Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

Good luck filling all that small-scale retail space awkwardly situated on a side street behind the Pike with only the New Balance campus as a potential customer base! Better they included it than not, though.

If the sports complex becomes a destination draw...retail becomes a lot more feasible

Nice to see some buildings come with the new parking garage

It does seem like a lot of retail. The post 5 pm population is the handful of late nighters at GBH and New Balance, the residential area south of North Beacon, and the people at the Sound Museum on North Beacon. I guess there'll be more if they add the Hotel and the sports complex, but is that really enough of an addition? Especially in that sort of awkward spot on the periphery of the neighborhood?

Stellarfun, there is one seemingly token basketball court placed in the back of the oddly shaped lobby space on the first floor.
Thanks. I did find it tucked away in the plans, no text description to speak of.

The track will have seating for 3,300. The ice hockey rink, maybe several hundred. The basketball court, no seating.

It does seem like a lot of retail. The post 5 pm population is the handful of late nighters at GBH and New Balance, the residential area south of North Beacon, and the people at the Sound Museum on North Beacon. I guess there'll be more if they add the Hotel and the sports complex, but is that really enough of an addition? Especially in that sort of awkward spot on the periphery of the neighborhood?

I had the same thought. The building right across contained only an ATM and vacant space until Zoots moved in very recently. Most of the storefronts on Market and North Beacon in the area are underused or converted to residential/industrial uses.

My only idea is that it will either be oriented towards the business community, or that the vast improvements to the area will spawn residential buildings of the scale of what is getting built on Brainard Road. There's a ton of empty space that could be redeveloped right around there.

I'm hoping there will be impetus to build additional residential/mixed-use on the surrounding lots, especially if they do get that commuter rail stop.

Stellarfun, there is one seemingly token basketball court placed in the back of the oddly shaped lobby space on the first floor.

Kz -- when you look at the renders of the floors and you see the hockey rink hidden in the midst -- you suddenly realize how really big is the sports facility

7330567068_6481bc27fc_b.jpg

By the way the view as you drive along the Pike will be most impressive
7330577766_dbdec90c9e_b.jpg

I had wondered whether the Celtics might move their practice facility here, but they practice at a facility owned by the team's doctors.

I had wondered whether the Celtics might move their practice facility here, but they practice at a facility owned by the team's doctors.

Stel -- I'll bet that the Bruins might want to practice there as today they practice some substantial distance from the Garden on the North Shore

Stel -- I'll bet that the Bruins might want to practice there as today they practice some substantial distance from the Garden on the North Shore

Where they want to be ... because they fly out of Hanscom Field.

...or they fly out of Hanscom because they're not convenient to Logan. Either way, I think they'd be happy to consider moving the plane and even if not, Hanscom isn't terribly far from Brighton.

The fact that there's such a prominent Hockey component to this without nearly as much space for anything else with a new rink facility going up nearby tells me that they're at least going to try to get the Bruins. The only question is whether the NHL would actually allow that, given that they probably have all sorts of exclusive equipment deals with a competitor (Adidas, it seems). It's probably technically fine, but Bettman might apply some behind-the-scenes pressure.

Hanscom is a much better place to fly out of than Logan. And I'm not just talking JStars.

The North Shore is further from Hanscom than Brighton is...

The North Shore is further from Hanscom than Brighton is...

According to Google maps, Wilmington, MA (where the Bruins practice) is 17 miles to Hanscom and Brighton is 18 miles to Hanscom.

Can't wait to hear more about this. Based on NB's funding, I assume the platform would be between Everett and Market Streets? It will be interesting to see if this will spur some development in adjacent Allston as well - for example Braintree Street, between Everett and the stub end of Harvard Ave/Franklin, currently an industrial wasteland - I can see high-rises here sprouting pretty easily.

Do we have any idea of what the "increased frequency" will be along the Framingham/Worcester after the CSX depot move is completed?

Also any idea if this would be Zone 1A or 1?

Having a stop will certainly help some development, but real frequency and keeping the stop at subway pricing will also be huge factors.

Also, since when does Wilmington count as part of the North Shore???

For all the hoopla...think about how many resources would be saved if this little headquarters village were being built around an existing, heavy rail transit hub rather than trying to build a crude version of a transit hub from scratch using a commuter rail station. A development like this could have had tremendous consequences for any number of underdeveloped Orange Line nodes. Oh well, I guess NB needed its architectural billboard along the pike (GBH never had any excuse).

No doubt this will help the Harvard development as well (what the hell is going on with that?)

Back