Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

So wish this green was the final color.

Totally agreed. Having a bright green stripe down the "shoe" would have been awesome. It would have made it relate more to a shoe.

Some of the boards they had up at the ground breaking ceremony today...

those commuter rail trains look vaguely rapid-transit-y:

IMG_20150512_104904.jpg

IMG_20150512_104854.jpg

IMG_20150512_102920.jpg

those commuter rail trains look vaguely rapid-transit-y:
Bring it on! ;-) Maybe they were going for a whiff of DMU ;-)

Hey Matthew, did they give a timetable on when this will open?

Five things you need to know about the MBTA’s new Allston-Brighton commuter rail station

Here are five things you need to know about the project:

The full-service commuter rail station is located at Boston Landing, a massive mixed-use development planned by NB Development Group that spans 15 acres along the Massachusetts Turnpike in Brighton. Boston Landing’s total buildout of 2.5 million square feet will include the new world headquarters for New Balance, a 175-room boutique hotel, 650,000 square feet of Class A office space and a training rink for the Boston Bruins.

The Allston-Brighton Rail Station will connect to the Framingham/Worcester line that goes to South Station in downtown Boston. The line will provide access between Market and Everett streets in Brighton by connecting the Everett Street bridge and extending westward toward what will become an extension of Arthur Street.

Two MBTA bus routes will intersect directly with the new commuter rail location. New Balance plans a Hubway bicycle share station and bicycle racks as part of the project.

The station will open in fall 2016 and will make eight daily weekday and weekend stops — four in the morning and four in the afternoon.

The $20 million commuter rail project is financed by Boston Landing LLC, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

Only eight daily stops out of the 24 or whatever inbound trains that travel up the Worcester Framingham line? This station would be immensely more useful if the MBTA could increase the number of trains that stopped here. Is there some reason? Would it gum up the line if too many trains actually stopped in Brighton? How does this compare with Yawkey?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...gs-you-need-to-know-about-the-mbta-s-new.html

Only eight daily stops out of the 24 or whatever inbound trains that travel up the Worcester Framingham line? This station would be immensely more useful if the MBTA could increase the number of trains that stopped here. Is there some reason? Would it gum up the line if too many trains actually stopped in Brighton? How does this compare with Yawkey?

I think it's smart to open as a limit-stop station and prime ridership, rather than hurting other Worcester Line riders' travel times before ridership is established. Yawkey began as a limited stop at first (although that is a different animal as there were low platforms serving only one track).

Right now, six round trips run express to/from Wellesley (skippand ing the Newton stops), two round trips run express to/from Natick, 2.5 round trips run express to/from Framingham. So, downtown travel time to/from the outer suburbs is certainly a priority.

From the top floor of the garage today.
cqwAq1i.jpg

What bus routes 'directly' connect with it? Not the 64, not the 86, and not the 70. I guess the 64 comes closest.

So the station is going to be called "Boston Landing at Allston Brighton?" I appreciate that the neighborhoods are on the station signage, but will that fit on a map?

So the station is going to be called "Boston Landing at Allston Brighton?" I appreciate that the neighborhoods are on the station signage, but will that fit on a map?

Landing is a bit gimmicky..but I have to imagine they're some consideration given to the future West Station - since they'll both service A/B. I'd prefer Landing be "Brighton" honestly, but I guess that's why I'm not a 'branding' expert. Would be nice if West became "Allston", but if the intent is to make West a transit locus (despite BU's attempt to scuttle that) then I can see why "West" would tie in well with North and South Stations. Anyways, that's getting a little off-track....

This is why we need the indigo line on this route. Commuter trains can stop at the beginning of the line and express in, and the indigo can provide rapid transit like headways to all the stations in between.

they are planning on bringing DMU's to the commuter rail line, particularly the Worcester line, it'll help a ton with the commute in from that part of town!

DMUs sound great...prob won't see anything for another 20 years though.

Btw am I the only one that thinks this thing is ugly? It's like assembly row only take away the river/insert highway, take away shops restaurants add ice rink, take away orange line add commuter rail stop with 8 trips/day...good project but doesn't excite me. At the end of the day it's not really going to do much for Brighton in terms of a destination or pedestrian oriented area.

DMUs sound great...prob won't see anything for another 20 years though.

Btw am I the only one that thinks this thing is ugly? It's like assembly row only take away the river/insert highway, take away shops restaurants add ice rink, take away orange line add commuter rail stop with 8 trips/day...good project but doesn't excite me. At the end of the day it's not really going to do much for Brighton in terms of a destination or pedestrian oriented area.

I agree it may not create a pedestrian-oriented area, but I think it will certainly be a destination if it has some profile as a significant shopping/hotel/skating venue. A kind of mini-Assembly Square.

I agree it may not create a pedestrian-oriented area, but I think it will certainly be a destination if it has some profile as a significant shopping/hotel/skating venue. A kind of mini-Assembly Square.

Tomb -- it's going to become a veritable Ice Central as just on the other side of the Pike the Skating Club of Boston is replacing an old warehouse located @ 176 Lincoln St., with 3 skating rinks and some parking

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/skating-club-of-boston

Back