Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

Cool thought, You would be able to go from BC to BU to Fenway to the Garden to a Soccer Stadium event on all the same day without have to get on a different train. a unique feature compared to any city. (granted if you took the green line you may miss most of the action)

According to Google maps, Wilmington, MA (where the Bruins practice) is 17 miles to Hanscom and Brighton is 18 miles to Hanscom.

Well I didn't know they were in Wilmington, and Wilmington's not on the North Shore so that's a moot point. I doubt that the difference of a mile would dissuade them from a move to a practice location that's closer to their game venue.

New Balance is not building a NHL-sized rink with (IIRC) 30,000 sq ft of adjacent sports medicine space and with virtually no seating for Pee-Wee hockey leagues. Far cheaper to use the floor space for indoor tennis, or basketball/volleyball courts/dance-aerobics studios/indoor baseball/golf cages.

@ Equilibria: yeah, no I totally agree. Should have clarified that by "it'll happen" I didn't necessarily mean "it'll happen as a deck over the train yard in Somerville." Just that MLS is pushing them to built a soccer specific stadium and they're going to have to build it sometime in the medium term future.

Yes it is cannibalizing.
TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL NUMBERS:
Let's say he can sell 100,000 tickets per year at $10 per ticket in Foxboro. And 200,000 tickets per year at $15 per ticket in Somerville.
That's $1M in revenue in Foxboro and $3M in revenue in Somerville. So his incremental profit is $2M. If he demands a 10% return on his money, the most he'd be willing to spend on a new stadium is $20M. However, a different owner (one that didn't have an existing stadium), who also demanded 10% would be willing to spend $30M.

Of course that doesn't even account for the fact that he's getting much more in parking revenue in Gillette than he will in Somerville (since mass transit isn't as much of an option). And he's benefiting from the people who come to a Revs game and shop at the mall.

Gillette Stadium is a sunk cost. The hypothetical urban stadium is not.

AMFL -- call your attention to the same T Bill Rates as I did Stel on the Aquarium Gargage Thread

Nobody in their right mind is expecting 10% on an investment these days -- short of a VC who expects to eat several of the investments and has to cover, -- or Spanish Banks. This unreealistic expectation of ROI is part of the problem with the municipal bankruptcies -- many built-in 10% or even 12% into the pension plans for the fat-cat public sector unions -- there is no way that a city or town can get 10% without going after extreme risk aka Greek General Obligation Bonds.

Today to yield 2M$ - you need to be willing to invest over 30M$ possibly closer to 40M$ for fairly low investment risk or nearly 60M$ in T Bills

AMFL -- call your attention to the same T Bill Rates as I did Stel on the Aquarium Gargage Thread

Whig -- call your attention to the part of my post where I wrote in all capital letters "TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL NUMBERS". 10% makes the math easier.

Whig -- call your attention to the part of my post where I wrote in all capital letters "TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL NUMBERS". 10% makes the math easier.

AMFL -- come on use 5% -- divide by or X 2 is not all that difficult -- don't even need an Ap for that

(Allston) $1 million for the design and construction of a pedestrian footbridge over the Massachusetts Turnpike with an entry and exit point for the north side of the footbridge on Lincoln Street between Antwerp Street and South Waverly street in the city of Boston and an entry and exit point on the south side of the footbridge at the proposed New Brighton Landing commuter rail stop; funds shall be expended for the design and construction of three pedestrian underpasses adjacent to the Boston side of the Charles River at the River Street, Western Avenue and Anderson Bridges.

(Brighton) $500,000 for a study to design and construct a pedestrian footbridge with and entry and exit point between Brooks Street and Parsons Street in the city of Boston over the existing roadways to and entry and exit point on the Dr. Paul Dudley White Bike Path.

http://beaconhill.patch.com/articles/transportation-bill-earmarks-upgrades-to-boston-s-road-bridges

$1m for a design for a 5 foot wide bridge... $500k for a study... Jesus f'ing Christ.

How about New Balance foots the bill for the foot bridge, huh?

$1m for a design for a 5 foot wide bridge... $500k for a study... Jesus f'ing Christ.

How about New Balance foots the bill for the foot bridge, huh?

Read it again.

It is $1million for design AND CONSTRUCTION....

And isn't New Balance footing the bill for the commuter rail stop.

Plus, the $1M also includes

design and construction of three pedestrian underpasses adjacent to the Boston side of the Charles River at the River Street, Western Avenue and Anderson Bridges.

This is the best news I've heard in a long, long time. I was excited by the new balance development, but now I'm estatic at what its doing for the area.

I'm secretly hoping their next move will be to deck over the pike

Someone on Universal Hub says NB is rumored to be buying Stockyard (for its liquor license). Or is this old news?

Back