all that's fine print too if they JUST FUCKING WORK.

Why don't they activate the "A" branch of the green line and run it west on Brighton Ave, N. Beacon and Beacon streets? They could run it all the way to Watertown Center for that matter. That would go a long way to address the rapid (rail) transit void in this part of the city.

I would love that. But, I don't think street running is viable - it would only be able to go down dedicated medians, which would get you no further than St Elizabeth's if it goes Cambridge Street, and almost nowhere on N Beacon.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that this area is a complete rail transit wasteland. Warren Street on the B line is (according to gmaps) a 1 mile / 20 minute walk. Yes, I'd put this at the upper range of accessibility but then again there are places in the South End which are about as far away too.

If you are talking about 176 Lincoln Street, Harvard bought it several years ago for $16M and is in the process of swapping it with the Skating Club of Boston.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-...ife-sciences-biotech-facility-vacant-facility

Harry -- yes that's the building

Well is good to hear that it will finally find a use as a skating rink

it's come a long way since it was built to store tanks for General Patton

Quieter, much less exhaust, zippier/more nimble starts and stops, 25% more horsepower for less fuel, regenerative braking, etc. But all that's fine print too if they JUST FUCKING WORK.

Amen, Brother.

Why don't they activate the "A" branch of the green line and run it west on Brighton Ave, N. Beacon and Beacon streets? They could run it all the way to Watertown Center for that matter. That would go a long way to address the rapid (rail) transit void in this part of the city.

Because they ripped it up 20 years ago. If Washington St doesn't get light rail, Allston sure as hell won't.

Harry -- yes that's the building

Well is good to hear that it will finally find a use as a skating rink

it's come a long way since it was built to store tanks for General Patton

They're actually going to level it and start over. Maybe the existing slab foundation will remain, if it's that beefy. It wouldn't be cost effective to take all that out. The rest of the building, though is scrap. What a waste...

They're actually going to level it and start over. Maybe the existing slab foundation will remain, if it's that beefy. It wouldn't be cost effective to take all that out. The rest of the building, though is scrap. What a waste...

Plan_B -- I think that the slab is about 2+ feet thick with a floor loading of several thousand pounds per sq. ft. -- they used to drive tanks (WWII generation) onto it

Really quite incredible.

From this:
newbalancebrighton5__1332783923_1579-1.jpg

To this:
newbalancebrighton2b__1332782616_5813-1.jpg

Usually it is the other way around in Boston.

The before and after shots are pretty impressive.

Really quite incredible.

From this:
newbalancebrighton5__1332783923_1579-1.jpg

To this:

Usually it is the other way around in Boston.

To clarify - the first is the former Lowe's proposal. Dodged a bullet there!

I like the gently sloping lawn. I assume it's there to buffer the new street grid from the site/sound of the Pike.

Blegh, every urban corporate campus is getting its "gently sloping lawn," from Novartis to Google to this. It's a privatized version of the Seaport's virtual one park per building requirement...

Good god, that mid-rise is bland, trite and boring. From the pathetic white to another yawn-worthy project with reductive "loft-style" windows. I weep for the state of (financeable) design in the 21st century.

Does it remind you of anything?

jfkfederalbldg.jpg

Back