Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

I may sound like a NIMBY here, but we are losing one hell of a view from Boylston of the Pru and 111 being all buddy buddy. Even one of my friends who isn't 1/10 as passionate or obnoxious about this stuff as I am was annoyed that they are "tarnishing the best side of the Pru."

In this case, we are going to have a view of a 230' fat waste of space where we used to gaze up at a glimmering 550' and 750'. That's subtraction by addition if you ask me! Go to Boylston and enjoy this gem of a view for the last few fleeting months that we will have it!

the best side of the Pru

No such thing, in my opinion. To my eye the Pru is homely, just short of ugly.

Not that I love the proportions of this glass box, but I think closing the Boylston streetwall outweighs losing a view of the Pru and R2D2 from a block of Boylston. Views of those towers can be had in other places, but the streetlife experience on Boylston can only be had on Boylston.

The courtyard was an eyesore with the mall banner, asymmetrical crumbling stairs and fast food logos. You'll always have the top to bottom view from the prudential center courtyard. Definitely has always been the most sculptural view.

The Pru would be 10x cooler if they made those seaform green panels under the windows glow at night.

They also need to a new writer:

"The $275 million tower is Boston's first new office tower in more than 10 years."

"According to a previous Business Journal report, the last office tower built in the Back Bay was 111 Huntington Ave. in 2002."

They also need a new researcher, because Atlantic Wharf is taller than this building.

I hate the argument "blocks our view" I find this laughable. Sure I would have loved a 700' tower but density at minimum. A major city that hasn't added an office building in 12 years to the Back Bay. That statistic is unreal. We're in a major growth period and need to capitalize. More people, a vibrant urban setting, get out of these 60's wasteland brick deserts and get this city moving.

I may sound like a NIMBY here, but we are losing one hell of a view from Boylston of the Pru and 111 being all buddy buddy. Even one of my friends who isn't 1/10 as passionate or obnoxious about this stuff as I am was annoyed that they are "tarnishing the best side of the Pru."

In this case, we are going to have a view of a 230' fat waste of space where we used to gaze up at a glimmering 550' and 750'. That's subtraction by addition if you ask me! Go to Boylston and enjoy this gem of a view for the last few fleeting months that we will have it!

A 230' fat waste of space? I really liked the design.

A 230' fat waste of space? I really liked the design.

It's a small step up from what we are getting in the seaport. Considering those are pretty much the only office buildings being built here, I can see why your standards might have been lowered. However, those are not the kinds of buildings I want to see get built downtown.

They could have done more to fix and activate the plaza.

The view of the Pru from the garden will remain the same, but we will never get the perfect buddy/buddy view of the Pru and 111 that we got from the plaza.

I always bring it back to Philadelphia. Their best "new" tower, and one of the finest skyscrapers ever built, is 1 Liberty Place. Everybody always says the tower looks squat and ill proportioned, but it's because there is no single viewing corridor where you can see it top to bottom. Instead, it is completely surrounded by fat boxes near the 500' mark. So people only see the top and somehow judge the entire building as squat because of it.

Part of the reason the Hancock and Pru are so dominant and soar so much is that there are top to bottom views still available of these buildings. If we surround them by fatties then not only will they look squatter in comparison, but at street level we will lose the "big city" feel that they provide, replacing them with fat 230' boxes.

I can attest that, given the amount I have walked around Boston, the current boom isn't doing the skyline any favors. As somebody mentioned on the Jacob Wirth thread, the end of Stuart/Kneeland streets used to give a view of the Fed and 1 Financial, and now it's the Kensington and Jacob Wirth tower. The downtown looks smaller because the larger buildings are being walled off. Luckily, the next few years should flip the script but for now I will continue to be disappointed as we lose many powerful skyline views from the last 20-30 years. This building is the worst offender. Sorry, but not sorry.

You know what i'm concerned about? Economic development. Skyline be damned.

I cannot believe how much energy people spend talking about the fucking skyline.

Edit: I also care about street-level interaction with the environment.

You know what i'm concerned about? Economic development. Skyline be damned.

I cannot believe how much energy people spend talking about the fucking skyline.

+1,000

If Menino had thrown us a bone once in a while during his 20 year royal reign, maybe it wouldn't concern us as much now.

And just what IS the street level interaction of this building? It eliminates a public entrance to the food court, and as another poster pointed out will leave an entire corner of the food court in perpetual darkness. How is my experience as a pedestrian going to be improved by this building?

Y'all like to ride around on your high horses and lecture from your bully pulpits, but I'll be damned if I roll over and applaud while they plop Seaport-type buildings right downtown.

Luckily, in a few years this argument won't matter anyway. By 2020 we all will have gotten what we want out of this construction boom, in spades.

And just what IS the street level interaction of this building? It eliminates a public entrance to the food court, and as another poster pointed out will leave an entire corner of the food court in perpetual darkness. How is my experience as a pedestrian going to be improved by this building?
I'm sorry, but what the actual f-. This proves you know NOTHING about this building you are making very pointed comments on. The whole freaking base is a glassed in department store with a cafe. There's also an office entrance and food court entrance directly on the plaza, all activating what was a typically dead plaza with monolithic stairs.

Trust me, I loved to eat on The Terrace outside the food court and I'll miss it, but we're getting a heck of a lot of development in its place. I said my goodbyes right before they closed it.

I'm sorry, but what the actual f-. This proves you know NOTHING about this building you are making very pointed comments on.

It's true. I have gone Ned Flaherty on this one from Day 1. I don't care. I stand by my opposition. Seaport buildings don't belong downtown, period.

Back