Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

I'm sure it pays the bills but if I'm that architect this project probably doesn't make my portfolio or website. Yikes.

They sure love their weird cantilevers with unfortunate structural members over there.

With the Celtics facility nearing completion and the residential building to open soon, I am surprised there has been no movement or even news on the rest of this development (i.e. hotel, world class athletic facility, additional retail/restaurants etc.).

With the Celtics facility nearing completion and the residential building to open soon, I am surprised there has been no movement or even news on the rest of this development (i.e. hotel, world class athletic facility, additional retail/restaurants etc.).

City could maybe push for a redesign of the hotel to go, (you guessed it) since it will be joined by the amassive developments next door and nearby.

So much grey! When exactly did we westernized humans become deathly afraid of color?

So much grey! When exactly did we westernized humans become deathly afraid of color?

When we realized that colorful paint is crazy high in VOC's. Same thing with cars. Did you ever wonder why in the 70's there were so many brightly colored cars and then all the sudden ... the color went away and the metalic paints showed up. It was because the VOC's were banned by the EPA.

Welcome to reality.

cca

I find myself actually wondering if the tan/beige/brown world of color might not be something we should all be thinking about. The light in Boston is usually pretty cool so all these grey and white buildings look even more cool and forbidding. Some warmth might help.

I really can believe I am advocating for beige.

Did you ever wonder why in the 70's there were so many brightly colored cars and then all the sudden ... the color went away and the metalic paints showed up. It was because the VOC's were banned by the EPA.

(Very off topic to the actual development, but...) I feel like more is going on than environmental regulations. In Canada, you can get the Golf in 35 different colors, while the US only has 5 options. I doubt that is environmental regulations. US consumers just don't seem to care about having 10 different blues or 3 different oranges; you cannot get any orange for the Golf in the US, and vehicles like the Crosstrek or BMWs that offer orange only give you one option.

Yeah, my point isn't in 1970s EPA regulations but rather the last 10-15 years, where so much--particularly interior design and cars--have gone completely greyscale. Otherwise what about 1980s postmodernism, or '90s vehicles with funky green and purple shades?

dwash is correct in pointing out how flavorless car color choices have become... black, white, grey, silver, dark blue, dark red, and then maybe a bright blue or red. I know all about resale values, but there's more to this trend than just the number you can trade your vehicle in for. We've become incredibly color averse.

Back