Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

If only the John Hancock tower had wind turbines. They could power the entire city of Boston.

I am thankful that we appear to have ducked the worst of the 80s PoMo hell. Though I'm tempted to pull together a thread of all the 80s PoMo renders titled "This is your PoMo future-past".

About that statue....
10563050_756532924390593_1680563227446612162_n.jpg

Thank you for this. I contacted them through their webpage but hadn't heard back from them yet.

Hopefully they move the statue to the visible/accessible space it deserves and not one of the courtyards.

Nice find, Data! Very cool building and I like the completion date of 2016 very much.

Great find! I didn't know this was FXFOWLE. I generally like their work. I think the Boylston plaza could use a little refining, however...

I'm happy to see they'll be keeping the courtyard adjacent to the food court as well. I wasn't sure that they would...

Great find! I didn't know this was FXFOWLE. I generally like their work. I think the Boylston plaza could use a little refining, however...

I'm happy to see they'll be keeping the courtyard adjacent to the food court as well. I wasn't sure that they would...
Thanks to the Globe for citing FXFOWLE when they posted a rendering in an article.

Hmm - you think it's the courtyard? Looks more like it's food court's roof.

Hmm - you think it's the courtyard? Looks more like it's food court's roof.

It is the food court's roof. It's also labeled as green roof. I'll miss sitting outside on the terrace with my Pinkberry, but I'll just have to eat out front of 888 now.

I'm also not sure how much use are solar panels considering that Pru is right to the south of this.

It is the food court's roof. It's also labeled as green roof. I'll miss sitting outside on the terrace with my Pinkberry, but I'll just have to eat out front of 888 now.

That'll teach me to take some more time reading- I saw the green behind the building and just assumed without confirming!

The FXFOWLE site has some good renderings from Memorial Drive and Fenway. It seems to me that the roof elements/mechanicals push this just about equal (or perhaps above?) with the three old Avalon residences in terms of height. Though that might just be perspective.

2c1572079fe8f2f8b1395933e6c6b362.jpg

d2381d253d7e3d7dac94502d7854de2f.jpg

The base looks interesting:
2a0aa4bfbe2b4ce8b596c0e7963495fc.jpg

707c117ead9cea1755d9acd4ed4f7387.jpg

(All images from FXFOWLE)

I think it's absurd that the renders from across the street imply that the Charles River side of Boylston has 400' wide sidewalks.

One of the last two renders turns Boylston Street into a one lane road with no parking, turning the rest of the street into a pedestrian zone.

The other turns Boylston Street into a massive divided road, West Coast style. I think the other side of Boylston Street will have to be demolished to make this happen. :)

As of this morning, the plaza is roped off. My guess is they'll be tearing out the planters in the next few days.

Edit: patio furniture by the food court has been completely removed.

Last edited:
Good to know! I'll be swinging through with my camera in half an hour.

Great to see they are putting a separate, enclosed entrance to the food court next to the Hynes. That should ease up congestion in the tiny Boylston Arcade considerably. It would be nice if they added a stall or two as well.

I called it that those were wind turbines. I do think this tower is a bit on the Dubai/cheesy side looks wise, but that being said I love the innovation this brings so I'm all for it.

Back