Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Natixis Global Asset Management to Relocate Boston Headquarters to 888 Boylston

BOSTON — Natixis Global Asset Management, one of the largest asset managers in the world, announced today it will relocate its United States corporate headquarters to 888 Boylston Street in Boston, 1 as the anchor tenant in a new office building being developed by Boston Properties adjacent to the Prudential Center in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood. Expecting to build upon its sustained pattern of growth, Natixis will occupy approximately 128,000 square feet in five stories with the option to expand onto a sixth floor. Construction of Natixis’ space is scheduled for completion in fall 2017.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140729005151/en#.U9ef0eNdVyI

Tower is set to begin next month, completion June 2016.

17-story tower to complete Prudential Center complex

Included with the article was a bigger version of the rendering on the BRA page
888%20Boylston-8037.jpg

this building has gone thru many changes

^ Thanks for the research/compilation. =)

I'm so glad the bulge is gone.

Not bad, less bloated. Certainly better than the previous. The struts at top and the struts/bay window combo at the bottom give it some personality.

Much better design for that space and location. I was always uncomfortable with the smooth, curvature of the facade.

Much better design for that space and location. I was always uncomfortable with the smooth, curvature of the facade.

"Go big or go home" is a big thing they emphasized in architecture school. In order for a gesture to be successful, it has to be bold and pronounced. You've gotta commit to it and really curve the facade or make it flat. A slight curve (without clear purpose) just ends up looking timid and awkward.

I really like the "diet" they put the Pru Tower on in the rendering. The new 888 Building causes magical slimming of the Pru. Awesome.

Great job compiling all the old renderings of this project, 02124. And to finish that thought here's the earliest form 888 ever took, as envisioned in a 1989 master plan:

img2413li8.jpg

Looks like windmills on the roof? Has anyone seen this before in America.

Looks like windmills on the roof? Has anyone seen this before in America.

I'm not at all certain that the structures on the east and west faces of the building are mini-turbines. It's not clear enough to make that call.

What looks like windmills? I see a squat 12-story PoMo building.

EDIT: Ignore me. I thought you were talking about the 1989 rendering. Though the PoMo comment still works.

Last edited:
They are awfully small to be turbines, but it would be cool as hell if they are. Constant motion on the roof - harnessing some of that wind tunnel Ned fears so much - and integrated architecturally to boot. They would certainly be icing on the cake, as it were.

According to an article in Banker and Tradesman the building will have a rooftop wind turbine to supply external lighting. This will also help them attain LEED Platinum Certification.

Back